Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #7,831 of 8,119
Accurate is still very much a subjective thing. To be honest many "supposedly neutral" cans and IEMs are bass light and have boosted treble. That IMO isn't really neutral but others will think otherwise. Definitely not life-like IMO nor something I'd equate to realistic or what you'll hear in a live show (or orchestra for that matter).

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #7,832 of 8,119
Quote:
Accurate is still very much a subjective thing. To be honest many "supposedly neutral" cans and IEMs are bass light and have boosted treble. That IMO isn't really neutral but others will think otherwise. Definitely not life-like IMO nor something I'd equate to realistic or what you'll hear in a live show (or orchestra for that matter).

If you or anyone else can call a 14dB bass boost accurate, more power to you. Again, I love the IE8's, but I would never dare call them neutral or accurate - and that's okay.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #7,834 of 8,119
I'm thinking of the Merlins (coming from the IE8s) primarily because the markup in prices aren't ridiculous as compared with JH's and FitEars in my country (Singapore), for example. Basically the cost of the UMs are about the same as if I bought it in the US or wherever whilst with the JHs, I'm paying about 50% more. I'm just not sure if it is worth me spending more on the JHs. 

I've tested out the JH10X3, 5s, EarSonics 3 and 5s (I think), and FitEar 333s. Of the lot, the FitEars appealed to me the most, but their sparkle does leave me worrying about fatigue, plus, they are out of my price range. I can't test the Merlins here in my country. So of that lot, the JH10X3s appealed to me the most (based on my budget). What I'm trying to figure out is how the Merlins compare. They both retail for the same price in America, but I pay approximately 350 - 400 USD for the JHs where I am.

I don't need accuracy. I want something to engage me, something to capture my attention. I have to admit, I have my IE8s bass knob in the middle, but I EQ the bass down, and pull up the treble. I just treble boost on Equalizer and then reduce the bass bar. That said, I'm now on a Note 2. I want to move a step up, but I need to be sure of what I'm getting. The 10X3s were alright, but with the FitEars, I now feel like I'm missing out. And it won't be a while yet before I will splurge on them, if there are others by that time. 

Question then is, how do the Merlins compare? I like my treble to come through, but I also want to feel the kick. If anything, perhaps the review of the IE8s in my signature might help! Advice would be lovely!

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #7,835 of 8,119
Quote:
I'm thinking of the Merlins (coming from the IE8s) primarily because the markup in prices aren't ridiculous as compared with JH's and FitEars in my country (Singapore), for example. Basically the cost of the UMs are about the same as if I bought it in the US or wherever whilst with the JHs, I'm paying about 50% more. I'm just not sure if it is worth me spending more on the JHs. 

I've tested out the JH10X3, 5s, EarSonics 3 and 5s (I think), and FitEar 333s. Of the lot, the FitEars appealed to me the most, but their sparkle does leave me worrying about fatigue, plus, they are out of my price range. I can't test the Merlins here in my country. So of that lot, the JH10X3s appealed to me the most (based on my budget). What I'm trying to figure out is how the Merlins compare. They both retail for the same price in America, but I pay approximately 350 - 400 USD for the JHs where I am.

I don't need accuracy. I want something to engage me, something to capture my attention. I have to admit, I have my IE8s bass knob in the middle, but I EQ the bass down, and pull up the treble. I just treble boost on Equalizer and then reduce the bass bar. That said, I'm now on a Note 2. I want to move a step up, but I need to be sure of what I'm getting. The 10X3s were alright, but with the FitEars, I now feel like I'm missing out. And it won't be a while yet before I will splurge on them, if there are others by that time. 

Question then is, how do the Merlins compare? I like my treble to come through, but I also want to feel the kick. If anything, perhaps the review of the IE8s in my signature might help! Advice would be lovely!

