Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #6,586 of 8,119
just bought a pair from brian @ razordogdeals which are sennheiser distributors for 268 usd excellent service

hope they what i am looking for wide soundstage with nice bass impact and vocals

the shure 530s i had before were awesome but didnt have the bass impact i wanted for trance

Sep 29, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #6,588 of 8,119
Currently listening to Above and Beyond and Aurosonic Podcasts....unamped and amped with IE8, just beautiful. I've never really experienced a mid-oriented IEM such as the Shure SE530, but you have definitely made an excellent decision to purchase the Sennheiser IE8... i thought balanced was the way to go for trance, but its not really toe-tappingly fun or energetic, for the bass and soundstage, i don't think you should look anywhere else in universal monitors, IE8 all the way...IMO

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #6,589 of 8,119
This is a post regarding the unboxed Sennheisers from play.com.  I contacted Sennheiser direct and this is what they said

[size=x-small]Thank you for your email.[/size]

[size=x-small]Please be advised that Sennheiser are aware of the batch of headphones being sold on Play.com that you may have received.[/size]

[size=x-small]Sennheiser UK sold a batch of headphones to Play.com that were unboxed and without accessories for a reduced price, and these headphones were then in turn marketed by Play.com as "Basic Range IE6,7 & 8's" hence the reduction in price fro what they would be on our website.[/size]

[size=x-small]If you log on to [/size][size=x-small]www.play.com[/size][size=x-small] and search the headphones you have purchased it does actually detail under the headphones description what is inclusive of the package.[/size]

[size=x-small]I would advise that the second pair of headphones to be sent out to you will be exactly the same.[/size]

[size=x-small]If you would like to pay full price and have accessories etc arrive with the headphone package I would suggest going on [/size][size=x-small]www.sennheiser.co.uk's[/size][size=x-small] website and purchasing them through this channel.[/size]

[size=x-small]Kindest Regards,[/size]

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #6,590 of 8,119
No offence to Play.com, but thats a load of bollocks. I dont recall seeing anywhere in the description of the IE7s that they were not shipping with accessories or outer packaging. Now they've reverted to full price again, its impossible to validate that claim they make anyway, so it stinks of a cover up to me.   Indeed, if i go to my account and look at my order with them, it brings up a product box for the IE7 that says:

1. Delivery Includes:
  2. 1 IE 7
  3. 1 set of ear adapters (S/M/L)
  4. 1 protective case
  5. 1 cleaning tool
  6. 1 cable clip

So I am totally within my rights to demand a refund on that basis, and I suspect if you were to push the case, you could demand a full replacement with exactly the kit listed above if you wished.....

Quote:
This is a post regarding the unboxed Sennheisers from play.com.  I contacted Sennheiser direct and this is what they said

[size=x-small]Thank you for your email.[/size]

[size=x-small]Please be advised that Sennheiser are aware of the batch of headphones being sold on Play.com that you may have received.[/size]

[size=x-small]Sennheiser UK sold a batch of headphones to Play.com that were unboxed and without accessories for a reduced price, and these headphones were then in turn marketed by Play.com as "Basic Range IE6,7 & 8's" hence the reduction in price fro what they would be on our website.[/size]

[size=x-small]If you log on to [/size][size=x-small]www.play.com[/size][size=x-small] and search the headphones you have purchased it does actually detail under the headphones description what is inclusive of the package.[/size]

[size=x-small]I would advise that the second pair of headphones to be sent out to you will be exactly the same.[/size]

[size=x-small]If you would like to pay full price and have accessories etc arrive with the headphone package I would suggest going on [/size][size=x-small]www.sennheiser.co.uk's[/size][size=x-small] website and purchasing them through this channel.[/size]

[size=x-small]Kindest Regards,[/size]

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #6,591 of 8,119
Just joined the IE8 fan club, love the bass and relative detail. My only nitpick is of Sennheiser's characteristic veil, the mids seem slightly veiled to my tastes but is still very tolerable.

IE8 at bass at max + Rockboxed clip + Bass set to +24db + Doof doof music = Subw00ferz in mah earz babeh!

Sep 29, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #6,592 of 8,119

You are officially a bass-head. lol. The IE8 can be EQ-ed to remove the veil, but that probably means dropping the bass. When people talk about the bass bleeding into mids etc, I tend to think it just means there is sufficient bass being pushed around and that means, if there is no exit for the bass, it stays within the space resulting in the colouration. So if people want heavy bass and isolation without compromising some SQ, I reckon it would be quite difficult, being very general here and I know this can be criticised very easily. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Just joined the IE8 fan club, love the bass and relative detail. My only nitpick is of Sennheiser's characteristic veil, the mids seem slightly veiled to my tastes but is still very tolerable.

IE8 at bass at max + Rockboxed clip + Bass set to +24db + Doof doof music = Subw00ferz in mah earz babeh!

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #6,594 of 8,119

Haha...I can't imagine cranking the bass up anymore lol.
Quote:
Haha, nah I usually have the IE8's bass set between min and the 3rd notch. Only ever do that crazy doof doof stuff when I'm really in the mood.

Sep 29, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #6,595 of 8,119
After reading reviews I have ordered my very own IE8's from here; http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headphones/23640/Sennheiser+IE8.htm
I will add a small review once they arrive.

