Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #6,436 of 8,119

Quote:
Just newly bought a pair of ie8 to pair with my X1060. Burning in and trying hard to find the suitable tips for my right ear.......
Actually does anyone use different tips for each side of the earbud?

Congratulations! Yes, I use one size smaller of the same type in my left ear.

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #6,437 of 8,119
Just llok at mt signature, all of them is brought within 2months and I spend ~$1000 in total
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #6,438 of 8,119
the first IE8s I received was from someone selling on ebay who provided a receipt from some authorized dealer who sells them in Germany. When receiving the IE8s, the right ride showed some signs of wear, and the overall build quality was not as top notch as the second pair I received, which I bought from a head-fi member who knew it was 100% authentic. Some of the differences:

- The clearest and most noticeable difference between the first pair(fakes) and the second pair is the sound tube. On the first pair, there was a noticeable line on both sides of the sound tube... as if it was made with two parts. This second pair I have has a sound tube that looks immaculately crafted, with no noticeable lines, everything looks smooth and well-built.
- The box. The second pair I received had a solid feel to it and the part that says "open here" is a lot better put together than the probable fakes. The "open here" part of the box ripped easily with the probable fakes. Also, the image of the IE8s popping out have a more sticky feel to it with the authentics... it could just be me.
- The cable is darker and softer yet have a sticky feel, while the fakes were light colored and were smooth. This is definite. The cable material was actually what made me believe that the first pair I had might have been fake. There's a certain stickiness to this pair. If your pair of IE8s has a smooth cable with no sticky feel to it, they could be fake.
- The sound. The highs are recessed in the probable fakes, and smooth and more present in my second pair. The fakes had a bass that veiled the highs, while this pair has more of a balance. 
- The head-fi member sent me a larger cable clip... which could either be a newer cable clip from Sennheiser, or just a cable clip that came with a different pair of Sennheiser headphones that the head-fi member sent me. The cable clip with the first pair was the normal cable clip that come with most sennheiser IEMs...

All of the accessories came with both boxes, and its scary to see how close the first pair was to the second. I am 90% sure the first pair I had were fakes. I hated the IE8s back then and wanted to get rid of them.. the build quality was worse than the IE8s I own now in terms of cable, sound tube, and sound, which are the clear giveaways for me. I'm glad I received a pair I know for sure is authentic.

One more thing I need to clarify is that most of the comparisons on the fake IE8 page aren't clear giveaways. The red wire chip difference is complete bogus. The first pair I had had the red wire and made me truly believe I had genuine IE8s, but they sounded like crap. Also, I don't quite see the differences in the storage box, nor were there differences I noticed with the R and L on both IE8s. For me, the difference was in the cable, the edges on the sound tube, and most importantly, the sound.

Jul 24, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #6,439 of 8,119
     Quote:
What's funny is when I had my first pair of IE8s against the W3s, I preferred the W3s much more because I felt the IE8s had a recessed treble. However, After missing the IE8 sound, I decided to purchase a second pair from a fellow head-fi member, and the second pair I had was simply amazing. The highs were there that were missing in my first pair of IE8s and the soundstage blew away the W3s. This makes me think that my first pair of IE8s might have been fakes, because they were bass overwhelming and caused such fatigue. So you might want to make sure your IE8s are genuine... I was skeptical at first with all the fakes going around, but after receiving my second pair of IE8s, I completely believe that fakes are being made that look exactly like authentics. However, the fakes sound worse yet not enough to scream fakes until you compare them with a genuine pair, so it's very difficult to tell.

Mine were not fakes. I did check the IE8 fakes thread and the photos in it (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/457420/warning-fake-ie8s-comparison-pictures-included) and made sure mine were definitely not fakes. These IE8s sounded too good to be fakes. I also mentioned I got mine directly from Amazon and NOT from an Amazon Market Place seller as I know some of these do sell fake products.

