Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #6,451 of 8,119
I think your IE8s are fine. I just checked my IE8s and if I angle it I also see a very very faint line on the recessed part of the sound tube. The first pair I had, the line was very noticeable, as if it was glued together. But the sound tube looks a lot more professional than the first pair I had.

Grippy is a much better word to describe the cable, and the color of the cable is just like the picture. 

There should be a little bit of a red wire showing up in the translucent part of the ear pieces, but not easily seen. In my first pair, I saw a big red wire that was sticking out. In the pair I own now, there's just a little red wire that's not as noticeable.

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #6,452 of 8,119

Quote:
So, I had the IE8s once and sold them. I miss them and kind of wish I hadn't sold them. I started looking for a good place to buy them and online and ended up going back to Razordogdeals, where I bought my initial pair.

I talked to Brian at Razordogdeals.com, an authorized Sennheiser dealer. He gave me a promo code for us on headfi.org to use[size=10pt] for Sennheiser IE8 for $289 shipped priority mail CONUS. The promo code is [/size][size=10pt]razordog110.[/size] All of us are welcome to use it!

http://www.razordogdeals.com/collections/frontpage/products/sennheiser-ie-8-professional-portable-earphones-brand-new

where do you put the code? nm found it

i bought the dba-02s to replace my shure e2cs and do not like them for my listening, i listen to only trance i heard that these are really good for EDM is that true?.

also has anyone paired these with an alo rx? the dbas sound like crap amped (this coul be because the dbas might be defective)

thanks

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #6,453 of 8,119
Just an update for anyone with IE8's and interested in pairing them to a portable amp.

I have had the NuForce icon mobile now just over a week, I have about 80 hours on it so far and have noticed small changes in the sound, an opening up and also a crisper feel to the treble, symbols shimmer a little more, female vocals slightly smoother and more detailed.

Notes from two tracks I always use as a base line when setting up any hifi related things, The Eagles hotel California from the Hell freezes over album and Take 5 from Dave Brubecks time out album.

First the intro to hotel California, Joe Walsh's Guitar sounds very organic, one can hear the strings being plucked (if that is the right term, I am no guitarist!) and there is a lovely resonance to the strings, there seems to be more sustain of the note with this amp. The the Bass drum kicks in, rich, fruity and well defined, as the second layer of percussion enters it is easily deifnable and has a lovely resonance.

One can hear the drummers stick hitting the side of the drum, you can tell with each strike that the stick is hitting a different part of the metal rim of the drum, vocals are earthy and emotional. All in all excellent I feel.

On to take 5. With this set up one really gets into the timing of the track, sax is rich and reedy, symbols shimmer and are very detailed, again one can get a sense of the drum stick hitting different sections of the symbol with each strike. The drum solo about half way through is exceptional, feet tapping and a palpable sense of stick hitting skin, a lovely resonance.

This set up is really impressing me, it really makes the ipod classic shine.

For reference, all my music is burned from my CD collection lossless onto itunes then onto the classic.

Equipment is, latest generation 160g ipod classic, IE8's with the biflange tips now, medium in left ear, large in right (after much experimenting. This also is recent. As the amp has burned in I have needed to change the eartip set up, I find this gives the best detail and alows the bass to feel really well controled) My ear canals are slightly different in size!

Quables silvercad LOD and aforsaid amp!

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #6,454 of 8,119

Quote:
Just an update for anyone with IE8's and interested in pairing them to a portable amp.

I have had the NuForce icon mobile now just over a week, I have about 80 hours on it so far and have noticed small changes in the sound, an opening up and also a crisper feel to the treble, symbols shimmer a little more, female vocals slightly smoother and more detailed.

Notes from two tracks I always use as a base line when setting up any hifi related things, The Eagles hotel California from the Hell freezes over album and Take 5 from Dave Brubecks time out album.

First the intro to hotel California, Joe Walsh's Guitar sounds very organic, one can hear the strings being plucked (if that is the right term, I am no guitarist!) and there is a lovely resonance to the strings, there seems to be more sustain of the note with this amp. The the Bass drum kicks in, rich, fruity and well defined, as the second layer of percussion enters it is easily deifnable and has a lovely resonance.

One can hear the drummers stick hitting the side of the drum, you can tell with each strike that the stick is hitting a different part of the metal rim of the drum, vocals are earthy and emotional. All in all excellent I feel.

On to take 5. With this set up one really gets into the timing of the track, sax is rich and reedy, symbols shimmer and are very detailed, again one can get a sense of the drum stick hitting different sections of the symbol with each strike. The drum solo about half way through is exceptional, feet tapping and a palpable sense of stick hitting skin, a lovely resonance.

This set up is really impressing me, it really makes the ipod classic shine.

