Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jan 20, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #7,983 of 7,992
While the practicality of having mmcx connection is undeniable, the aesthetics are just... not there.
I can't disagree with this statement, as I too have the Vesper mmcx modified IE800. It has a bit of a cobbled together look, which led me to purchase the IE900 when it came out to have a more finished OEM look with, hopefully, slightly improved sound quality. The thing is, I keep going back to my IE800, unpretty as they may be, because they sound so darn good and they are super comfortable. As they say, looks ain't everything!

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #7,984 of 7,992
While the practicality of having mmcx connection is undeniable, the aesthetics are just... not there.
I disagree. It's not as small as with the standard non removable cable, but depending on the cable and the MMCX connectors i think it can look good.
I like the overall look with my ISN C4 and its carbon trims.

20240116_105257_.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #7,985 of 7,992
With the well known Achilles heel that is the wired connection to all IE800s - The upgraded MMCX option from Vesper Audio is far more about sound and connection quality than aesthetics - the fact that Sennheiser themselves now only offer MMCX fittings to their IE100, IE200, IE300, IE400, IE600 and IE900 in ears hold truth to that too....

Jan 20, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #7,987 of 7,992
Yeah, a few points here from this thread: 1. I don't think mmcx connectors alter the wonderful appearance of the ie800. The ceramic IEM is remarkably cool looking and I don't think the connectors detract from that. I also like using them top down over ear.. 2. Custom tips like .ADV or earfitz definitely look a bit weird but the tradeoff is you get an incredible seal that for me, only improves the dynamics. 3. Don't assume the ie800s or the ie900 is a preferable option to the ie800. The ie800 was hand built at Sennheiser. I've done extensive listening to all 3 and prefer my ie800 with Vesper mod and Legato cable, although that may be a result of my unique hearing. We're all different. 4. I've been reading online threads for years and I just have never seen any horror stories about sending to Pavel at Vesper in Belarus. Their communication with customers is good and their shipping is reliable. I wish I could say this about all vendors I've used for various things in the US.

Jan 31, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #7,990 of 7,992
Do you guys have any kilobucks along with ie800? Would love to hear your impressions, specifically on how old giant stands with new ones.

I have had andromeda 2020 for a while and remember them being more holographic and expansive to ie800. But unfortunately, I don't have it with me for one to one comparison.

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #7,991 of 7,992
Do you guys have any kilobucks along with ie800? Would love to hear your impressions, specifically on how old giant stands with new ones.

I have had andromeda 2020 for a while and remember them being more holographic and expansive to ie800. But unfortunately, I don't have it with me for one to one comparison.
I have LCD-5's, HD800s, and several different AKG. I don't buy kilobuck IEM's because I get substantial enjoyment from my ie800's with .adv tips and the mmcx mod. When I go to shows and A-B compare mine with IEM's costing several thousands, they just don't sound substantially better to me.....different but not better. It may be because I've had these IEMs for so long that my brain is very used to them. When I hear something that knocks my socks off, I will move on.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #7,992 of 7,992
I have LCD-5's, HD800s, and several different AKG. I don't buy kilobuck IEM's because I get substantial enjoyment from my ie800's with .adv tips and the mmcx mod. When I go to shows and A-B compare mine with IEM's costing several thousands, they just don't sound substantially better to me.....different but not better. It may be because I've had these IEMs for so long that my brain is very used to them. When I hear something that knocks my socks off, I will move on.
Felt the same way about my ie800 and now ie600

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back