The IE8s are very good indeed - and I did say so in my first post here 8 days ago -  but my customs are simply better and gradually every time I picked up the IE8s I just couldn't bear the difference in SQ any longer; basically the clarity in sound and better instrument separation. I also owned the W3 and found them a bit fatiguing after extended use, and I preferred the UM3X. Of all top-tier universals I've tried (UM3X, IE8, W3, SE530 & CK10), the UM3X remains the best to these ears. My ES3X beat all of them, but they beat the UM3X by the smallest margin.

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #6,440 of 8,119

Quote:

Where did you get them from?

I got them from an online retailer, brand new. It should be authorized. It sells other models too, from CX line (280-980) IE (6,7,8) and the MX, OMX, adidas, HD xxx, PCX, and lot of their microphones. And I had to wait for like 2 weeks after ordering the IE8.
and it also came with a paper, with the stamp of the company that imported it.

Jul 24, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #6,441 of 8,119
my ie8s other day sounded different.. completely opened up now.. sound amazing with the X1060 now! id say it took probs70-80 hours or so to notice a big difference!

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #6,442 of 8,119

Quote:
my ie8s other day sounded different.. completely opened up now.. sound amazing with the X1060 now! id say it took probs70-80 hours or so to notice a big difference!

These phones really so benifit from extended burn in. I noticed a difference after 50 hours then even more after 150 and now I have around 300 on them they are very different from what I enjoyed when I opened the box, they have improved in so many ways and now they are teamed up with the icon mobile it is WOW!

The icon brings traits similar to Naim audio to these headphones..It's intoxicating!

Jul 24, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #6,443 of 8,119
Some questions:

1) How is sound isolation of IE7 compared to HeadDirect RE2 (fitted with biflanges)? Rate on a scale of 5 or 10
2) How is sound isolation of IE8 compared to HeadDirect RE2 (fitted with biflanges)?
3) Can RE2's biflanges be fitted on to IE7 / IE8?

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #6,444 of 8,119
demoed these a few weeks ago and they are soooooo damn good, better than my MTPC.... so im wondering where is the cheapest place to get them from an authorized dealer? Or where do you guys get your ie8?

Read through the last few pages, only saw someone mentioned that they bought it from amazon but im looking for a cheaper price.

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #6,445 of 8,119
So, I had the IE8s once and sold them. I miss them and kind of wish I hadn't sold them. I started looking for a good place to buy them and online and ended up going back to Razordogdeals, where I bought my initial pair.

I talked to Brian at Razordogdeals.com, an authorized Sennheiser dealer. He gave me a promo code for us on headfi.org to use[size=10pt] for Sennheiser IE8 for $289 shipped priority mail CONUS. The promo code is [/size][size=10pt]razordog110.[/size] All of us are welcome to use it!

http://www.razordogdeals.com/collections/frontpage/products/sennheiser-ie-8-professional-portable-earphones-brand-new

Jul 29, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #6,446 of 8,119
In hit the 150 hour mark today, but after I read some posts it seems like I still need another 150 hours of burn in:)

By the way, what noise do you guys use for burn in? Pink niose, blue noise, brown noise, white noise???

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #6,447 of 8,119

Quote:
demoed these a few weeks ago and they are soooooo damn good, better than my MTPC.... so im wondering where is the cheapest place to get them from an authorized dealer? Or where do you guys get your ie8?

Read through the last few pages, only saw someone mentioned that they bought it from amazon but im looking for a cheaper price.

I think the only way you'd get something cheaper than that is to look in the for sale forum to be honest. I'm not sure where else would be good for that. I have to be honest and say I'm glad someone finds the IE8 better than the MTPC when most of the others find the MTPCs to be better heh.

Quote:
In hit the 150 hour mark today, but after I read some posts it seems like I still need another 150 hours of burn in:)

By the way, what noise do you guys use for burn in? Pink niose, blue noise, brown noise, white noise???

Burn in sometimes is in the mind, getting used to the sound etc. At first, I used pink noise, sine waves, etc to burn in, but after a while, I thought to myself, I'm not 100% sure about burn in, but I did pay a gazillion dollars for these, so to kill two birds with one stone, I just burnt it in with music I listen to and to be honest, I just listened to it whilst it was burning in. Why waste it? That's my opinion.