For reference, all my music is burned from my CD collection lossless onto itunes then onto the classic.

Equipment is, latest generation 160g ipod classic, IE8's with the biflange tips now, medium in left ear, large in right (after much experimenting. This also is recent. As the amp has burned in I have needed to change the eartip set up, I find this gives the best detail and alows the bass to feel really well controled) My ear canals are slightly different in size!

Quables silvercad LOD and aforsaid amp!

I was surprised when the Nuforce Icon Mobile sounded better with IE8 than my Predator, P-51, 3MOVE, Pico and other high end amps that usually gave the IE8 too much bass.  The Vivid V1 (also a cheap $99 amp) is also better with IE8 to my ears than the other portable amps.  With most other normal high-end portable amps I didn't like the IE8 a whole lot, as their bass was on a different level than the mids and highs and didn't seem to mesh together well for me.  

At the other extreme, the ALO Amphora transportable amp was the best I ever heard with the IE8, making them sound better than most other universal IEM.  The IE8 went from one of my least favorite in the over $150 category to one of my favorites in the $400 category, just by adding in the Amphora.  With the right synergy the IE8 turned out to be a great sounding IEM.

What's strange is that the Amphora has nothing in common with the Icon Mobile, especially in the area of sound signature since the Amphora reminds me most of my WA6.  And yet the Amphora is my favorite amp with both the IE8 and my new Westone ES5 (note - I have only tried the ES5 with iPhone, Pico Slim and Amphora since I got them a few hours ago). The ES5 customs sound nothing like an IE8, being closest to the JH13Pro, and yet they sound fantastic with the same amp that made the IE8 shine.  Synergy can be weird sometimes.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #6,455 of 8,119
Quote:
I was surprised when the Nuforce Icon Mobile sounded better with IE8 than my Predator, P-51, 3MOVE, Pico and other high end amps that usually gave the IE8 too much bass.  The Vivid V1 (also a cheap $99 amp) is also better with IE8 to my ears than the other portable amps.  With most other normal high-end portable amps I didn't like the IE8 a whole lot, as their bass was on a different level than the mids and highs and didn't seem to mesh together well for me.  

At the other extreme, the ALO Amphora transportable amp was the best I ever heard with the IE8, making them sound better than most other universal IEM.  The IE8 went from one of my least favorite in the over $150 category to one of my favorites in the $400 category, just by adding in the Amphora.  With the right synergy the IE8 turned out to be a great sounding IEM.

What's strange is that the Amphora has nothing in common with the Icon Mobile, especially in the area of sound signature since the Amphora reminds me most of my WA6.  And yet the Amphora is my favorite amp with both the IE8 and my new Westone ES5 (note - I have only tried the ES5 with iPhone, Pico Slim and Amphora since I got them a few hours ago). The ES5 customs sound nothing like an IE8, being closest to the JH13Pro, and yet they sound fantastic with the same amp that made the IE8 shine.  Synergy can be weird sometimes.

@Headphone Addict:
This is interesting...and nuForce Mobile isn't that much dosh.  I'm considering some custom tips and the NuForce Mobile now.  

I just don't like being tied down (that's why I like earphones- you take the sweet spot with your head) but I will at least research the Amphora transportable amp.  You've tried the IE8 with a lot of amps...

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #6,456 of 8,119
Sob. The Amphora is amazingly, epically out of my price range. I didn't think an amp could do anything with the IE8s... wow! The Nuforce sounds more like it's up my alley, but reading first impressions about the Amphora is incredibly convincing.

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #6,457 of 8,119
I'm using the M sized Sony hybrids and it really works for me . Tried various kinds of tips and even doing the IE8 tip mod still doesn't do my right canal justice . In the end bought the Sony Hybrids which cost near to SGD$30 and am very happy wif it nw . :)

Currently tinking of ordering Arrow 2G , anyone currently using tat amp wif IE8 other than bro dfkt who's willing to gif an impression ? :D

Quote:
if you want to get rid of the hiss try adding one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ETYMOTIC-ER4P-ER4S-RESISTOR-ADAPTOR-3-5MM-PLUG-/290372905689?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439b92ead9

it will reduce the volume a bit so you will have to turn it up more.  if that would be a problem for you they will make you lower impedence ones that should still get rid of the hiss

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #6,458 of 8,119

Quote:
I'm using the M sized Sony hybrids and it really works for me . Tried various kinds of tips and even doing the IE8 tip mod still doesn't do my right canal justice . In the end bought the Sony Hybrids which cost near to SGD$30 and am very happy wif it nw . :)

Currently tinking of ordering Arrow 2G , anyone currently using tat amp wif IE8 other than bro dfkt who's willing to gif an impression ? :D

Ah ha! So the sony hybrids do fit the wide tunnel on the ie8's! The look like the would not. I was looking at them in my local sony store ($9 for a pack of various sizes) but did not want to damage the senns.Is the colour coded inner section very flexible, it looks stiffer to me.