Sep 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #6,596 of 8,119
I really dont know what to do now.  I think it really sucks as it is clearly evident that I am not the only one who feels MUGGED.  Where is "the set of ear adapters (S/M/L) for gawd sakes.  I only got one pair.  I got no cleaning tool/bass adjuster either.  Am I going to miss out on my headphones I wonder.  Should I have just swallowed my anger when I received the headphones with missing bits and just kept them??? Makes me wonder whether I will be sent any back now they are "out of Stock"   

Quote:
No offence to Play.com, but thats a load of bollocks. I dont recall seeing anywhere in the description of the IE7s that they were not shipping with accessories or outer packaging. Now they've reverted to full price again, its impossible to validate that claim they make anyway, so it stinks of a cover up to me.   Indeed, if i go to my account and look at my order with them, it brings up a product box for the IE7 that says:

1. Delivery Includes:
  2. 1 IE 7
  3. 1 set of ear adapters (S/M/L)
  4. 1 protective case
  5. 1 cleaning tool
  6. 1 cable clip

So I am totally within my rights to demand a refund on that basis, and I suspect if you were to push the case, you could demand a full replacement with exactly the kit listed above if you wished.....

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #6,598 of 8,119

Quote:
Anyone knows where i could get the ie8i for less than $300?

I can't really tell if you are from Singapore, Canada, or California.  Color me Ignorant.  Anyway, on the off chance that you are ordering from the US, or that you can order from Amazon outside of the US I just picked up some refurbished IE8 from seller ADGTRON....and I just noticed you are after the IE8i which means you want the version with a mic...so never mind.

Anyway, for my contribution to the massive appreciation thread: I noticed some guys/gals on this forum buying refurbished IE6 phones from above seller, went to Amazon and noticed he was selling IE8 phones for $179.  I clicked the "buy" button.  I was very skeptical of the price, but since I followed the lead from this forum and he was evidently an authorized reseller I decided there were certainly others who took more of a risk with less to go on.  I compared my IEMs with the "fake" thread and thought I had the real deal, but I don't really trust my eyes when it comes to careful analysis. 

At this point, I have had the IE8s for about a week and they handily trounce my only other iems.  The only other IEMs I have for comparison are some Creative 630 and Monster Beats Tour which were both bought before head-fi and really, really are both simply absolutely destroyed by the IE8 so much so that I now find the Beats unbearable to listen to.  I even prefer the IE8 to my ATH-M50 which I find remarkable given the obvious difference in physical scale.  I am hesitant to even mention where I bought my IE8s from simply because I am rather inexperienced and don't want to lead anyone toward a scam, but logically I don't see how a fake could sound better than the M50 so I am reasonably sure these are the real deal.

On a sad note, I expected the IE8 to sound better than the Tours and ordered them under the assumption that I could use the Tours as a handy backup pair(I use IEMs a lot and can easily justify two pairs).  Unfortunately, the Senss are so much better than the Tours that I literally cannot stand them even to mow the yard or run in.  Now I find myself scouring the forums for a cheap source of Monster Coppers.  Anyone heard of Onecall and do you still get the crazy warranty?  Anyway, back on topic.  I feel rather proud of myself at the moment.  Since joining head-fi I've managed to cull a lot of information and even managed to nail my preferred sound signature.  I am two for two with the IE8 and the M50.

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #6,599 of 8,119
Lol I'm from Canada and in Singapore/hk during the summer lol.

Back on topic: 179 is pretty cheap though an if it's an authorized dealer I might consider getting it. I think one all might still sell the coppers for a low price, either way the warranty still applies as it's from monster.

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #6,600 of 8,119
I bought my IE8 in march 2009 and after 1,5 year of using the IE8 on a daily basis (normally for about 1-2 hours a day) - of which I absolutely loved every minute - I got a bit curious for other soundsignatures, I guess you could say I got moderately bored with the IE8 over the time. Then, I stumbled into a great deal for the sennheiser HD 25-II portable headphone, grabbed them and oh my..! Whereas the IE8 is kinda overdoing it at the bass, the HD25 are just very well balanced (after some serious burn in). Nowadays, I still find myself having a struggle in the morning on which to take with me when leaving the house. SQ wise, i'd probably pick the HD25 (it has a slight edge over the IE8 imo). However, the IE8 is just so much more versatile in use and just seems indestructable even after all the abuse over a period of 1,5 year. I've always taken them with me to the gym 3-4 times a week while sweating and sometimes accidently pulling one of the earbuds out by the cable, wrapped them around my Ipod whenever not using them and randomly threw them around in my house. And yet, they're still in a mint state with no signs of usage at all... So to conclude, these IEMs might cost you a bit, especially oustide europe, but they're most definately worth the buck as you won't require an inferior pair of IEMs to do the more 'hazardous' stuff with...!

p.s. I was walking on a electronics fair in shenzen (china) when I noticed a pair of IE8's selling for only 350 rmb, which is just about 35 euros or 40 dollars... the box was impossible to distinct from the real one but the the connectors on both ends (well, three actually) were not transparant. the box also did not contain the case sennheiser normally provides. i'm sure these fakes will find their way to america/europe eventually so watch out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back