Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #1,546 of 7,699
Just so we're all on the same page here, Lee is in fact talking about the Z1070 and not Sony DAPs in general. How do I know this? If you go back far enough into the thread you will see he is responding to someone (lostid) who mentioned the Z1070 specifically in comparison to Apple. When Lee talks about the DAP in relation to the Cowon, he says "THAT Sony," meaning the Z1070.

Lee has not heard the Z1070 from my understanding and was basing his assumption off of impressions of others. Whether or not those impressions are valid---how much milage they carry---is certainly something one should ask one's self. However in my humble opinion one should just as readily ask that of someone who hasn't even heard the Z series and is basing comparisons on the A and X series. From where I'm sitting, this debate is pretty pointless on BOTH SIDES since neither person is speaking from first-hand experience of the Z1070.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #1,547 of 7,699

Quote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was referring to Sonys new flagship DAP which I've been hearing some good reviews on. Let's be honest now combat :) the Cowon won't have anything on the $800+ DX100. The DX outclasses it in all three frequencies, sound staging, imaging, clarity etc. it's not really a fair comparison regardless lol. When I last compared the J3 it was to my former Sflo2 and the Sflo2 was far superior to the Cowon. Although I hated how digital the Sflo2 sounded it was still the clear winner. I kinda find it hard to believe a digital sounding player can be considered neutral as its actually coloring the sound with digital artifacting...

Oh, I'm sure the DX100 is a clear winner over the Cowon. I'm not delusional enough to think they are even competing in the same league. Then again, no one was comparing them.. :)

I was saying that her owning the DX100 shouldn't matter at all.

Quote:
Just so we're all on the same page here, Lee is in fact talking about the Z1070 and not Sony DAPs in general. How do I know this? If you go back far enough into the thread you will see he is responding to someone (lostid) who mentioned the Z1070 specifically in comparison to Apple. When Lee talks about the DAP in relation to the Cowon, he says "THAT Sony," meaning the Z1070.

Lee has not heard the Z1070 from my understanding and was basing his assumption off of impressions of others. Whether or not those impressions are valid---how much milage they carry---is certainly something one should ask one's self. However in my humble opinion one should just as readily ask that of someone who hasn't even heard the Z series and is basing comparisons on the A and X series. From where I'm sitting, this debate is pretty pointless on BOTH SIDES since neither person is speaking from first-hand experience of the Z1070.

From my understanding with my (admittedly) limited english, 'I am sure that Sony will $hit all over' could mean both "I am sure that SONYs DAPs in general  ..." and "I am sure that, that particular sony DAP ...". Am I wrong in this?

Taken the context into consideration I should've guessed he was talking about that particular one, but the way I interpreted it was that he was talking about Sony DAPs in general. Thus, I have not discussed nor compared nor made any assumptions about that particular Z1070 in comparison to Cowons or iPhone 4. I responded to, what I interpreted as a claim about Sony DAPs in general being better than Cowon DAPs in general, by bringing up my particular models to disprove that claim. I have only spoken about gear that I have had first hand experience with.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #1,548 of 7,699

Quote:
From my understanding with my (admittedly) limited english, 'I am sure that Sony will $hit all over' could mean both "I am sure that SONYs DAPs in general  ..." and "I am sure that, that particular sony DAP ...". Am I wrong in this?

Your understanding of the English is correct, the statement is somewhat ambiguous, which is why I suggested the context clue of the conversation up until that point being about the Z1070 specifically. If you look earlier in the same post made by Lee, you'll also see his having typed: 

"Maybe you should go with the Sony if you don't mind living with its shortcoming"

Again, the Sony being the Z1070 specifically.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #1,549 of 7,699

Quote:
Taken the context into consideration I should've guessed he was talking about that particular one, but the way I interpreted it was that he was talking about Sony DAPs in general. Thus, I have not discussed nor compared nor made any assumptions about that particular Z1070 in comparison to Cowons or iPhone 4. I responded to, what I interpreted as a claim about Sony DAPs in general being better than Cowon DAPs in general, by bringing up my particular models to disprove that claim. I have only spoken about gear that I have had first hand experience with.

I get where you're coming from now. It's definitely a good trait to only talk about gear you've heard, and it would be nice if more head-fiers would follow that guideline, definitely. : )

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #1,550 of 7,699

Quote:

Your understanding of the English is correct, the statement is somewhat ambiguous, which is why I suggested the context clue of the conversation up until that point being about the Z1070 specifically. If you look earlier in the same post made by Lee, you'll also see his having typed: 

"Maybe you should go with the Sony if you don't mind living with its shortcoming"

Again, the Sony being the Z1070 specifically.

Yes, in retrospect, it makes much more sense that he was in fact referring to the specific Sony model. At the time, I interpreted it differently and his statement made much less sense. :) 

Quote:
I get where you're coming from now. It's definitely a good trait to only talk about gear you've heard, and it would be nice if more head-fiers would follow that guideline, definitely. : )

Thank you. Phew, it started to feel like I wasn't making much sense here at all, and with english being my 4th language I was kind of afraid that I wouldn't get my point across; if my posts weren't making any sense by now I don't know if I could've made my point much clearer in any other way.

Oh well, time to head back to programming..

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #1,553 of 7,699
I got my Silver Galaxy  
cool.gif
 , first impression directly from the package was WOW, this was after listening to that same track with the stock cable.
Wider soundstage, much more clarity, bass response was faster and well controlled and punchy, treble energy also increased with prominent tsssssk task, cymbals texture is more defined, it seems to be an all rounder improvement cable. Haven't stopped listening to this configuration yet, hoping to see what else it adds.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #1,555 of 7,699
Feb 16, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #1,556 of 7,699

Quote:
I got my Silver Galaxy  
cool.gif
 , first impression directly from the package was WOW, this was after listening to that same track with the stock cable.
Wider soundstage, much more clarity, bass response was faster and well controlled and punchy, treble energy also increased with prominent tsssssk task, cymbals texture is more defined, it seems to be an all rounder improvement cable. Haven't stopped listening to this configuration yet, hoping to see what else it adds.

those look beautiful! omg..

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #1,557 of 7,699

Quote:
I got my Silver Galaxy  
cool.gif

That sounds enough to justify the upgrade of the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back