Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Nov 12, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #3,721 of 7,699
Hey.
I got a pair of IE-80. Im happy with these except the fact that i accidently broke of one of the metal pegs inside my cabel (connecting to the driver, not the audio-device). Hence i need a new cable.
Any idea where i can get a good looking one, preferably white or black that fits?

Nov 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #3,722 of 7,699
Hey.
I got a pair of IE-80. Im happy with these except the fact that i accidently broke of one of the metal pegs inside my cabel (connecting to the driver, not the audio-device). Hence i need a new cable.
Any idea where i can get a good looking one, preferably white or black that fits?

check this out:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633501/aftermarket-iem-cable-list-work-in-progress

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #3,723 of 7,699
 Hi everyone..   Has anyone used Comply tips with these ?    If so, what did you think re seal and sound ?

I have tried sony tips, mee tips and the ones that came with the IE80 and so far the medium single flange that came with them offer the best seal and comfort but they are not perfect. The seal is almost right but not perfect and i thought the Comply Tips may do it. Any thoughts on the wax protection versions ?

Thanks in advance

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #3,724 of 7,699
Quote:
 Hi everyone..   Has anyone used Comply tips with these ?    If so, what did you think re seal and sound ?

I have tried sony tips, mee tips and the ones that came with the IE80 and so far the medium single flange that came with them offer the best seal and comfort but they are not perfect. The seal is almost right but not perfect and i thought the Comply Tips may do it. Any thoughts on the wax protection versions ?

Thanks in advance

I have, when I attempted to find differences between the IE80 and my IE8's a long time ago, I used the tips from my old Vmoda Spins, some Sony Hybrids and two different sized Comply T-400/500 tips. I found the Hybrids to provide a better then the Comply's but currently on my IE8, for my ears I just prefer the medium size flat double flanged stock tip Sennheiser gives you, which would be the same if I had a pair of IE80's here. A better seal will provide better isolation, tighter and more bass presence, greater detail retrieval and a slightly more forward sound due to a perfect seal within your ears.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #3,725 of 7,699
 DefQon,

Thanks for the reply.  For my ears the Sony's just don't work. The single flange MEE's are pretty good but they do change the sound ever so slightly for the worse. I find the Senni double flange too big...  Guess i will ust have to buy and try but that could get expensive with the price of the Comply..

Thanks

Nov 14, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #3,726 of 7,699
Quote:
 DefQon,

Thanks for the reply.  For my ears the Sony's just don't work. The single flange MEE's are pretty good but they do change the sound ever so slightly for the worse. I find the Senni double flange too big...  Guess i will ust have to buy and try but that could get expensive with the price of the Comply..

Thanks

Are you using the large single flanges? If those are working for you I highly recommend the JVC tips I got from ebay. Works like a charm and has the best sound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compatible-10-x-JVC-Ear-Bud-Gel-Tips-Various-Colours-Size-Large-/350641817460?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item905f3bef71

He also has medium and small. I recommend the black ones as that is the same material on mine. I'm not so sure about the different colors.

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #3,727 of 7,699
 Hi Lee730,

I am using he medium single flange .. I think i will get me some equivalents in the JVC and see how they go..

Thanks

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #3,730 of 7,699
Hi all!I'm from Italy and this is my first post!After a year with my Klipsch Image S4,which sounded really good,I've decided to upgrade and buy these ie80. After reading a lot of reviews and also this entire impressions thread I was prepared to go from the good sound of S4 to the almost perfects IE80 with their wonderful bass , clarity and an amazing soundstage.So last week I bought them from Amazon and when they arrived I plug them immediately in the pc and let them play for about 50 hours because i knew from my search that both IE8 and IE80 does improve very much with break in/burn in.Now,I do notice an overall improvement: the bass is much more controlled and not overpowering like out of the box, also the soundstage is more open.But there's something that doesn't convince me.It's like the IE80 sounds like S4's with more bass,when I A/B them I found they are "similar" ,not into another planet.I know that S4's have a year and the sennheiser just  a week with 50 hours.What is your advice?Do I have to wait and give them more time or thinking to sell them now in order to replace with another IEM?Thank you very much and sorry for my english
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #3,731 of 7,699
I purchased the comply tx500s myself and can recommend them.  I was coming from the double flange that was provided with the ie 80 and for me the isolation was a lot better.  Obviously YMMV as everyones ear canals are different.  My advice would be to just experiment and find one that works for you.

