Sennheiser IE8 vs Klipsch Image x10 vs JAYS q-Jays
Sep 20, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #17 of 46
When i was trying sennheiser ie8 i was amused how bad they sounded, my expectations was realy higher than that flat unemotional sound, but in 10-20 ours of burning-in they started to open. The only thing i can say is they are realy fantastic. And i notice they become better and better with burning in. I also tried UE triple fi 10 and now they seem lame to me, compared with my ie8.

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #18 of 46
I own both the SE530 and the IE8...and its true that at this point its a matter of chicken or beef. 

The Sennheisers have the widest sound stage I've ever heard. Its absolutely breathtaking. It's so airy and wide sounding that its hard to believe such a sound could come from 2 tiny earphones...they sound similar to open backed full sized headphones. Their bass is great, highs aren't bad...and neither are the lows, but when it comes to the mids, the Shures dominate. I'm afraid that the Shures are definitely the ones to get if you're looking for detail and clarity. The sound is narrower however, and there isn't as much fun to be had. But they both sound fantastic.

The detachable cable is a big advantage though, and at that price, I'd rather get the one that wouldn't break and leave you with a pair of dead earphones. I have to baby my Shures every time I use them, all wrapped up in microtec fibers even when stored in its carrying case. Plus, I have to wash them weekly with soap solution because they're the dreaded "hardening cable" models. 

My suggestion is IE8. I also think they'd sound better than the Klipschs although I've never tried them. Klipschs have some serious durability issues though.

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #19 of 46
Based on my experience, the IE8s sound plain for the first 50 hours. Sound stage does open up a bit though. between 50-100 hours, they sound dreadful. There is sibilance and the bass feels distorted. Also, the mids sound recessed and weak in comparison to other earphones at its price point.

But burn them past the 150-200 hour mark and everything changes. And don't forget, these things are said to burn in till 400 hours. They already sound very good, and I can't believe that they still have more to dish out. Looking forward to it. Its like burning in the V12 of a Ferrari just so that you can finally give it the beans.

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #20 of 46
Man I'm so totally confused right now! I had pretty much decided on the Klipsch x10s or the DBA-02s; now I gotta bring IE8 back in the balance! Well, this sucks...

The IE8 has rotten tips and the carrying case sucks as well and the nozzle on the test piece simply came off!! I twisted the tip to take it off and voila, off comes the nozzle too; I find it hard to believe that this is the "good build quality" that everyone has been referring to

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #21 of 46
I own both DBA-02 and X10, and lately have been using the IE8 for about 3 weeks now.
As detailed sound and instrument separation are my top priorities, there is no contest... for me DBA-02 wins by far.
X10 is the most comfortable of the three and is the one I use when travelling by airplane; isolation and comfort is terrfiic. Sound wise I thought X10 were great, until I heard DBA-02. Now they sound dark and veiled in comparison!!
Moreover, X10 must be treated with upmost care, the cable is extremely fragile!!, Actually I´m on my second pair after cable failure!
Regarding the IE8 I was really disappointed the first week I heard them, terrible sound, diffused mids and edgy highs; and bass out of proportions and heavily intruding the mids. I equalized the bass with a -6 db @ 150 Hz, and sound improved a lot, with controlled bass and clearer mids. But still highs suffer of edginess. On the 3rd week with them, sound is opening up!! and mids and highs are getting smooth.
Ah, forgot to mention, IE8´s soundstage is huge!! awesome!!
At the end, the DBA-02 is the one that makes me forget I'm using an IEM. I just get emotionally connected to the music!
For me DBA-02 produces the most coherent sound and is so musical.
My ideal IEM would be the DBA-02 with IE8 soundstage!!
hope this helps!!
regards, Jose

Sep 21, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #22 of 46
Yeah, the IE8 tips suck, but that should never be the reason why you can't buy a certain IEM that would otherwise be great. I remedied the problem by purchasing Comply Foam Tx-400s. I haven't gotten them yet, but I will soon and I'm really excited. I'll tell you how they perform after I get them.

