Sennheiser IE8 vs Klipsch Image x10 vs JAYS q-Jays
Sep 17, 2010 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

renegade999

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I guess I've reached a crossroads. I previously owned the Shure SE210 and was very happy with the fit, though I felt it was lacking in bass. I was also pretty impressed with the bundle that came along something that has not been as spectacular with other brands.

I decided to upgrade and in the process have tried out the Ultimate Ears 700, Ultimate Ears Superfi 5 Pro and the Sennheiser IE7 and IE8. The UE700 are way too tiny, don't produce sufficient bass though the soundstage is really good. The UE SF5 Pro has excellent bass and soundstage in my opinion, but the monitors are too unwieldy to handle on a day-to-day basis. Moving on to the Sennheisers, I felt the IE7 sounded pretty ordinary while the IE8s (with 50-60 hours of burn-in) had terrific bass (almost overpowering and muffling out the rest of the audio), but something was lacking. They didn't feel like they could measure up to the clarity and precision expected of phones at this level. (Also taking the sleeves off was a real pain with the IE8s and the nozzle on the right piece just came off!!) I didn't find the sleeve bundle very comfortable and my guess is I'd have to switch to the Comply foams if I settle on the IE8. Also, is it just me or is the audio jack on the IE8s nickel coated??

I went back to researching the forums and two other options I hadn't previously looked at were the q-Jays and Klipsch x10. From what I've read, despite the fact that the q-Jays have dual drivers, their bass output is lacking while the Klipsch don't shine as well in the treble department.

As far as pricing goes, the q-Jays cost roughly 120 euros, the x10s 200 euros and the IE8s around 190 euros.

The genres of music I mostly listen to are Rock, Alternative Rock, Techno, Dance, Pop (think Metallica, Drowning Pool, Limpbizkit, Angels & Airwaves, Trapt,  Lady Gaga, Imogen Heap, Armin van Buuren)

Based on my sound preferences and my experience with the phones so far which one would pair of earphones would you recommend? I was very happy with the performance of the UE Superfi 5 Pro; If I can get similar or better output from any of the three phones under consideration (q-jays, x10, IE8), that's all I'd need!

I wish I could afford the SE530s/535s but for now I'm holding back...

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read my post!

Cheers
Renegade999

Sep 18, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 46
Well, I don't understand why you consider the IE8 if you already tried them and did not like them that much.
By the way, Comply tips are the absolutely worst thing since WWII!
As you said, the Q-jays might have not enough bass for your tastes. They are very similar to the UE700, from what I've read. The X10 have great bass but are not very clear and lack some treble extension.
Why only these options?
If you liked the Super fi 5 pros, you should like the Triple Fi's (but you did not like the fit...) or the Westone 3 (probably the closest to SF5pro, but better), but I assume they exceed your budget?
Maybe you should have a look at the DBA-02. They should sit somewhere in between a sound sig like the SF5pro and the Q-Jays.

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 46
Hi PFan86, thanks for your comment!

Wonder why you are so dead against the comply foams. They sound and feel pretty good to me, though I'd take Shure's olives any day over these!

Westone 3s exceed my budget, you are right about that. They are also hard to obtain in the EU and cost some 400 Euros...

Fischer DBA-02 seems like a good buy, but is also hard to come by...Needs to be imported from Russia which can get messy.

I am still considering the Senn IE8 as I didn't let them burn in for the suggested 200 hours or so. Infact I gave them a burn-in time of 50 hours, but they still sounded slightly muddy after that. Vocals weren't as well defined as the UE SF5Pros.
Otherwise, I am left with the Klipsch x10s and the Triple fis. The Triple fis are much too unwieldy and I heard that they jut out a good bit from your ears and not the best in terms of comfort. The SF5 Pros were comfortable, but not durable and they tend to slip out my ears unless I spend a good deal of time in ensuring they remain in place.

Basically, I am now at a loss - Do you have any more suggestions to help me out?

Thanks!

-Renegads999

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 46
Well, I personally owned the SF5pro and upgraded to the IE8. It was quite a big upgrade. Clarity is about the same (or even slightly better on the Senn) but they have better treble extension, huge soundstage in comparison, more bass (maybe a tad too much on some tracks), and the mids are so much smoother and lush. Really, after getting used to the different sound sig and coming back to the SF5pro, I simply could not stand them. In my experience, the IE8 were much better. Also, build quality is simply not comparable. My two SF broke after a while. Just pure crap, and the cable is awful. The Senn, on the other hand, have excellent build quality, and the cable is fantastic.
Really, if IE8 is your only solution, then go for it, you won't regret it.  Just a tip (no pun intended): try to use the SF tips on the IE8, those are the best, imo.
I understand you can have the Senn for a good price here in Europe. That's also the reason I bought them over any other top tier at the time.
Today, I found another love in the SM3, but they cost quite a bit more (but to my ears, they are also quite a bit better).

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 46
The Sennheiser IE 8's are a fantastic set of headphones. They might not have the clarity of the Shure SE530's but it's still surprisingly good, considering that they are bass heavy. It's very hard to get that balance between sonic accuracy and bass in In-Ear Monitors, which is why the Sennheiser IE 8's stand out from the rest because they are slap-bang right in the middle! If you think the bass is too heavy, you could always adjust it using the bass screws on each earpiece.

