Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #6,542 of 8,119

Quote:
well since they don't hiss out of my PC's headphone jack, I will probably just return the udac2 if there's no fix and find something else. Maybe the fiio E7.

true!

have a look at some of the other stuff around as well I guess. I'm not in a position to comment much. I've only used it with my D10

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #6,543 of 8,119

Quote:
Got ie8 today, hissing when used with udac2. No hissing hooked to onboard sound on my PC. Emailed nuforce about the udac2, but any suggestions here would also be appreciated.

Oddly, I get a great fit with the tips that come on the things, time will tell if they are comfy for long sessions though.

Strange - my uDAC-2 doesn't hiss even with my most sensitive IEM (ES3X, W3, etc) that hiss on other amps.  And my IE8 did not hiss with my noisiest amp that hisses noticeably with my most sensitive IEM (ALO Amphora and AMP3).  I've never felt the IE8 were a hissy IEM.  I suspect there is a problem with the uDAC-2 and it should be okay after you have it replaced.

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #6,544 of 8,119

Quote:
Strange - my uDAC-2 doesn't hiss even with my most sensitive IEM (ES3X, W3, etc) that hiss on other amps.  And my IE8 did not hiss with my noisiest amp that hisses noticeably with my most sensitive IEM (ALO Amphora and AMP3).  I've never felt the IE8 were a hissy IEM.  I suspect there is a problem with the uDAC-2 and it should be okay after you have it replaced.

Thanks for this info. I will get a replacement udac2 for sure then, hope it hasn't damaged my IE8s

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #6,545 of 8,119
Have to say I am pleased with the IE8s. Settled on the Meelec M11+ clear long double flange(SQ) or the senn medium single flange(comfort). Probably if I can get the M11 tips to soften up a tad I'll stick with them. Waiting on µDac2 replacement and also have a fiio E7 on the way and I can a/b them to see which I like more.

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #6,546 of 8,119
Actually, I noticed a long time ago, after trying various tips, that the most comfortable and isolating for me are the default medium single flanged silicon tips. That surprised me a bit. If only the stock L foam tips were just a tad smaller, I guess I'd be using them. The thin silicone seems to be the most comfortable to my skin, though.

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #6,547 of 8,119
Yeah I have forgotten that I had them in with the stock silicon tips and tried to walk off hooked to my PC twice so far. I think instead of messing with more tips I'm going to just replace all the fans in my PC with silent ones. I have a lot of HDD too but I think if I make the fans completely silent then the HDDs won't pose a problem for the IE8s. With the M11 long biflange tips and bass knob turned all the way up they do sound like my long lost HD650s.
Now I just need to find some way to make this horribly mastered and compressed pop music listenable 
devil_face.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #6,549 of 8,119

Hi all .

I'm currently in the midst of making my payment to ACS so that they're able to proceed with my order . I've attached a picture here so that any helpful bros could fill me in with the details . 

This would be the picture .

So what is their clearing code ? I've never done this before thus asking the help of some bros here .

This would be the details that Stacey had sent me through email .

Acc Name: Advanced Communication Solutions Limited
Acc No: 33228698
Sort Code: 60-10-07
IBAN: GB70 NWBK 6010 0733 2286 98
SWIFT (BIC): NWBK GB 2L
VAT: 660528635

Would appreciate if bros here could help me with this . Thanks .
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #6,550 of 8,119
well, i got these recently, and wow am i impressed!
my audiophilia (or lack thereof) has been restricted before to apple buds, some really old over the ear-earphones and koss ksc75 (kramer modded + new pads). the apple sets have been - well, rubbish so i used predominately the over the ear type. when those broke, i discovered the best under £50 earphone to be the ksc75s. modded, the cost was about £25, and did they sound good to my untrained ears!

i later wanted 3 things - isolation, better looks (koss are hooorible) and sq - i had a sneaking suspicion it could be a lot better. so after reading up i thought the ie8s were the best choice for me. im going to let you tear me apart by saying any more than the £160 i paid for these babys is ridiculous expenditure, but hey, if you earnt the money, imo you have every right to spend it on what you want.

build and fit:
amazing. Thanks to some info i read earlier on, i was able to open this without scissors. The phones felt ridiculously light, but strong, and the cable! wow, good so far. I also found them to be very comfy with small foamies, good seal and pretty good isolation.

Initial impressions:
rubbish. they sounded  so bad, i nearly wanted to kill myself. you know, bloated bass, and pretty much nothing else to hear.

after about 50 hours
amazing. the bass has tightened and is more controlled, vocals are unveiling spectacularly and mids are coming forward. Highs are not quite there yet, but burn-in should fix that. musically they are amazing, i just get lost with them. soundstage is so-so, only vocals are placeable (better than ksc75s), but i only really listen to recorded rap, rnb, pop, jazz, electronical, etc... not symphonies.

just so you know, i will NEVER use an amp, they are too bulky. the only upgrade i will ever consider are custom tips, since the foamies leave my ear canal odd-feeling and bigger. in fact, some people seem to spend so much on tips they exceed the price of acs customs, but i cant afford them now.

my source is 320kbps through a  HTC wildfire, will (fingers crossed) upgrade to ipod touch 4g. while sq may not be the best, they do loads of other things and are amazing for the price (sorry cowon, but no huge app store/ smooooooth interface)

i am enjoying the experience of transforming with my phones rather than a constant 'same' sound sig, which i believe to be the cause of audiophilia - wanting something different. and from what i hear, these only get better!

on a side note, while the case is classy it is quite clunky, could anyone give me their own measurements of the ue brushed metal case? by amazon specs http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Ears-Brushed-Steel-Earphone/dp/B001553Q6E/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1284883084&sr=8-1-fkmr1 they are actually clunkier than the provided case, or is that including packaging?

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #6,551 of 8,119
Question: Listen to about 35% classical, 35% rock, 25 percent hip hop/rap, 5 percent other as in indie/electronic.... I am in the <100 price range. Which is my best choice? MC5, HJE900,Super fi5, RE0,RE-Zero, IE6? Durability is an issue for me but most importantly SQ.but as a HS school student, i want these to be a worthy investment.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #6,552 of 8,119
Been lurking around a while and finally I bought this baby. This are the new ones (IE 8i) w mic and volume for iPhone 4. For the price they should make a better remote in terms of quality, plastic fantastic. When pressing the buttons you cant really register the click, need to press hard. Original iPhone remote feels much better.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #6,553 of 8,119

Quote:
Been lurking around a while and finally I bought this baby. This are the new ones (IE 8i) w mic and volume for iPhone 4. For the price they should make a better remote in terms of quality, plastic fantastic. When pressing the buttons you cant really register the click, need to press hard. Original iPhone remote feels much better.

omfgawd. I just got my IE8s back. pout lol

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #6,555 of 8,119

Quote:

on a side note, while the case is classy it is quite clunky, could anyone give me their own measurements of the ue brushed metal case? by amazon specs http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Ears-Brushed-Steel-Earphone/dp/B001553Q6E/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1284883084&sr=8-1-fkmr1 they are actually clunkier than the provided case, or is that including packaging?

IMO the UE aluminum case is one of the better IEM cases around. Its crush proof (to a degree) and its easy to roll your IEMs and throw them in. My only complaints about them are that they don't have a separate storage area for tips - then again that would just add to the case bulk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back