I'm not surprised by josesol07's opinion of the Sennheiser. In fact, I can't blame anybody who think the IE8s aren't worth the dough. That's because while most manufacturers have moved on in favor of the "burnless" armature drivers, Sennheiser stuck to their guns on a coil driver. But it's the best coil driver IEM I've ever heard. There are some tracks in CDs that really shine on these, especially pop studio albums. 

I'm not familiar with the DBA-02, In fact I've never heard of them...So can't say I'll recommend the IE8s over them. What I can say is that the IE8s take a lot of time and patience to get the most of them. Like I said, its like running in a new Ferrari V12. You might be tempted to put the pedal down, but that V12 isn't going to respond as well and you'd like and you'll probably damage the engine. Same case here. (Actually I'm not sure if Ferraris need to be run in, but you know that new cars typically do)

So if you do decide on the IE8s, watch out for fakes if you're buying online, and be patient during the burn in. Just do the math. 24 hours a day, so 10 days equal 240 hour if burned in without breaks. So you need to burn these in close to 19 days. Thats nearly 3 weeks straight. I stopped at 150+ cause they sound good enough already. I won't say I prefer them over my Shure SE530s just yet, but I know that these have great potential since 150 hours hardly compares to 400.

As for the X10 images, I really can't recommend. From what I've heard, the IE8s share a similar sound signature, but the Klipsches lose out to the Sennheisers in the end. Also, they really have serious cable issues with all their earphones like the early SE series of Shure. So if you do buy them, prepared to either pamper them with regular soaping, or save yourself the trouble and buy yourself the ultra rugged IE8 with their kevlar reinforced detachable cables. 

I honestly think it should be between the DBA-02 and the IE8s. The Images need not be considered. 

Sep 21, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #23 of 46
Oh and as for the build quality, I dropped them on the day I got them. Honestly, they're so light and rugged that they didn't even scratch. I'm surprised to hear that renegade999 managed to break his. I don't know, but mine seem to be like light tanks. Honestly, they feel like military gear.

The guy who sold me my IE8s is a unlicensed distributor. They still came with the full 2 year warranty, and everything. According to him, he got his submerged during a flood. But he told me all he did was dry them off and they don't sound any different from before. I'd say that's solid quality. Honestly, it's typical German-build.

Sep 21, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #24 of 46

Quote:
Oh and as for the build quality, I dropped them on the day I got them. Honestly, they're so light and rugged that they didn't even scratch. I'm surprised to hear that renegade999 managed to break his. I don't know, but mine seem to be like light tanks.  Honestly, it's typical German-build.

Hi guys! Man this sure is a lively forum and to think I thought it was a decaying pond when I didn't get a response to my original post for like two days
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree the Sennheisers seem to be solidly built, but hey if you are well covered by warranty, slip on one of the double flange tips and try taking it off...It's next to impossible without the twisting action and a couple of times of those and off came the nozzle! I wrote a scathing letter to the seller, tossed the phones back in the box and sent 'em packing. Though, I may have been hasty in my decision; it's possible I received a defective set (P.S: bought them from an authorized dealer so couldn't really be fakes, plus I ran the comparison check using the images found online for legit Senn vs fake Senn) and secondly, since I wasn't impressed with their quality after 50 hours or so, felt they couldn't get any better with time. I realize now - my bad!
Kwangsun, how DO you take the tips off? I sound silly asking this, but the usual way is to use the twisting technique and slip it off. Btw the nozzle and the rest of the earphone body on the IE8 aren't integral i.e. not a single unit like those you see on the Shures and UEs. It's almost as if the nozzle is a plastic tube stuck into the body.
Gee sorry if this sounds downright disrespectful to a well acclaimed pair of IEMs; I'm German myself and though I swear by our vehicles, the audiophile industry needs to rack on some more mileage IMHO.

