Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #1,501 of 7,699
How are the seal on these? Do they leak? If anyone can compare these to the ER-4S/EX-1000/IE8, I would really appreciate it. 
smile.gif

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #1,502 of 7,699

Quote:
How are the seal on these? Do they leak? If anyone can compare these to the ER-4S/EX-1000/IE8, I would really appreciate it. 
smile.gif

They seal just as well as the IE8 does. Definitely isolates better than the EX1000. The sound is an improvement over the IE8 IMO.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #1,506 of 7,699
I  have been checking out the IE8 for a long time now, but now am totally undecided whether IE80 or IE8 is the one to get.

In summary, do you guys think IE 80 is worth the price difference, or I should stick to getting the IE8 ?

Thanks.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #1,507 of 7,699

Quote:
I  have been checking out the IE8 for a long time now, but now am totally undecided whether IE80 or IE8 is the one to get.

In summary, do you guys think IE 80 is worth the price difference, or I should stick to getting the IE8 ?

Thanks.

"Worth" is a totally subjective thing in our hobby, and putting a monetary value on sound is quite difficult. That being said, prices on the IE80 have dropped quite a bit recently. Seems most in this thread find the IE80 to be worth the upgrade from the IE8, especially as the IE8 is notorious for needing EQing to even it out, whereas the IE80 "corrects" the issues many people had with the IE8.

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #1,508 of 7,699
What kind of equipment are you guys using for your IE80s? Im looking for a good portable/USB DAC/Amp to drive these IEMs (preferably one that i can use on my mp3 player and laptop), but it's so hard to make a decision. There's Fiio's offerings, but i get the impression that they are entry level. iBasso also has some options like the D-Zero, D6, and D7, but maybe those are overkill for IEMs.

Any suggestions? 

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #1,509 of 7,699

Quote:
What kind of equipment are you guys using for your IE80s? Im looking for a good portable/USB DAC/Amp to drive these IEMs (preferably one that i can use on my mp3 player and laptop), but it's so hard to make a decision. There's Fiio's offerings, but i get the impression that they are entry level. iBasso also has some options like the D-Zero, D6, and D7, but maybe those are overkill for IEMs.

Any suggestions? 

What is your budget? If you want a great amp for IEMs that also has a DAC then the UHA4 is the best choice. It has a digital pot so you have lots of volume control even at low volume listening (no channel imbalance).

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #1,511 of 7,699

Quote:
Im looking to spend up to 200 euro, although i could go a little higher than that if necessary. I'll have a look at the UHA4, thanks for the suggestion. Is it better than FiiO's products?

I would have to say yes lol. This amp is an arrow killer ($300+ amp) and hangs with the higher tier portable IEM amps while still giving you a great value.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #1,512 of 7,699
Heard the SONY NW-Z1070 has a better SQ than the Apple's. I am thinking of getting one 64GB when it is available for sale in the States.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #1,513 of 7,699

Quote:
Heard the SONY NW-Z1070 has a better SQ than the Apple's. I am thinking of getting one 64GB when it is available for sale in the States.

Lostid did you ever consider getting a DAP that won't limit your expandability? The sony sure does sound nice but its limited on-board and lack of lossless support (It may support WAV but a huge waste of space) just killed it for me.

I kinda wish I could let you hear my Studio V with you IE80s, I think you'd officially throw your iphone off the Pali look out :wink:.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #1,514 of 7,699

Quote:
Lostid did you ever consider getting a DAP that won't limit your expandability? The sony sure does sound nice but its limited on-board and lack of lossless support (It may support WAV but a huge waste of space) just killed it for me.

I kinda wish I could let you hear my Studio V with you IE80s, I think you'd officially throw your iphone off the Pali look out :wink:.

I understand the lack of support for ape/flac, but I want the portability and the ease of navigating thru the playlists and tracks. I am not so keen on the idea of bringing the flash.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #1,515 of 7,699

Quote:
I understand the lack of support for ape/flac, but I want the portability and the ease of navigating thru the playlists and tracks. I am not so keen on the idea of bringing the flash.

What do you mean by "bringing the flash"? Are you talking about micro SD cards? They are quite small but very portable and having 32 GB cards on the cheap now ($30.00) is a much more efficient way of having lots of music on the go. Soon the 64GB cards will be reasonably priced and at that point will completely solve my upgraditis.

The only way I could explain the IE80 with the Studio V to you is imagine your IE80s with even more clarity/transparency, more detail, very wide sound stage. Where the coloration is coming from the IE80 and not the DAP so letting you hear what the IE80 is really capable of. Left and right channel balance crazy good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back