Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #6,796 of 8,119
Anyone tempted to try out these IE8 cables? 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hand-Made-SENNHE1SER-IE8-Earphones-Upgrade-Cable-6N-OFC-/270680815030?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f05d575b6#ht_2574wt_907

I bought a Sony X1060 line out cable from the same seller and it's great. Shipping was really quick. Good seller from my one experience with them. I'm highly tempted to try out this upgrade cable for the IE8's and see if can bring their clarity more closely with my current favorites, the SM3's. That's a tall order though! 

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #6,797 of 8,119

Quote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hand-Made-SENNHE1SER-IE8-Earphones-Upgrade-Cable-6N-OFC-/270680815030?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f05d575b6#ht_2574wt_907

I bought a Sony X1060 line out cable from the same seller and it's great. Shipping was really quick. Good seller from my one experience with them. I'm highly tempted to try out this upgrade cable for the IE8's and see if can bring their clarity more closely with my current favorites, the SM3's. That's a tall order though! 

Wow they look pretty amazing!! Just a question.... How do you detach the cable from the speaker housing it seems very stiff and i didn't want to pull them away and damage them
redface.gif
 Thanks!!

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #6,798 of 8,119
I too am interested in that, if I had the money to spare I'd probably give it a shot

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #6,799 of 8,119

Quote:
Quote:

Wow they look pretty amazing!! Just a question.... How do you detach the cable from the speaker housing it seems very stiff and i didn't want to pull them away and damage them
redface.gif
 Thanks!!

I have not detached them too often either, but to do so you simply get a firm grip on the earphone body, and the mini plug, and just try to pull as straight as possible (along the axis of the connection). It does come straight off. Then to attach again simply push it back on until it's fully snugged against the earphone body, again, pushing as straight as possible.

Quote:
I too am interested in that, if I had the money to spare I'd probably give it a shot

I will probably pick up a set pretty soon. Don't think I can resist trying it out... I will report any findings if/when I decide to do so.

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #6,800 of 8,119
Jan 12, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #6,801 of 8,119
Man, I have no patience. I have a set of those from Ebay on the way....  
mad.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #6,802 of 8,119
@cn11: I followed you (ecbuyonline) and am happy with my Sony LOD from them.

I don't think I will re-cable my IE8 but would like to see what you think after spending some time with it.

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #6,803 of 8,119
I've bought the IE8 on ttvjaudio.com. Checked all the signs to verify their authenticity and they seem real. I have been listening to them for 3 days now but the bass quantity even at the max setting is less than the CX500 I also own. I'm getting worried. It's the second time I ordered them. The first time I returned them back because they were fake (bought on ebay). I saw that ttvjaudio is a reputable source. Bought them for 200$ + 32$ int. shipping. 

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #6,804 of 8,119
Got the upgrade cable in today from ecbuyonline... and thought I'd post the initial thoughts. It's really well made, and the finish matches the IE8 very closely. I was a little worried from the pictures that you'd get a grey/black effect, but that's really not the case. It's more like black/black, with the high quality appearance of the braided sheath now instead of the Sennheiser smooth rubber look. 

Sonically, it took a few back and forth swaps of the stock/new cable to really hear much of a difference, but it is there for sure. The new one opens things up subtly, giving a bit more sparkle to the treble, while also widening the soundstage some. It also helps with that dull, chalky sound to the IE8s, giving a touch more naturalness to them. We're really talking small-ish gains here, but there is something to note in terms of improvement. There are no microphonics with this cable.

I am quite happy I tried it out. Anything you can gain in clarity, space, and better control with the IE8s is all win in my book. 

Minor gripes:  It's a tad short I'm finding, and also a little on the stiff side. 

Here are a few iPhone pics:

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #6,805 of 8,119
Cheers cn11! Glad they are good, make sure to post some impressions after like a week of burn in :wink:. My last set of aftermarket cable didn't settle in until almost 3 weeks. BTW, hows the bass on them, any changes?

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #6,806 of 8,119
Last night in my brief back/forth, it seemed the bass was a smidge tighter and less boomy. Tonight I will do a little more comparing and try to confirm that. 

They're sounding awfully good with the cable today at work! (didn't bring the OEM cable with me today unfortunately)

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #6,807 of 8,119
Things have changed a bit. I have burned them in for around 80-90 hours and I am noticing that the soundstage has become wider and the bass is deeper, also mids are are clearer. Do I need to continue with the burn-in for 50 or more hours? Also, has anyone else bought the IE8 from ttvjaudio.com? Impressions?

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #6,808 of 8,119
I've also bought one for 200 eur, burning in my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

The tips really affect the bass. Still they still need burning in since the bass sounds bloated (they only have about 4 hours of use), maybe due to my other iem being anemic (apple in ear).

Anyway properly recorded music sounds very nice, to bad I need a proper dac to listen to them on the computer but first my wallet must recover
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #6,809 of 8,119
I'm on the same situation as you. I use them with my laptop, an old HP Pentium M (1131EA) with conexant audio and, waiting to later on buy a proper dac. Do you have any idea what would be ideal for the IE8?

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #6,810 of 8,119

Quote:
I've also bought one for 200 eur, burning in my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

The tips really affect the bass. Still they still need burning in since the bass sounds bloated (they only have about 4 hours of use), maybe due to my other iem being anemic (apple in ear).

Anyway properly recorded music sounds very nice, to bad I need a proper dac to listen to them on the computer but first my wallet must recover
biggrin.gif

Hi, where did you buy them for 200 euros?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back