Quote:
Yeah, the IE8 tips suck, but that should never be the reason why you can't buy a certain IEM that would otherwise be great. I remedied the problem by purchasing Comply Foam Tx-400s. I haven't gotten them yet, but I will soon and I'm really excited. I'll tell you how they perform after I get them.

As for the X10 images, I really can't recommend. From what I've heard, the IE8s share a similar sound signature, but the Klipsches lose out to the Sennheisers in the end. Also, they really have serious cable issues with all their earphones like the early SE series of Shure. So if you do buy them, prepared to either pamper them with regular soaping, or save yourself the trouble and buy yourself the ultra rugged IE8 with their kevlar reinforced detachable cables. 

I honestly think it should be between the DBA-02 and the IE8s. The Images need not be considered. 

I'd love to know what you feel about the Complys and pairing them with the IE8s. Another user (at the start of the thread) was very critical of the foams; I liked them, but they won't last...heck they are prob. worth it!

I think I will go with your suggestion and eliminate the Images from consideration simply cuz I need to narrow down my choices. Fragility is not something I want to put up with after shelling out 200 euros on a pair of phones.

Quote:
I own both DBA-02 and X10, and lately have been using the IE8 for about 3 weeks now.
As detailed sound and instrument separation are my top priorities, there is no contest... for me DBA-02 wins by far.
X10 is the most comfortable of the three and is the one I use when travelling by airplane; isolation and comfort is terrfiic. Sound wise I thought X10 were great, until I heard DBA-02. Now they sound dark and veiled in comparison!!
Moreover, X10 must be treated with upmost care, the cable is extremely fragile!!, Actually I´m on my second pair after cable failure!
Regarding the IE8 I was really disappointed the first week I heard them, terrible sound, diffused mids and edgy highs; and bass out of proportions and heavily intruding the mids. I equalized the bass with a -6 db @ 150 Hz, and sound improved a lot, with controlled bass and clearer mids. But still highs suffer of edginess. On the 3rd week with them, sound is opening up!! and mids and highs are getting smooth.
Ah, forgot to mention, IE8´s soundstage is huge!! awesome!!
At the end, the DBA-02 is the one that makes me forget I'm using an IEM. I just get emotionally connected to the music!
For me DBA-02 produces the most coherent sound and is so musical.
My ideal IEM would be the DBA-02 with IE8 soundstage!!
hope this helps!!
regards, Jose

Thanks for the post Jose; I've pretty much narrowed it down to the DBA-02 and IE8. Two questions: How do you find the bass on the DBA and how comfortable are the DBAs (standalone, not comparing them head to head with the Images)?
I'm no bass-head but bass lacking phones can't figure on my list as I had the SE210s for a long time and though I really liked them, the absence of bass became unnerving after a while...
Thanks once again for the informative post.

Sep 21, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #25 of 46
Bass on DBA-02 is very tight and textured. This IEm is so transparent that gives you back whatever bass in the recording. And is so linear that I don´t miss more bass quantity
Now comparing it to IE8's bass, the former feels like knocking a door and the latter feels like hitting that door with a hammer!! very powerful, so much impact, I have to recognize is fun!!
It´s like having a subwoofer!! always present! But has to be tamed with equalization!
DBA-02 feels really comfortable, but not as good as X10! I'm still with small stock tips and also the small double-flange X10 tips!! I get perfect fit on the right ear but not so perfect on the left ear due to a tiny pressure point of the IEM on my outer ear. Later I will try Ety's 3-flange modded to 2-flange and see how it goes!! Isolation with DBA-02 is pretty good, though.
Honestly, I´m really curious about how smooth IE8 might become after 300 hours or so. I'm amazed on how much improvement you get with burn-in on this IEM!
But I insist IE8 goes to another level with equalization!!
In the end, at this level of performance, is a matter of preference!! DBA-02 does it for me!! with this, I keep repeating to myself " I didn´t hear this before!!". there is so much presentation of music details with this IEM!!
Out of curiosity I'll do a comparo once IE8 hits 400 hours or so.
regards,
Jose

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #26 of 46
As said already, the IE8 comes with terrible tips. I've tried on several tips from different brands: Sony, Denon, Klipsch, and Monster turbine pro. At the end I found the best fit and seal with the ones from Monster turbine pro. The large, regular tip did it for me. The small triple flange MTPC are great at conducting the sound, but I cannot get used to them because they make my ear canals itch after a short while. The comply tips don't fit as right in my ears.  Anyway, good luck with your decision.

