Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #3,196 of 7,699
OMG. I was worried about how the Studio V would pair now with the IE80.... It's even better than before :wink:. Now I'm wondering if I should sell the MDR-7550s and try the REO272s out....

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #3,197 of 7,699
So can someone please explain this to me. The bass port of the ie80 would work to do essentially the same  thing as the tape correct? 

Closed=less bass

Open=more bass

If so, then how would the tape make any difference? Just asking....

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #3,198 of 7,699
Quote:
So can someone please explain this to me. The bass port of the ie80 would work to do essentially the same  thing as the tape correct? 

Closed=less bass

Open=more bass

Well Matt the point of the mod is to cover that Port because even at minimal settings it is still opened which is increasing bass presence. It is never fully closed. It acts as a vent. Best way to find out is listen for yourself and come to a conclusion. I figured I wouldn't like it but its actually better that way for some reason.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #3,199 of 7,699
Quote:
You may want to keep a universal custom fit IEM in mind. I for one had issues with my Customs regarding comfort. Seems my ears are very sensitive to acrylic touching the inside of my ears which leads to severe pain with long use. With the silicon tips it prevents that.

Edit: Looks like I'm gonna be keeping those vents covered :wink:. More detailed now than ever.... These things are now excelling very much at dub-step and rock which I thought they lacked slilghtly in before...

No offence.
But i've found that it totally changes whats to be liked about the IE80s.

If anyone, prefers the IE80s sound with it's ventilation covered, u prolly selected the wrong iem to begin with.
I've heard many other IEMs that produces awesome mids and highs with lesser bass.

IMO the IE80s is about bass together with the rest of the audio spectrum, it sounds bassy without covering too much of the mids.
If u want clear mids and highs with lesser bass, iems like the pfe2xx and se535red might be better suited.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #3,200 of 7,699
Okay, I'll give it a listen then. Can't hurt anything. If it works great, then I'll market sound enhancing tape the ie80 @ $10 per set. 
wink_face.gif

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #3,201 of 7,699
Quote:
No offence.
But i've found that it totally changes whats to be liked about the IE80s.

If anyone, prefers the IE80s sound with it's ventilation covered, u prolly selected the wrong iem to begin with.
I've heard many other IEMs that produces awesome mids and highs with lesser bass.

IMO the IE80s is about bass together with the rest of the audio spectrum, it sounds bassy without covering too much of the mids.
If u want clear mids and highs with lesser bass, iems like the pfe2xx and se535red might be better suited.

Tried SE535s and I found them to be crap. So I doubt that. What the mod does though is it does lower mid bass noticeably. Sub bass is tighter. I just happen to like the enhancements it brings to the overall sound. Sound staging is also still large with the vents covered. Not as large with it opened but its not a huge difference. A slight sacrifice in that area.

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #3,203 of 7,699
Quote:
Matt, what about burning time? Sennheiser will show their love to you after 150-200 hours of burning time.

I'm getting plenty of love now. TBH I think that they sound pretty damned good out of the box with my crappy comply tips. I have high hopes that they JVC tips will be accomodating to my strangely shaped ear canals. I did burn them overnight for about three nights though. Don't get me wrong at all...I love these hp's!!

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #3,204 of 7,699
Quote:

Closed=less bass

Open=more bass

Which way is closed? Totally clockwise looking at it with the Port facing UP-little marks going from small to larger?

Thanks

jack

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #3,205 of 7,699
To the far left gives the least amount of bass. That is to the far left if you are looking at the back of the driver with the connector at the top.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #3,207 of 7,699
Quote:

I'm getting plenty of love now. TBH I think that they sound pretty damned good out of the box with my crappy comply tips. I have high hopes that they JVC tips will be accomodating to my strangely shaped ear canals. I did burn them overnight for about three nights though. Don't get me wrong at all...I love these hp's!!

So matt did you try the tape mod? Been really enjoying them with my Studio V 3rd ANV. Feel asleep with them in :wink:.

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #3,208 of 7,699
Quote:
So matt did you try the tape mod? Been really enjoying them with my Studio V 3rd ANV. Feel asleep with them in :wink:.

Yeah, I tried the tape mod. It wasn't for me. I did hear what you described, but I think that we have somewhat of a different preferred sound signature. I like a warmer organic sound...a little dark even.  It wasn't for me. 

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #3,209 of 7,699
hey Matt, I know it might be apples to oranges, but i was wondering if u could elaborate on the difference in bass/subbass between ie80 and he-400. I mean texture, tightness, visceral impact, layering etc.?

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #3,210 of 7,699
Just bought a pair of these earlier today, before my test... Cost $509 NZD (about 420 USD) which is definately overpriced
frown.gif
, but amazon.it doesn't ship to New Zealand. Would make my life easier sorting out anything if it broke though.
Been lurking there for two months or so, after I lost my 2nd pair of cx300ii's (broke the 1st one) and a friend referred me here. Was looking at the m50's cause I was sick of losing tips of all my in-ears. Then I came across these and have been thinking of them ever since
biggrin.gif

Can't wait to pick them up on Saturday
redface.gif

My first pair of high-end in-ears^ ^; Thanks for all the reviews and comments, suckered me into buying them:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back