Nov 14, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #3,732 of 7,699
Thank for your advice!So you think it's a problem of finding the rights tips?Yeah i've read a lot of good reviews about those comply t500 but i've seen also that they last about two months and then they have to be changed.I've spent a lot for my IE80(consider that i've come from a 50$ iem) and comply tips are "expensive" talking about tips.And i don't want to spend  20 $ every two months just for tips..others suggestions?

Nov 14, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #3,733 of 7,699
Quote:
Hi all!I'm from Italy and this is my first post!After a year with my Klipsch Image S4,which sounded really good,I've decided to upgrade and buy these ie80. After reading a lot of reviews and also this entire impressions thread I was prepared to go from the good sound of S4 to the almost perfects IE80 with their wonderful bass , clarity and an amazing soundstage.So last week I bought them from Amazon and when they arrived I plug them immediately in the pc and let them play for about 50 hours because i knew from my search that both IE8 and IE80 does improve very much with break in/burn in.Now,I do notice an overall improvement: the bass is much more controlled and not overpowering like out of the box, also the soundstage is more open.But there's something that doesn't convince me.It's like the IE80 sounds like S4's with more bass,when I A/B them I found they are "similar" ,not into another planet.I know that S4's have a year and the sennheiser just  a week with 50 hours.What is your advice?Do I have to wait and give them more time or thinking to sell them now in order to replace with another IEM?Thank you very much and sorry for my english
bigsmile_face.gif

Hi mate. Welcome and sorry about your wallet.

First thing I'd say is that if I were to be in your shoes, I'd probably not expect too much in sound quality update when moving from the Klipsch S4. I know you'd think that you got the right to do so, and I wholly agree, but given the diminishing return law and the fact that the S4 is already very good bang for buck to begin with, I'm quite afraid you can't. However, the improvement in sound quality should be substantial and noticeable, so if you deem that is not worth what you've paid for, sell them and move on.

Next, have you checked the fit, the seal and the bass knobs? Make sure you have experimented all the stock tips to find ones that suit you the best. Also make sure that the bass knobs are turned to minimum and do not push the earpieces all the way down your canals. I found that even though the latter one tends to give me a better seal, it sacrifices soundstage in the process while making me look silly. Try to make some room between the canals and the earpieces.

Lastly, how about keeping them burned in for another 100 hours and seeing if there is any further improvement in SQ? The trick is to leave them burned in without hearing them, so that your brain does not get adjusted to the sound signature and any changes along the process.

Hopefully they'll remain with you afterwards :) 

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #3,734 of 7,699
Quote:
Hi mate. Welcome and sorry about your wallet.

First thing I'd say is that if I were to be in your shoes, I'd probably not expect too much in sound quality update when moving from the Klipsch S4. I know you'd think that you got the right to do so, and I wholly agree, but given the diminishing return law and the fact that the S4 is already very good bang for buck to begin with, I'm quite afraid you can't. However, the improvement in sound quality should be substantial and noticeable, so if you deem that is not worth what you've paid for, sell them and move on.

Next, have you checked the fit, the seal and the bass knobs? Make sure you have experimented all the stock tips to find ones that suit you the best. Also make sure that the bass knobs are turned to minimum and do not push the earpieces all the way down your canals. I found that even though the latter one tends to give me a better seal, it sacrifices soundstage in the process while making me look silly. Try to make some room between the canals and the earpieces.

Lastly, how about keeping them burned in for another 100 hours and seeing if there is any further improvement in SQ? The trick is to leave them burned in without hearing them, so that your brain does not get adjusted to the sound signature and any changes along the process.

Hopefully they'll remain with you afterwards :)

Hi mate!ok i'll try to give them some more time and see if something change
bigsmile_face.gif
When you do a research on internet you find comparisons between differents ones of the same range of price,so when i started my research to find the ultimate iem my Klipsch were compared to others like shure se215 or Brainwavez ecc..so i thought that IE80 were another world,given the price.But i don't hear that " sparkle " with them..Which iem do you think is the bang for the buck in this price range?I've read some about Ortofon eq-5..

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #3,735 of 7,699
Quote:
Hi mate!ok i'll try to give them some more time and see if something change
bigsmile_face.gif
When you do a research on internet you find comparisons between differents ones of the same range of price,so when i started my research to find the ultimate iem my Klipsch were compared to others like shure se215 or Brainwavez ecc..so i thought that IE80 were another world,given the price.But i don't hear that " sparkle " with them..Which iem do you think is the bang for the buck in this price range?I've read some about Ortofon eq-5..

It you want the top IEMs regarding sparkle consider FX700, EX1000, MDR-7550. Or you can try put 2 small pieces of tape over the bass knobs and that will at a lot more detail to the IE80s and make the treble more sparkly, the mids more upfront and the bass more controlled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back