Maybe look into the Heir 8As. I'll be getting them hopefully in the next couple weeks so I can comment once I have them. Otherwise if you are looking for the best universal money can buy I say look into the Tralucent 1Plus2s. They are a neutral IEM though but the best I've heard in any IEM so far. Plus changing out the cables you can tweak the sound to your preferences (they are chameleons).

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #7,837 of 8,119
Quote:
Maybe look into the Heir 8As. I'll be getting them hopefully in the next couple weeks so I can comment once I have them. Otherwise if you are looking for the best universal money can buy I say look into the Tralucent 1Plus2s. They are a neutral IEM though but the best I've heard in any IEM so far. Plus changing out the cables you can tweak the sound to your preferences (they are chameleons).

Looking at it. It is a fair bit more in cost though seeing as their 25% sale ended :frowning2:

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #7,838 of 8,119
Quote:

He might have a teeny-tiny problem with the $1275 price however (not including the optional gold cable)...

Yeah. I probably do :D

I'd say in terms of USD $1250 would be about my limit. And if I am paying that much, customs should be the way to go, seeing as my IE8s at the moment already have custom pads. I'm not willing to loose the isolation factor, which I feel would drop SQ. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #7,839 of 8,119
I'm coming up on three years of owning my IE8s and still loving them. I find myself reaching for them even when I'm at home instead of my full size headphones. I just like the way they sound and the decent isolation they provide. I know they're fairly colored and not very accurate, but I think that's what I actually like about them.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #7,840 of 8,119
Quote:

Yeah. I probably do :D

I'd say in terms of USD $1250 would be about my limit. And if I am paying that much, customs should be the way to go, seeing as my IE8s at the moment already have custom pads. I'm not willing to loose the isolation factor, which I feel would drop SQ. 

Well it really depends on how you look at it in terms of isolation. Just because you have better isolation does not mean the Custom IEM will sound better than the 1plus2. That's wishful thinking but in terms of being in a noisy environment I do agree with you. It's already been stated on the thread that owners of the ES5, JH16, UM miracle prefer their 1Plus2 universal to even those flagships. We'll hear more in comparison to other flagship IEMs as the tour progresses :).

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #7,841 of 8,119
Quote:
Well it really depends on how you look at it in terms of isolation. Just because you have better isolation does not mean the Custom IEM will sound better than the 1plus2. That's wishful thinking but in terms of being in a noisy environment I do agree with you. It's already been stated on the thread that owners of the ES5, JH16, UM miracle prefer their 1Plus2 universal to even those flagships. We'll hear more in comparison to other flagship IEMs as the tour progresses :).

Oh definitely. I should have qualified myself. I use it when I travel and commute, so isolation is very important. 

On a side note, I need to do sound engineering so I can come up with drivers etc at a fraction of the cost! :p

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #7,842 of 8,119
Quote:
Oh definitely. I should have qualified myself. I use it when I travel and commute, so isolation is very important. 

On a side note, I need to do sound engineering so I can come up with drivers etc at a fraction of the cost! :p

If you are after the ultimate in isolation I heard the Spiral SE5 are the way to go (silicone). There is also another company that produces Silicone IEMs but I don't think they are on the level of Spiral Ears flagship though....

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #7,843 of 8,119
Quote:
If you are after the ultimate in isolation I heard the Spiral SE5 are the way to go (silicone). There is also another company that produces Silicone IEMs but I don't think they are on the level of Spiral Ears flagship though....

That is painful in terms of its price though. Haven't checked its sound signature yet either. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #7,844 of 8,119
UM announce on their facebook page that they will have a new IEM with 3 dynamic driver so you may want to look at that. Im really excited to know what iem is that.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #7,845 of 8,119
Quote:
There is also another company that produces Silicone IEMs but I don't think they are on the level of Spiral Ears flagship though....

Sensasonics  = Superb all silicone CIEM's

http://www.sensaphonics.com/?p=328

http://www.head-fi.org/t/639215/review-sensaphonics-3max-silicone-shelled-custom-fit-stage-monitor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back