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #6,448 of 8,119
^Yea i just love that thick and rich sound of the ie8; the MTPC sounds thinner and isn't as engaging. 
Damn, wanna get the ie8 first-hand but i guess i will have to scout around for better prices... 285 is still pretty ex for me since it's considered as an extra earphone...

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #6,449 of 8,119
Do you have any pictures of your 2nd pair of headphones?

My sound tubes have a line on both sides, but it is pretty faint and most visible in the recessed portion of the tube.  It is only visible in good light and when I angle it just right to catch the light in a way that shows the seems.  I would also describe my cable as smooth but grippy.  It seems more grippy than sticky to me.  Does that seem to fit with yours, or do they really feel sticky?

Can you descirbe the color of your cable relative to the color of the headphone?  My cable is slightly lighter than the headphones, similar to what you see in the pictures on this page (http://www.soundearphones.com/brands/sennheiser/sennheiser-ie-8-earphones).  My cable also doesn't have the red in the translucent section near the ear pieces.

I would also describe the sound in mine to be more balanced.  I was somewhat surprised to find that the bass wasn't heavier based on some of the reviews I have read.

Quote:
the first IE8s I received was from someone selling on ebay who provided a receipt from some authorized dealer who sells them in Germany. When receiving the IE8s, the right ride showed some signs of wear, and the overall build quality was not as top notch as the second pair I received, which I bought from a head-fi member who knew it was 100% authentic. Some of the differences:

- The clearest and most noticeable difference between the first pair(fakes) and the second pair is the sound tube. On the first pair, there was a noticeable line on both sides of the sound tube... as if it was made with two parts. This second pair I have has a sound tube that looks immaculately crafted, with no noticeable lines, everything looks smooth and well-built.
- The box. The second pair I received had a solid feel to it and the part that says "open here" is a lot better put together than the probable fakes. The "open here" part of the box ripped easily with the probable fakes. Also, the image of the IE8s popping out have a more sticky feel to it with the authentics... it could just be me.
- The cable is darker and softer yet have a sticky feel, while the fakes were light colored and were smooth. This is definite. The cable material was actually what made me believe that the first pair I had might have been fake. There's a certain stickiness to this pair. If your pair of IE8s has a smooth cable with no sticky feel to it, they could be fake.
- The sound. The highs are recessed in the probable fakes, and smooth and more present in my second pair. The fakes had a bass that veiled the highs, while this pair has more of a balance. 
- The head-fi member sent me a larger cable clip... which could either be a newer cable clip from Sennheiser, or just a cable clip that came with a different pair of Sennheiser headphones that the head-fi member sent me. The cable clip with the first pair was the normal cable clip that come with most sennheiser IEMs...

All of the accessories came with both boxes, and its scary to see how close the first pair was to the second. I am 90% sure the first pair I had were fakes. I hated the IE8s back then and wanted to get rid of them.. the build quality was worse than the IE8s I own now in terms of cable, sound tube, and sound, which are the clear giveaways for me. I'm glad I received a pair I know for sure is authentic.

One more thing I need to clarify is that most of the comparisons on the fake IE8 page aren't clear giveaways. The red wire chip difference is complete bogus. The first pair I had had the red wire and made me truly believe I had genuine IE8s, but they sounded like crap. Also, I don't quite see the differences in the storage box, nor were there differences I noticed with the R and L on both IE8s. For me, the difference was in the cable, the edges on the sound tube, and most importantly, the sound.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #6,450 of 8,119

In Canada I think one of the best sources was NCIX, but I don't think they will be any cheaper...

Quote:
^Yea i just love that thick and rich sound of the ie8; the MTPC sounds thinner and isn't as engaging. 
Damn, wanna get the ie8 first-hand but i guess i will have to scout around for better prices... 285 is still pretty ex for me since it's considered as an extra earphone...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back