Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #1,517 of 7,699

Quote:
DO NOT USE HYBRIDS, they mess up the soundstage and rape the treble because their opening is smaller than the IE80's nozzle..

If you look back a few pages you'll find the links to tips I've posted. Basically V-moda clear tips and JVC large silicon tips. They work wonders with the IE80 and FX700s.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #1,518 of 7,699

Quote:
What do you mean by "bringing the flash"? Are you talking about micro SD cards? They are quite small but very portable and having 32 GB cards on the cheap now ($30.00) is a much more efficient way of having lots of music on the go. Soon the 64GB cards will be reasonably priced and at that point will completely solve my upgraditis.

The only way I could explain the IE80 with the Studio V to you is imagine your IE80s with even more clarity/transparency, more detail, very wide sound stage. Where the coloration is coming from the IE80 and not the DAP so letting you hear what the IE80 is really capable of. Left and right channel balance crazy good.

How is the portability and navigation with the studio V?

With ape/flac, I assume it can't take many tracks even with the card expansion. Even for 320kbps, I am running out of space on my 64gb iphone.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #1,519 of 7,699

Quote:
How is the portability and navigation with the studio V?

With ape/flac, I assume it can't take many tracks even with the card expansion. Even for 320kbps, I am running out of space on my 64gb iphone.

Lets just say its super easy. There are a couple quirks with it which I recommend Jack fix through firmware update. But its much easier to navigate than the Sflo2 and even Hifiman. The Hifiman is easy to navigate but its very slow and clunky which irritates me. The Studio is very simple (which some even complain about) and fast to use. I just set up my folders in playlist type style and drag and drop. I can then access all the folders via the resource directory and let her rip. Battery life is ridiculously long and you won't find yourself charging it everyday like the iphone. I'd say once a week is conservative depending on how much you use it. Using the device in 5 hour intervals will yield you 55+ hour of FLAC playback. Even longer with lower bit files.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,520 of 7,699

Quote:
Lets just say its super easy. There are a couple quirks with it which I recommend Jack fix through firmware update. But its much easier to navigate than the Sflo2 and even Hifiman. The Hifiman is easy to navigate but its very slow and clunky which irritates me. The Studio is very simple (which some even complain about) and fast to use. I just set up my folders in playlist type style and drag and drop. I can then access all the folders via the resource directory and let her rip. Battery life is ridiculously long and you won't find yourself charging it everyday like the iphone. I'd say once a week is conservative depending on how much you use it. Using the device in 5 hour intervals will yield you 55+ hour of FLAC playback. Even longer with lower bit files.

Just by looking at the pic it's hard to believe the ease of navigation thru playlists/tracks like my iphone though.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #1,522 of 7,699

Quote:
Just by looking at the pic it's hard to believe the ease of navigation thru playlists/tracks like my iphone though.

Its a very simple and basic UI. The screen isn't large though like on the iphone its minimalist and the scrolling is actually very fast. When you hold down or up it will scroll through the files fast. I don't use playlists on this device put have my folders which are set up like I would have my playlists with those specific files in each folder.

The V does have hiss though so that also may not be to your liking. But for me it sounds so good that I can look past it. Generally when I'm listening to music I don't hear the hiss as the music covers it. Maybe you should go with the Sony if you don't mind living with its shortcomings. The expandability would be the biggest issue though.

I really don't know what else I could recommend you that would be somewhat reasonably priced lol. I mean the DX100 would be the ultimate for a DAP but its very expensive. Still waiting to get mine back from RMA but that is the player if you are concerned mainly with Audio Quality and user interface all in one. I hear cowons are pretty good but I'm sure that sony will $hit all over it sound quality wise. I am selling my Hifiman 601 if you would be interested in checking it out lol.

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #1,523 of 7,699
Yes, the Sony DAP may lack "expandability" in terms of storage options, but in another way it's actually more "expandable" than the RoCoo players in that it will be more amiable to use with a portable amp later on if you decide to get one. From what I've read, the RoCoo players sound odd when paired with most amps and are better as stand-alones. The hiss issue is something that automatically kills the deal for the Studio V for me personally. With the Sony, if there's any hiss, a portable amp will eliminate that. Of course, portable amps add bulk and can be awkward to tote around. Some people prefer an all-in-one solution.

No DAP is perfect. There's always pros and cons to consider. The important thing is how it fits your requirements.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #1,525 of 7,699

Quote:
 I hear cowons are pretty good but I'm sure that sony will $hit all over it sound quality wise.

I've got both Sony NWZ-A828 and Cowon J3, and I can't say that I understand that statement.. In what way would Sony **** all over Cowon? Have you heard Sony DAPs or Cowon DAPs?

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #1,526 of 7,699

Quote:
I hear cowons are pretty good but I'm sure that sony will $hit all over it sound quality wise.

Quote:
I've got both Sony NWZ-A828 and Cowon J3, and I can't say that I understand that statement.. In what way would Sony **** all over Cowon? Have you heard Sony DAPs or Cowon DAPs?

^^^^^^ What Combat said.....

Not sure how lee730 can say he's SURE sony will beat Cowon when it sounds like he has never heard a Cowon based on his wording...   I had a Sony X for well over a year and moved to a Cowon J3 which sounds quite a bit better to me... 

Not sure what DAC the Sony's use or how the EQ is implemented, but the J3 uses a Wolfson DAC and the EQ is hardware based...not software based...  I've never wished I still had my Sony.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #1,528 of 7,699

Quote:
Its a very simple and basic UI. The screen isn't large though like on the iphone its minimalist and the scrolling is actually very fast. When you hold down or up it will scroll through the files fast. I don't use playlists on this device put have my folders which are set up like I would have my playlists with those specific files in each folder.

The V does have hiss though so that also may not be to your liking. But for me it sounds so good that I can look past it. Generally when I'm listening to music I don't hear the hiss as the music covers it. Maybe you should go with the Sony if you don't mind living with its shortcomings. The expandability would be the biggest issue though.

I really don't know what else I could recommend you that would be somewhat reasonably priced lol. I mean the DX100 would be the ultimate for a DAP but its very expensive. Still waiting to get mine back from RMA but that is the player if you are concerned mainly with Audio Quality and user interface all in one. I hear cowons are pretty good but I'm sure that sony will $hit all over it sound quality wise. I am selling my Hifiman 601 if you would be interested in checking it out lol.

It doesn't look like I will go that route to studio V or Hifiman 601 based on my preference. I am happy with the iphone+IE80 combo, but I will probably get a backup player with better SQ.

Quote:

How does the IE80 sound without amps on these two? Any noticeable difference in SQ between the two or even ipod classic/iphone if you own them too?

Quote:
The NW-Z1070 most likely has better sound quality compared to older Sony DAPs, including the A and X series. Basing a comparison of the Z series to anything off of experience with the X or A series is no less speculation, tbo.

That's what I have read. I never owned a sony dap and would like to try one.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #1,530 of 7,699

Quote:
The NW-Z1070 most likely has better sound quality compared to older Sony DAPs, including the A and X series. Basing a comparison of the Z series to anything off of experience with the X or A series is no less speculation, tbo.

Lee did not specify which series he was referring to, which (still) leads me to believe that he is talking about the DAP manufacturers products in general terms. Sony DAPs vs Cowon DAPs. As for the Z series, I have not heard them and will therefore not compare them to other DAPs. In general terms though, I am not convinced that Sonys would "$hit all over cowons".

Quote:

How does the IE80 sound without amps on these two? Any noticeable difference in SQ between the two or even ipod classic/iphone if you own them too?

I can do some testing for you tomorrow. It's a 2 AM over here, so it's a little late for that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back