Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #3,737 of 7,699
e-Q5 is a tad sparkly, but not too much. It's very good for $200, so I think maybe you might just want to eq them until they meet you're taste. They're very easy to eq.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #3,738 of 7,699
Quote:
Thank for your advice!So you think it's a problem of finding the rights tips?Yeah i've read a lot of good reviews about those comply t500 but i've seen also that they last about two months and then they have to be changed.I've spent a lot for my IE80(consider that i've come from a 50$ iem) and comply tips are "expensive" talking about tips.And i don't want to spend  20 $ every two months just for tips..others suggestions?

I only use my ie80s with the comply tx500 tips for my commute to and from work and in the office (no gym).  I always put my ie80s in a lint free carrying case when not in use. I regularly clean my ear canals with q-tips.  My tips have lasted 8 months already and look good as new.  I still have two brand new ones which i haven't even touched (come in packs of 3 for $20).

I have a feeling that the individuals who have stated that they only last two months do not have OCD like i do. LOL.  Like anything, if you take care if it, it will last.  I don't think you have to worry about them wearing out quick.  Just my 2 cents. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #3,739 of 7,699
Ok guys!First of all I'll let them burn in for a while and then maybe I'll try to get those comply tips.Maybe it's because I listen to electronic,not classic like many of you do,and i think that ie80 show their full potential in music genres like that,because of soundstage and detail and with me they are wasted.

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #3,740 of 7,699
Quote:
It you want the top IEMs regarding sparkle consider FX700, EX1000, MDR-7550. Or you can try put 2 small pieces of tape over the bass knobs and that will at a lot more detail to the IE80s and make the treble more sparkly, the mids more upfront and the bass more controlled.

@zlorena
The tape mode is a very noticeable improvement and you can also change the cable for a 6N OFHC Silver Plated. You can easily find one for not so much bucks, hope you will like them :)

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #3,741 of 7,699
I think, there is noticable improvement in sq after 50-100-150 hours of burn-in. It worth to wait. And yes, with eq you can also achieve unexpected differences. :) 
Upgrading from my previous IE7 I also expected 'an other world' in sounding, which I thought, I didn't get first time. But I can suggest, take your time with listening. The details, the clarity. Much better. Just listen. :) Also there is much depending on the source you use. And the eq of the source of course.
Concerning tips: I struggled with factory tips a lot. Didn't have proper seal, or if I had, then it was uncomfortable after short time. I purchased Comply tips. Much-much better experience. Much more comfortable, and the seal is also good. My only problem is, the earphone sticks out from my ear more. And after 3-4 hours of constant listening, I still can feel it a bit unconfortable.
I am thinking about buying custom sleeves from ACS. It is bloody expensive, but if I can have the 'perfect' experience in comfort, and maybe even better isolation, it might worth the price. Any experience with ACS custom sleeves?
(My silver plated cable arriving soon. Details later.)

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #3,742 of 7,699
Thank you all for your suggestions
bigsmile_face.gif
I've tried the tape mod,it's not bad but i prefer without..But i am feeling quite happy because i'm listening now my ie80 after leaving them burn-in since yesterday morning..and i do notice a very good improvement,now everything is a lot more detailed,the bass is the same but mids and trebles are much more prominent..I don't now if it is the burn in or just my cowon but everything is more exciting!Now when i switch back to my Klipsch i can hear the difference!At the moment they have about 75 hours..but at this moment i want to hear how they're gonna sound next days..next stop :150 hours
popcorn.gif
and of course i'll try others tips!

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #3,743 of 7,699
My silver plated upgrade cable has arrived. 
I know, there is a debate if it makes any change in sound quality or it is just placebo effect. 
In my opinion it makes a difference. Maybe 15-20% more clarity, and detail. I even feel the soundstage improved. Feel it more balanced. Smoother but more defined highs, same good mids, and more controlled bass. All of them in better balance. 
That's my personal impression. I do not expect everyone to agree. :) 

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #3,745 of 7,699
I'm about to purchase a pair of these headphones and I'm extremely excited since there has been so much positive feedback.
I plan to buy the Silver Toxic Cables to go with them, but I have just a few questions...

What's the difference between this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sennheiser-IE8-IE80-OCC-Pure-7N-Stranded-Silver-Upgrade-Cable-by-Toxic-Cables-/120980926065?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_Cables_Adapters&hash=item1c2b066e71

and this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sennheiser-IE8-IE80-OCC-7N-Stranded-SPC-Upgrade-Cable-by-Toxic-Cables-/110947624762?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_Cables_Adapters&hash=item19d4fe673a

The price for one is way more, is it just due to the gold or does it provide better quality build/sound?
I listen to A LOT of music (about ten+ hours a day), so I'm really trying to just purchase a pair I know will be one of the best out there and last.
These cables seem very sturdy and efficient for the job, how long do they generally hold up (as well as the headphones themselves) and has anyone had any problems with either?

Another question is does the Toxic Cable guy provide these in any color other than silver?
I saw a pair of cables in his inventory that had a blue hue and thought they looked absolutely incredible, they could work really well with the blue comply tips!

Do amplifiers greatly enhance the sound quality of these?

I'm looking into purchasing a FiiO E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier since it's so cheap on Amazon at the moment - would it go well with these or are there better amplifiers out there to increase the sound quality?

Last one, are Comply tips the "best" as far as comfort and quality are concerned?
If anyone has any other recommendations, why would you choose it over Comply?

Thanks for anyone who responds, really appreciate it since I'm new here!

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #3,746 of 7,699
The difference between the two cables is a little word, 'pure'. Which in my terms doesn't worth 40 quids. I think, there might be an almost innoticable difference between the two cables, definitely not worth 40 quids. I would go for the cheaper one.

I have no experience with durability of upgrade cables. But previously I owned an IE7, for for years. Ive never had any problems nor with the headphone itself, niether the cable. It is durable. I didnt even use the carrying case most of the time. I guess, IE80 has the same nature...

I think, IE80 is fine with almost any source without amplifier. Although I havent tried it with amplifier...

I think, only custom sleeves are better than comply tips. But its still a question for me, if it worth the money...

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #3,747 of 7,699
Quote:
The difference between the two cables is a little word, 'pure'. Which in my terms doesn't worth 40 quids. I think, there might be an almost innoticable difference between the two cables, definitely not worth 40 quids. I would go for the cheaper one.

I have no experience with durability of upgrade cables. But previously I owned an IE7, for for years. Ive never had any problems nor with the headphone itself, niether the cable. It is durable. I didnt even use the carrying case most of the time. I guess, IE80 has the same nature...

I think, IE80 is fine with almost any source without amplifier. Although I havent tried it with amplifier...

I think, only custom sleeves are better than comply tips. But its still a question for me, if it worth the money...

Not just pure. One of them is actual silver cable while the other is silver plated. Most likely copper with silver plating. There is a difference between them. I've owned both and prefer the pure silver cable to it on my IEMs. Silver plated makes the sound smoother and still is a nice improvement over the original cable. But pure silver cable makes it noticeably more cleaner, detailed with a larger sound stage. Less warmth and more emphasis on treble and mids. Bass is tightened up. Less mid bass and more focus on sub bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back