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 46
I don't own the IE8 but I do have the DBA-02 and X10. They are different animals.  I like both for different reasons. X10 is more bass centric, DBA-02 is more balanced sounding.   X10 is warmer and more fun to me for certain types of music. DBA-02 is very natural sounding.

Sep 19, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:
Photofan1986 said:

Really, if IE8 is your only solution, then go for it, you won't regret it.  Just a tip (no pun intended): try to use the SF tips on the IE8, those are the best, imo.

I actually wouldnt mind grabbing a pair of the IE8s. I didn't let them burn in for the stipulated 200 hrs or so after which they should sound noticeably better. What concerns me is that I cant stand any of the included tips and SF silicon tips also dont cut it for me. The only ones that work for me are foams and the comply foams usually give out every 2 weeks or sooner!

Quote:
I would not pay that price for the X10- you can them for $150US or less used- they are definitely worth that. I own and love them, especially at that price. The SM3 are absolutely better but not hugely.

The Klipsch have a reputation for being hugely comfortable. The DBA-02 would be a good buy, but I can't find it anywhere in Germany. SM3 cost 340 EUROS, way over my budget of 200 bucks!
Are you sure the x10s can be had for $150? The lowest price I could find online is $340. SM3s are great, but for that sorta price you have a lot more options opening up such as the SE530 and even the JH 5Pro custom monitors.

Quote:
I don't own the IE8 but I do have the DBA-02 and X10. They are different animals.  I like both for different reasons. X10 is more bass centric, DBA-02 is more balanced sounding.   X10 is warmer and more fun to me for certain types of music. DBA-02 is very natural sounding.

I wish I could get hold of the DBA-02, but they are hard to come by in Germany/Europe. Do you think the X10 would be appropriate for my kind of music - Rock, Techno, Alternative, some country...I don't listen to Jazz, Hip-Hop or Classical.

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 46

Quote:
I wish I could get hold of the DBA-02, but they are hard to come by in Germany/Europe. Do you think the X10 would be appropriate for my kind of music - Rock, Techno, Alternative, some country...I don't listen to Jazz, Hip-Hop or Classical.

X10 would sound great for the music you like.  I like the DBA-02 for Jazz and Classical.  Also, the X10 is very comfortable and easy to put in.  DBA-02 is a bit harder to get the right fit putting them in.

I primarily use Comply foams with almost all the IEMs I own. They fit my ears the best. With that said, the X10 large stock tips fit my ears the best of any silicone type tips.  From my experience, the Comply foams have a tendency to affect the clarity of the highs and since the X10 is more bass centric, the stock tips sound the better than the Comply foams.  I think the design of the X10 (with the thinner sound tube) makes it more comfortable than other IEMs.

Another consideration; the cable on the X10 is a bit thin and others have complained about the build quality.  I personally haven't had any problems with it and have had them for over a year.

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 46

Quote:
4sound said:

X10 would sound great for the music you like.  I like the DBA-02 for Jazz and Classical.  Also, the X10 is very comfortable and easy to put in.  DBA-02 is a bit harder to get the right fit putting them in.

As I understand the X10 has just a single armature driver. Isn't that also a consideration seeing that the DBA-02 has 2 drivers? I mean it costs almost twice as much as the DBA (notwithstanding the fact that they are hard to obtain...); wonder how they justify the price for a single driver pair of phones.

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 46

Quote:
The Sennheiser IE 8's are a fantastic set of headphones. They might not have the clarity of the Shure SE530's but it's still surprisingly good, considering that they are bass heavy. It's very hard to get that balance between sonic accuracy and bass in In-Ear Monitors, which is why the Sennheiser IE 8's stand out from the rest because they are slap-bang right in the middle! If you think the bass is too heavy, you could always adjust it using the bass screws on each earpiece.

If the bass on the IE8s is already too heavy on the default low setting (and in my opinion it is) then adjusting the bass screw isn't going to make things better.

Sep 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 46
I own the IE8. I was contemplating the Klispch x10 recently but settled on a Monster turbine pro copper instead. The IE8 did not amaze me right away particularly with the bass as at the time I got them I was using quite often my Denon AH-C710 which has lots of bass, is loud too (in-your-ear), but with a narrow soundstage. Only after 8 months have I realized how great the IE8 is, and now that I have the Pro copper, I can tell you they sound the best. I love the crisp, warm sound. The vocals are great and the bass is tight. I would not say that the bass is huge though, just tight and precise. When you turn the bass down to the lowest setting the soundstage actually widens. In my collection of IEMs the IE8 is the best audiophile earphone...but not necessarily the most entertaining. I have come to accept that there is not one "best" earphone. You will always think that there is something better out there. 

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 46

Sorry, I was referring to what I feel they are worth. They go for that used (I got some used for $120) and sometimes direct from Klipsch as B Stock ($180). Someone in the UK was selling them for about $150 a few months ago. The cable retainers can split but if you wrap something around the rubber part (or shrink wrap them), they should last forever.
Also, if you walk or run with these, I would look elsewhere as the cables transmit noise. Sitting around, they are fine.
Quote:
Are you sure the x10s can be had for $150?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back