Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #6,781 of 8,119
Hi jacey,

If you're unsure if the cable is really faulty, it's best to send in your full unit to the service centre. Don't forget to bring along your warranty certificate and sales receipt.

Quote:
Does anyone know how the warranty works if you need a cable replacement? Do I just need to send just the wire that needs replacement or the full unit (wire + driver)?

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Dec 21, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #6,782 of 8,119
I think i will try customs! Thanks for sharing opinions on that matter!

BTW: Had anyone tried to purchase IE8i cable from customcables?

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #6,783 of 8,119
I just purchased a IE8 and I am wondering how loud I should play my burn in files, say iphone/ipod touch. And how long of a rest period should i give them from each burn in.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #6,786 of 8,119
Hey guys im getting a lot of distortion from mac when playing through itunes but the headphones sound the same when playing through my iphone. I'm wondering if i have damaged them because i plugged them into my computer and the music went through them at max volume for a second or two!! They sound like they always did though on my phone no sound quality loss at all. Has anyone had any experience similar to this?

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #6,787 of 8,119
I would doubt that your IE8's are damaged simply because they work ok with your iphone. Also, I and many others have accidentally plugged IE8's into a very high level signal without suffering any damage - they are capable of handling high volume levels. I can't really comment on the Mac side because I can't stand macs and would instantly assume that's where the fault lies! But basically if your 'phones are playing fine from one source then they're fine.

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #6,788 of 8,119
Thanks for the reply! Im also taking into account that they may be at another stage in the burning in process. The bass seems to be stronger when played through my phone so maybe i need to sort out the eq on the computer because it is too much?

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #6,789 of 8,119
Practically all high end equipment has absolutely no EQ, Tone, or Treble / Bass knobs because the cleanest route is almost always the best. However, in consumer products - including computers, and especially phones - there is a fashion for having "big bass" - at the expense of the rest of the audio spectrum, so it may be worthwhile adjusting your EQ settings. But firstly IE8's of course have their own bass setting, and as you may have read, most of us like to set this near the minimum (anti-clockwise) end of the adjustment screw because IE8's are also designed to be capable of producing excessively powerful bass to meet this modern trend. It can take some time to get used to listening with the bass set very low on the IE8's but once you do, you will hear all the rest of the music more clearly and wonder why you never did it before! It may then be simpler to simply adjust the screw to suit either your phone or your computer - but of course it will wear out eventually, so some computer EQ may be the best option.

Apologies if you already have the IE8's bass setting low.

I don't think the burn-in will produce the sort changes in SQ you are experiencing, although others with more experience may disagree... If IE8's really require hundreds of hours of burn-in time as some people reckon then I may be still burning mine in!

As far as the details of what may be wrong with your Mac, you may need someone else to give help or suggestions because like I said, I don't do macs! Just a thought though, do you have a USB DAC / amp (or a friend with one
wink.gif
) because if the sound is fine coming via USB then you may just have a dodgy connection on your headphone or line out jack (depending on what you're using). Try gently wiggling the headphone plug when it's plugged in to your Mac, and if it makes more of the same type of distortion sound then you've sussed it and need to get a new socket fitted.

Hope that helps.

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #6,790 of 8,119
Just got my IE8, should I burn them with bass setting on max for more air flow to the driver or just leave it at default?

