Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #3,166 of 7,699
Quote:
Does a pair of sample comply tips come with the ie80s? one of the biggest problems I had with the GR07s is that none of the sony hybrid tips gave any noise isolation. 

No comply tips come with the ie80, but...I did offer my medium or large for postage only as I only use the small that came in the sample pack.

Question. What do you all have the bass port set to. Low...medium...full or in between? 

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #3,167 of 7,699
Did you order those JVC tips I recommended Matt. If they give you a good seal and comfort you'll eventually know what I mean by the comply tips muffling the IE80s sound. I don't recommend complies on them at all. Ruins the sound. Plus the comply tips are the very reason why my IE8s broke in the first place (ripped the nozzle of the driver trying to take the comply tip off, beware).

Edit: Looks like I'm not the only one to have this issue. As I said, BEWARE!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/398251/sennheiser-ie8-and-comply-tip-warning

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #3,168 of 7,699
hi guys, i listen to a lot of music with my ie80's from my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7. I've just bought an Ibasso D2 Boa secondhand to run from both (rooted with custom kernel and tweaks allows usb dacs on phone/tablet) Will the Boa with the ie80s be a good combination? What should i run the 'gain' setting at with the ie80s? It will be my first dac/amp so looking forward to hearing the results. I was looking at a Fiio e7 or e17, but the secondhand D2 worked out cheaper and from what i've read they only get better with age? I've read the D2 can pick up interference from the phone so will run in aeroplane mode or probaby do most of my listening with the Nexus 7 if thats the case.

Cheers,
Mick

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #3,169 of 7,699
@micksaddress: I'm not using any gain with my ipod/e17 setup. They are plenty easy to drive for me.

@lee730: I've not ordered the JVC tips that you suggested. I believe that was a UK site and I was looking for a US seller, but I'll keep looking. The comply tips are not perfect but they work better than any of the stock tips for me. It would be wonderful if the JVC tips worked ever better!!

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #3,171 of 7,699
Quote:
@micksaddress: I'm not using any gain with my ipod/e17 setup. They are plenty easy to drive for me.

@lee730: I've not ordered the JVC tips that you suggested. I believe that was a UK site and I was looking for a US seller, but I'll keep looking. The comply tips are not perfect but they work better than any of the stock tips for me. It would be wonderful if the JVC tips worked ever better!!

True but the price he charges is very cheap and shipping is cheap as well. He has the best deal for those ear pieces. A seller here in the USA charges almost $6.00 for those tips (only 3 pairs) and an additional 4.50 for shipping. He charges around $5.00 with shipping for 8 pairs or is it 6? :p lol.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #3,172 of 7,699
Okay, you've talked me into it. I'll give it a shot. Worst case, I'll send you a nice set of tips. I'll send you the medium/large anyway as I only use the small. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #3,173 of 7,699
I just got the JVC tips that were recomended here and they are a lot better than stock, still not perfect though. The medium tips are a smidge smaller for there to be a perfect seal, Hoping the large will do the same. To this date, the only tips that gave me the PERFECT seal, perfect enough to be a pop whenever i removed my IEMs were the Westone silicone tips. These tips were such a perfect fit that sometimes due to the air pressure building up I would get headaches after long listening sessions... 

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #3,176 of 7,699
Thank you Matt!
This is Silver, very good quality cable, but i was not having a lot free time to make my cable more pretty. 
What i've got: more mids, more controlled sound, better drum kicks, little more details, better instrumental separation in depths, every instrument has it's own place. Not a huge difference, but when i plugged my stock cable, all this things became little muddy.
Also stock ear hooks with silver cable are super comfortable! :)

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #3,177 of 7,699
Quote:
Thank you Matt!
This is Silver, very good quality cable, but i was not having a lot free time to make my cable more pretty. 
What i've got: more mids, more controlled sound, better drum kicks, little more details, better instrumental separation in depths, every instrument has it's own place. Not a huge difference, but when i plugged my stock cable, all this things became little muddy.
Also stock ear hooks with silver cable are super comfortable! :)

Is this the toxic cable?

Just today I got the silver galaxy cable. So far it's a let down tbh. He is a mini review:

*nice looking and well built top to bottom with nice touches on the plug and yoke
*uncomfortable to wear particularly around the ears-mine came "pre-bent" for wearing over the ear. I working on shaping it more as it presses hard against the rim of my ear
*I was hoping to get a cable the was somewhat more flexible or at least as flexible as the stock cable. It's not as flexible as the stock cable.
*It may be that I'm imagining things but to get the same volume, I've got to raise the gain a notch from +0 to +6 on my e17. This seems strange to me. I've never heard of a cable being more difficult to drive. 
blink.gif

*this cable really picks up sound as you move around and it bumps and scrapes against things.  microphonics? 
*Sound-this is what it really comes down to. My expectation with this cable was to bring out the mids a bit and make the bass a little less boomy and give it more texture instead. I just don't hear those improvements. I'm not really a believe in cable burn in but I'll give it a shot. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #3,178 of 7,699
Quote:
Noob question...should the end of any tip be even with the outside of the flange of the iem?

I am also interested in this answer...

Jack

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #3,179 of 7,699
Quote:

Is this the toxic cable?

Just today I got the silver galaxy cable. So far it's a let down tbh. He is a mini review:

*nice looking and well built top to bottom with nice touches on the plug and yoke
*uncomfortable to wear particularly around the ears-mine came "pre-bent" for wearing over the ear. I working on shaping it more as it presses hard against the rim of my ear
*I was hoping to get a cable the was somewhat more flexible or at least as flexible as the stock cable. It's not as flexible as the stock cable.
*It may be that I'm imagining things but to get the same volume, I've got to raise the gain a notch from +0 to +6 on my e17. This seems strange to me. I've never heard of a cable being more difficult to drive. 
blink.gif

*this cable really picks up sound as you move around and it bumps and scrapes against things.  micro phonics? 
*Sound-this is what it really comes down to. My expectation with this cable was to bring out the mids a bit and make the bass a little less boomy and give it more texture instead. I just don't hear those improvements. I'm not really a believe in cable burn in but I'll give it a shot. 

Sorry to hear your disappointment with the cable. I'm also skeptical about cable burn in myself but the sound did improve further after running in the IEMs with the cable for some time. I'd say let it continue playing on a loop. I also say don't come to a final conclusion until you get those other tips. I find the comply tips to muddy up everything and ruin the IE80s intended sound. You may not realize this until you have tried the proper tips and do a direct comparison between the sound. I also found the complys very comfortable but once I spent time with them and compared them to my other tips, they were garbage. I much rather have both comfort and sound quality over just comfort. Regarding the micro-phonics, use the chin strap and synch it up a bit, not too tight though, that should help with micro phonics on the cable. Now the flexibility of the cable is something that can't be helped. You won't find a more flexible cable that came with the IE80s on the market. At least not that I've seen. You had mentioned using gain settings on your amp? Not sure if the gain is adding bass emphasis if you are concerned in this regard. That is one thing I notice while using gain, also it brings the mids more upfront.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #3,180 of 7,699
Quote:
Is this the toxic cable?

No. This is cable from Space Station, one old plant was situated in USSR in my city, so we've got some really steam-punk/super old school things on our special gangsta shops:) This is true. 
Yes, mine is also not so flexible, but with ear hooks it is very comfortable, try too! Donno why, but seal become great.
Also mine bass regulator still stands on minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back