And just to make sure what I saw is the same as you have here is a link.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665815084&tab=featuresTab

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #6,459 of 8,119
They are a very tight fit but as long as you twist and spin rather than force you can get them on. I read how someone on here slowly pushed them down a widening piece of wood (like a chopstick), left them on a little bit, and widened them just enough to get a little bit more room to put them on. I may try it! But I loved the Sony Hybrids on the IE8's.

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #6,460 of 8,119
Yes bro . The coded inner section is flexible , not very . Haha . Don't worry , it's easy to slip it on . I just inverted the hybrids and slip it in on 1 side of the wide tunnel (half of the coded inner section) , when half of it is in , i'll just stretch it alittle and slip it in for the other side .

Hope it helps . :)

Quote:
Ah ha! So the sony hybrids do fit the wide tunnel on the ie8's! The look like the would not. I was looking at them in my local sony store ($9 for a pack of various sizes) but did not want to damage the senns.Is the colour coded inner section very flexible, it looks stiffer to me.

And just to make sure what I saw is the same as you have here is a link.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665815084&tab=featuresTab

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #6,461 of 8,119
I wouldn't recommend tat as i've tried those on " fake " UE tips in which the inner section is like sony hybrids . Yes , they did expand but they didn't went back to their original shape after tat . Never tried it on sony hybrids tho . 

Quote:
They are a very tight fit but as long as you twist and spin rather than force you can get them on. I read how someone on here slowly pushed them down a widening piece of wood (like a chopstick), left them on a little bit, and widened them just enough to get a little bit more room to put them on. I may try it! But I loved the Sony Hybrids on the IE8's.

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #6,462 of 8,119
Great advice folks. I will pop into town tomorrow and get a set!

I have been experimenting with the stock tips since getting the Nuforce, the sound is changing as the amp burns in but it is nearly there so I thought I would give these a try. In your experience do you find the sizes comprable to the equivilent Senn tips, I ask as I use a medium size in my left ear and a large in my right!

Thanks again, can't wait to give them a go!

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #6,463 of 8,119
Firstly, thanks so much for the info on the Sony hybrid tips!

I went to my local sony store today and picked up a set.

I found them very easy to put on the Senns. X3's advice on inverting them is a winner.

I have the large on the right channel, medium on the left so that leaves one spare set left for when these wear out!

To the sound, well, I have been finding the ie's receptivness to burn in much more than a myth, as with the Nuforce amp, both have really come on since first getting them and I have achieved a really well balanced sound with the stock tips..At least I thought!

I use several tracks as my standard, "if they can play well and sound convincing then everything else will tracks" These include from the Eagles hell freezes over, hotel California, Take five from Dave Brubecks time out album, Golden bird from Levon Helms Electric Dirt album and red wing blackbird from Kathy Mattea's wonderful Coal album.

The sony's add a sevearl layers of quality to the existing sound. I have found that the sticks hitting the cymbols on the time out track even more metallic, more sustain of the note and even more definition of the sticks placement on the cymbols. The sax is even more reedy, more palpable, the double bass even tighter and controlled.

Kathy's red wing blackbird is stunning, her vocal has more presence and even greater three dimensionality, the backing track more defined and easier to hear (it is quite low in the mix as intended). The violing intro in Golden bird litterally had my hair on the back of my neck standing on end, the texture of the notes played was visceral and the sustain of the last note just kept going! Levons voice showed so clearly the health issues he has just gone through, it sounded strong yet at the same time slightly vulnerable, It is amazing to hear though that voice now compared to the early days singing with The Band, It still retains that earthy southern honesty and these tips really helped show that.

This was the best $10 I have spent in a long time and I really recommend this upgrade, it adds so much to the musical experience which these Senns are so good at portraying. I love my set up now, it gives me so much emotion and feeling, I don't want to turn it off!

For reference, my system is Latest generation classic, Nuforce icon mobile amp/dac qables silvercad pro LOD and of course the IE8's! Music is ripped from CD lossless.

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #6,464 of 8,119
 Just got my first pair of IE8's today and I'm loving them so far!  Even without burn in they are sounding better to me than my 400 hour+ RE0's, The bass isn't overwhelming like I thought it would be and they have good detail, Really good vocals and a soundstage that seems wider than my Grado SR 80's 
tongue_smile.gif

I can't wait to see how they change in sound with more use (If they do)  Currently using them over ear with the large RE0 bi-flanges and isolation is just as good as my other IEM but will try comply tips later on to see if it isolates even more without sacrificing detail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back