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #6,792 of 8,119
Well around a month ago I finally sent in my IE8s for repair as I'm sure they got full of earwax. Upon receiving my new ones which now don't get inserted unless I clean my ears out well. Anyways what I was going to say was even with no break in at all I was astounded and blown away all over again, it was extremely satisfying. Unfortunately as unbalanced as my other ones were part of it was my ear but it seems to be getting better as time goes on, I'm not sure what happened I never listen at high volume. Btw the new IE8s were much louder and are louder than my friends, to get optimal performance out of these you must keep them absolutely clean otherwise later you will be sorely disappointed with them. Now that I finally have them back and have close to 200hrs on them, maybe a few hours away they are better than ever, best thing I've heard after the HD800s and Grado PS1000, don't get mad that my spectrum sucks because I'm sure there is better out there but I have no high end audio stores near me and I'm 17 and broke most of the time. HD800s were sampled in Toronto along with the Grados but I liked the HDs better. Anyways on with the IE8s. This time I knew what IE8s were suppose to sound like, after hearing my other ones for so long I knew what to look for. Trebble in the beginning sounds extremely synthetic which is why I told my friend to break his in more, his sound like that. The trebble takes quite a while, most notably cymbals to sound really good but once they sound right you'll know, it's perfect IMO. I don't even know if my old IE8 had the same soundstage, maybe I never broke them in long enough, that was done music only right in my ears and after this time breaking in with pink noise I realize how long it actually takes to pass the 200 hour mark. Needless to say I've never been happier with them. Keep them and your ears clean and you won't ever be dissappointed. Apple lossless or as lossless as it gets sounds amazing. Never heard Soundgardens Burden in my hand displayed in such a clean way, the intro on guitar is nothing short of amazing and has never sounded cleaner. Anyways folks I hope you all enjoy your IE8s as much as I enjoy mine. Oh and boo ya, I typed this all on an iPhone 4 XD

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #6,793 of 8,119

Quote:
Practically all high end equipment has absolutely no EQ, Tone, or Treble / Bass knobs because the cleanest route is almost always the best. However, in consumer products - including computers, and especially phones - there is a fashion for having "big bass" - at the expense of the rest of the audio spectrum, so it may be worthwhile adjusting your EQ settings. But firstly IE8's of course have their own bass setting, and as you may have read, most of us like to set this near the minimum (anti-clockwise) end of the adjustment screw because IE8's are also designed to be capable of producing excessively powerful bass to meet this modern trend. It can take some time to get used to listening with the bass set very low on the IE8's but once you do, you will hear all the rest of the music more clearly and wonder why you never did it before! It may then be simpler to simply adjust the screw to suit either your phone or your computer - but of course it will wear out eventually, so some computer EQ may be the best option.

Apologies if you already have the IE8's bass setting low.

I don't think the burn-in will produce the sort changes in SQ you are experiencing, although others with more experience may disagree... If IE8's really require hundreds of hours of burn-in time as some people reckon then I may be still burning mine in!

As far as the details of what may be wrong with your Mac, you may need someone else to give help or suggestions because like I said, I don't do macs! Just a thought though, do you have a USB DAC / amp (or a friend with one
wink.gif
) because if the sound is fine coming via USB then you may just have a dodgy connection on your headphone or line out jack (depending on what you're using). Try gently wiggling the headphone plug when it's plugged in to your Mac, and if it makes more of the same type of distortion sound then you've sussed it and need to get a new socket fitted.

Hope that helps.

The problem is the changes have happened after the headphones were subject to music at max volume from the computer.

Is it possible they have been damaged somehow because of the high volumes the drivers were subjected too? Maybe i'm being paranoid but you understand my concerns
after spending this type of money on new headphones. The bass seems to have degraded somewhat and is not as defined and sounds muddy. Im contemplating sending them into sennheiser to see if they have been damaged at all 
confused.gif

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #6,794 of 8,119
If you're unhappy with the sound and feel it has been negatively affected then it's probably worth sending them in to be checked - but don't tell them you've subjected them to massive volume and think you've blown the drivers! If that has happened then the guys at Sennheiser will know it just from a quick check. Just don't admit liability from the outset because there may be other issues making the sound "muddy".

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #6,795 of 8,119
Well after some delicate eq adjustments the problem has seemed to go away. I had the eq on my mac on bass booster and also i have some exterior sound software from srs labs installed on my mac. They was both set to high bass output which was causing the headphones to rattle on low bass notes and make a kind of static sound. I have changed the pre amp levels and also tweaked the bass so its not outputting too much and they seem to be fine now :)

I was very worried i had damaged them but they sound so much better after changing a few things!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back