Sep 22, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #27 of 46
I guess it all boils down to the fact that humans have different ear geometries.  For me, I find the double flange very good and comfortable.  By the way, I wear the IE8s with the cables downside. Cheers.

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #28 of 46

Quote:
Out of curiosity I'll do a comparo once IE8 hits 400 hours or so.
regards,
Jose

I'm real interested in seeing how the IE8s (SQ) metamorphise after 400 hours! I actually have a few weeks to go before I need to make this decision..I'm holding out for the HTC Desire HD which is to be released in these parts next month.

The booming bass of the IE8 isn't something I'm terribly fond of, cuz it muffles the other details of the track. Well if 400 hours of burn-in is what it needs to strike the right balance, then I'm sold!
Also, I've been reading so many issues of durability with the X10s, I've chosen to strike it off my list...

Essentially, I'm pretty much going to make a choice between the DBAs and IE8s based on what you have to share...

Cheerz
-Renegade

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #29 of 46
Well Renegade,

All I do to remove the tips is by simply pulling it off. Yup, that's it. Just pinch on one side of the tip, and pull off. It's certainly different from my Shure SE530...Which needs a firm twisting motion for it to come off. The thing is, Sennheiser insist on using a flexible and thinly made silicon tips for their earphones, which result in eartips that not only get easier to pull off in time, but suck at isolating noise. I never quite realized that the IE8s were built like that...the thing is, when I first bought my IE8s, I didn't bother with experimenting much as I'm not new to IEMs and know that I use Small tips. But that doesn't mean I didn't experiment a bit with all the weird looking tips that came with my IE8. The thing is, I never felt a weakness in the phone's construction. 

As for the SQ: Well, please understand that my IE8s are fairly new. In fact, they're a few weeks old now. So they haven't been through much burn in time, roughly 150+ hours. I'm no longer keeping track of it, but rather forcing myself to listen to them 28 hours a week to keep burning them in. 

I've already explained to you the kinds of changes they go through as you burn them in. The thing is, you'd think that the heavy bass would affect the detail or highs of these phones, but they don't really affect the overall feel of the sound. Yes, you get heaps of lows and bass, but you get lots of mids and highs as well. At this price point, you have to please a more demanding crowd, and there is no denying sennheiser's efforts here. The mids lack the detail and vibrant quality of the Shures, but they're great all the same. The highs? they shimmer too, although the most prominent part of the sound signature here is the lows. I'm afraid the IE8s are famous for their bass kick. Even at the lowest bass setting, they're still heavy. But in a good way. I love them. Turn the bass up, and you get small explosions in your head instead of bass. Mids and highs don't take a huge blow when you do this, but the bass will become impossible to ignore. 

I personally keep it at the lowest setting. They're also the most fun to listen to. Sound stage is WIDE. try listening to a concert or opera music through them plugged into a good soundcard. It's an awesome experience.

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #30 of 46
I've done a bit of thinking, at it has just occurred to me that the Sennheisers are probably not mean't to be twisted to removed the tips. I suggest that you refrain from doing that next time. Also, Why not consider buying a Shure SE530? I mean, their price have dropped a lot since the release of the SE535. Their sound signature is neither warm nor clinical, neither bassy or weak. They favor mids, which I love, and their highs and lows are good too. I think that they may be more to your liking. Just watch out for models produced before June 2008. They're sure to break. pun intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back