Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #7,816 of 8,119
Quote:
Nothing wrong with a bit of passion.
smily_headphones1.gif
I wonder how on earth Sennheiser managed to put such a flawed 'phone into production as their flagship IEM.

Out of all the IEMS/headphones I have heard, the IE8 is still the one I enjoyed most. Every phone is flawed in somebodies mind, but the IE8 really stands out to me as a unique and incredible earphone. I think if you wanna say it was so flawed, then every other phone is quite flawed as well.

As always, it's subjective.

Talk to a different person and they will find some flaws in anything. What one person considers a flaw, another person may love. Never gonna please everyone. :p

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #7,817 of 8,119
Quote:

Out of all the IEMS/headphones I have heard, the IE8 is still the one I enjoyed most. Every phone is flawed in somebodies mind, but the IE8 really stands out to me as a unique and incredible earphone. I think if you wanna say it was so flawed, then every other phone is quite flawed as well.

As always, it's subjective.

Talk to a different person and they will find some flaws in anything. What one person considers a flaw, another person may love. Never gonna please everyone. :p

That's why this is a cool hobby/obsession! No offence meant. I've lived with the IE8 for a couple of years. Had a lot of fun with them but very aware of who untrue to the recording they are.

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #7,818 of 8,119
Quote:
That's why this is a cool hobby/obsession! No offence meant. I've lived with the IE8 for a couple of years. Had a lot of fun with them but very aware of who untrue to the recording they are.

I loved them myself. Then moved onto better things. Even the IE80s were an improvement over them. But then I became unsatisfied with the mid bass. I tried the tape mod and silver cable and wow much more true to the track. Still an expansive sound stage. Detail in mids and treble went through the roof. They sounded similar to UM3X after that but more natural and better bass. Very balanced and true to the tracks after that IMO. I'd say the best all-arounder IEM in the $500+ range with those modifications in place. The tape mod was as easy as putting a small piece of tape over the bass ports and changing out the stock cable to pure silver cable.

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #7,819 of 8,119
Alright. Pop quiz. For people who have moved on from the IE8s and unto customs, what customs did you get and why? :)

I'm currently looking to do the same if I can. Just trying to see what I should be looking at. 

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #7,820 of 8,119
Quote:
Alright. Pop quiz. For people who have moved on from the IE8s and unto customs, what customs did you get and why? :)

I'm currently looking to do the same if I can. Just trying to see what I should be looking at. 

im move to custom from ie80(i heard its similar to the ie8 but better).
 my custom is jh16 and heir 8a, i move to them because of their bass. my first custom is jh16 but then i really missed the smooth treble of the ie80 so i purchased the 8a after reading some review which is saying that the sound signature similar to the ie80 (detailed,bass heavy,smooth treble and wide soundstage)

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #7,821 of 8,119
Same Heir 8A. Still haven't got it yet but hoping it will have some elements of the IE80 but better :). I'm also considering getting and IE800 if I can get it at a reasonable price.

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #7,822 of 8,119
Quote:
im move to custom from ie80(i heard its similar to the ie8 but better).
 my custom is jh16 and heir 8a, i move to them because of their bass. my first custom is jh16 but then i really missed the smooth treble of the ie80 so i purchased the 8a after reading some review which is saying that the sound signature similar to the ie80 (detailed,bass heavy,smooth treble and wide soundstage)

Quote:
Same Heir 8A. Still haven't got it yet but hoping it will have some elements of the IE80 but better :). I'm also considering getting and IE800 if I can get it at a reasonable price.

Nice. Thanks. I'll have to have a look at those :)

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #7,824 of 8,119
My IE8s have been with me for several years now and they've never let me down. I'm well aware of the bass-emphasised sound signature, but I've found it to be perfect for compensating against outside noise, and the soundstage is fantastic just walking around the city with my music playing.

There are probably better IEMs available but I don't feel the need to replace my IE8s at all. So I guess I'm saying I really appreciate them 
smile.gif

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #7,827 of 8,119
Exactly is right. Why do Senns designers think that bass is paramount. You say Bass Bass Bass. I say Treble? Midrange? Vocals?

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #7,829 of 8,119
Quote:
Three words: bass, bass, bass.  That's how simple is, and sound stage.

Quote:
They have a target audience with products like these.

Hint: It's not people looking for perfect reproduction.

That's a bit simplistic imo. Apart from their bass emphasis, the IE8/80 are very capable IEMs with smooth mids and highs, and great top extension. If you EQ down their bass hump, or use a bright source like the Tera Player or Icon Mobile, they're amazing phones with classical.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #7,830 of 8,119
Quote:

That's a bit simplistic imo. Apart from their bass emphasis, the IE8/80 are very capable IEMs with smooth mids and highs, and great top extension. If you EQ down their bass hump, or use a bright source like the Tera Player or Icon Mobile, they're amazing phones with classical.

Don't get me wrong. The IE8's are the probably my favorite IEMS I have heard. I'm just explaining why they are not very accurate. Sennheiser knows what they're doing. If they wanted these to be accurate, they would have made them the HD800's or something more along those lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back