Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Mar 25, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #6,737 of 7,992
Great work on the IE800's! They sound amazing!

Thanks, I'll have to tell Axel Grell and the product managers!

Does the new special edition IE 800 have any improvements in regards to performance/sound?

Well, I'll have to ask the product managers, haha! I'll be "training" myself on getting personal familiarity on as many of our headphones as possible, but meanwhile I'll ask too.
:D

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 25, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #6,738 of 7,992
Well, I'll have to ask the product managers, haha! I'll be "training" myself on getting personal familiarity on as many of our headphones as possible, but meanwhile I'll ask too.
biggrin.gif

Well, did I learn something?

Yes, I did: Sennheiser is not Sennheiser... 
beyersmile.png

beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #6,739 of 7,992
biggrin.gif

Hi. I haven't seen a ton of activity on Senn official account on this thread, but we're glad to have you here! 

I'm really enthused about your new ie800 actually. They look really dope and I'm really curious how they sound! 

Please let us know more details about them when you can! 

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #6,740 of 7,992
  Hey guys, this is my 3rd day with the IE 800's so here's my review:

Build Quality:The Sennheiser IE800's are very impressive earphones but with some build quality issues. The most obvious build quality issue that I have found is the fact that the cable doesn't detach from the earphone itself, it merely detaches from the Y split. I have had a lot of earphones in my time and to be fair, all of them had broken from the end part of the cable. But I would still like to see these detachable from the IEM itself as you just never know. What comforts me a little bit is the 2 year warranty and from what I've read Sennheiser are very good when it comes to this. So this issue wasn't enough to put me off buying them. The cable itself seems to be of very high quality and it is kevlar reinforced. Overall I like the build quality, but it isn't the best due to the reason I stated above.

I would agree with most of what you say here except the build quality section.

You should call it Build Design or Build Philosophy or something else.  Because Sennheiser did it that way because they wanted to, and I believe they executed the design perfectly in reference with what they set out to do.  The early ones, after extended use, got hard and that was indeed a design flaw and quality issue.  But you can't buy a 2-door car and complain because it doesn't have 4 doors, re: the non-detachable cable.

The Midrange, sounds like Sennheiser in my experience.  It is mid theater as opposed to a Grado's hanging off the stage presentation where you are so close you could get electrocuted!

The Bass to me is spot on(for me at least).  It only goes crazy on Crazy music that was recorded to be Bass crazy.  In which case, it gives you what you crave...

Glad you like yours, I like mine as well.

@Audioguy94, indeed I did read all of your review, a nice balance of subjective feelings and objective description! Have you added your review to the product page also? That way, your writing won't get buried in the thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-ie800

Just curious, what was the first song you listened to with the IE800?
biggrin.gif

Keep up the great discussion folks!

First Spin?

Eagles -  Hell Freezes Over - Hotel California,  had to hear that one first

Next  ...  Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense whole DVD

I did run through a ton of notoriously heavy handed Bass tracks to see if there was anything objectionable.  There wasn't.  I said WOW!,  a lot!

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #6,741 of 7,992

Shure made me send back the carry case when I told them the zipper was crooked. I even attached the photo of how bad the zipper was made. Waste of 3 dollars to send back the case so that they would replace it. They did send me an email saying it has been replaced and shipped out however. Their customer service was okay but to mail back my case to get a new one seemed kind of stupid. Just mail me a new one -.-   

Because of counterfeiting, I would have insisted you send it back as well.

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #6,743 of 7,992

counterfeiting on the case? 

Not the case.

But a "loose" genuine case and a clone IE800 would be good to go for a scam.

The counterfeiters clone the earphones better than the cases!  The cases have "Tells"

Also most manufacturers don't like defective products in circulation because it basically damages their reputation, thus wanting them sent back to remove them from circulation..

Some would use it for Quality control to submit to their quality assurance team and see if the problem exists in high enough numbers that it needs to be tracked down. and the issue resolved that caused the complaint.

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #6,744 of 7,992

Not the case.

But a "loose" genuine case and a clone IE800 would be good to go for a scam.

The counterfeiters clone the earphones better than the cases!  The cases have "Tells"

Also most manufacturers don't like defective products in circulation because it basically damages their reputation, thus wanting them sent back to remove them from circulation..

Some would use it for Quality control to submit to their quality assurance team and see if the problem exists in high enough numbers that it needs to be tracked down. and the issue resolved that caused the complaint.

Haha. I definitely hear where your coming from. The case was kind was from an unrelated post about shure. The defective case was from the SE846 but definitely I see where you are going with it about them getting rid of defective products in circulation.

Don't think I have seen any fake SE846 out there in the clear color yet. IE800 on the other hand thats a different story.

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #6,745 of 7,992
:D

ok, thank you for any additional info on the new IE 800.

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #6,748 of 7,992
biggrin.gif

so are you working with Sennheiser ?, as we are starting to get confused, as we would like to see more interaction from sennheiser side which is kinda lacking 

so if you work for sennheiser then welcome and we promise that we will take it easy on you

so first question why on earth did sennheiser make a great iem, but with 2 big flaws, first the cable and then the tips which get discussed by so many people. And you add insult to injury by making it impossible to even use other tips or change the cable?
the cable honestly just I could not imagine how on earth that has passed discussion rooms during design peroid, in the end send my greeting to axel and just inform him that those issues just will be a mystery question that only can be de-claissifed god knows when

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #6,750 of 7,992
  so are you working with Sennheiser ?, as we are starting to get confused, as we would like to see more interaction from sennheiser side which is kinda lacking 

so if you work for sennheiser then welcome and we promise that we will take it easy on you

so first question why on earth did sennheiser make a great iem, but with 2 big flaws, first the cable and then the tips which get discussed by so many people. And you add insult to injury by making it impossible to even use other tips or change the cable?
the cable honestly just I could not imagine how on earth that has passed discussion rooms during design peroid, in the end send my greeting to axel and just inform him that those issues just will be a mystery question that only can be de-claissifed god knows when

I don't see anything wrong with the cable except it's too short.

I have ambivalent feelings about replaceable cables.  It's a strong point and a weak point.  I don't roll cables, so the non-replaceable nature is not an issue there.  If I destroyed my cables a lot I might feel different.  I pretty much treat them like they are worth $850 all the time.

The earpieces are designed with sound in mind.  They are very open and have the protective grill.

I didn't realize how open and un-shrouding they were till I started to try and get better retention earpieces and started paying attention to this thread.  That's when you start noticing how open the orifice is.

In execution they have retention issues IMO.  Hence all the posts here about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back