Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #2,222 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, this is strange. It appears that NCIXUS.com no longer carries Sennheisers. The IE8s are still available on the Canadian site, however.

NCIX.com Search: "Sennheiser"

NCIXUS.com Search: "Sennheiser"

The Ie8 didn't show for me for a while on the US, site. The guy fro ncix Braydon said they were having trouble with the webmaster. I paid 279.00 because the 221.31 price didn't show up, but one call and they credited me. They are the same exact as the ones from amazon to (my first pair) and they are an authorized dealer. Try and use one of the links a while back that was for 221.00, and see if they are still in stock, if you are looking to buy.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #2,223 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just modded some Olives, and put some silicon tips over it and it's odd... Treble definitely comes out, but mids seem different for some reason... It doesn't seem as natural for me.
Edit: I think I'll stick the the small foamies that came with the IE8's. I find them very comfortable as they don't go in as far. I don't mind about isolation whilst using these at home, so I'm ok.

Well, at least you tried it! I really didn't notice any difference in the mids, but than again I am using a large silicon tip that is not a stock one. As long as you have something that you feel works for you, then that is great!

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #2,224 of 8,119
I still can't decide
tongue.gif
I've been swapping tips for the past hour, and can't find which I like... Definitely stock foamies for comfort but the treble is a lot more clearer on the modded Olivecone (©) I shall try the Olivecones tomorrow when I go for a walk and see if they do any good for isolation.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #2,225 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ie8 didn't show for me for a while on the US, site. The guy fro ncix Braydon said they were having trouble with the webmaster. I paid 279.00 because the 221.31 price didn't show up, but one call and they credited me. They are the same exact as the ones from amazon to (my first pair) and they are an authorized dealer. Try and use one of the links a while back that was for 221.00, and see if they are still in stock, if you are looking to buy.

That's good to know! I was just checking to see if they were still in stock. I really don't have any money right now to buy.
redface.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #2,226 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, this is strange. It appears that NCIXUS.com no longer carries Sennheisers. The IE8s are still available on the Canadian site, however.

NCIX.com Search: "Sennheiser"

NCIXUS.com Search: "Sennheiser"

Well it's there, but not in stock on the Canadian site. Someone posting this on slickdeals probably cleaned them out.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #2,227 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still can't decide
tongue.gif
I've been swapping tips for the past hour, and can't find which I like... Definitely stock foamies for comfort but the treble is a lot more clearer on the modded Olivecone (©) I shall try the Olivecones tomorrow when I go for a walk and see if they do any good for isolation.

I played around with the palcement of my complys for some time to get both comfort and isolation. The olives are harder, so you may want to trim them down so they fit better. If you have complys around, I would recommend trying those, as they are much softer. Or you could buy cheap soft earplugs from a drug store. I get the best iso with these tips out of any of my IEMs.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #2,228 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I played around with the palcement of my complys for some time to get both comfort and isolation. The olives are harder, so you may want to trim them down so they fit better. If you have complys around, I would recommend trying those, as they are much softer. Or you could buy cheap soft earplugs from a drug store. I get the best iso with these tips out of any of my IEMs.

I've trimmed the Olives so they are the exact same size as the top flange on the stock dual flange... It can't get any less. I'll try that earplug method, forgot about it.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #2,229 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two hours of burn-in so far, and the bass is going up not down.
eek.gif
This bass better mellow out with burn-in or we're gonna have a problem - the bass definitely bleeds over into the lower mids of female vocals and Shelby Lynn is singing into a garbage can. The tone of the cymbals is off an I hear more drum stick than cymbal at this point. Will report back at 24 hours of burn-in.

It took me a while to try several tips with them, and I am still experimenting with those. The medium silicone just barely seal and are almost too small, but there is definite attenuation of outside noise so there has to be some seal. I'll run out to the car later and get my spare Complys T400 tips to try.

I have 16 Hz - 16 KHz hearing (46 year old). Normal listening volume for music via my iBasso D10 is about 10 o'clock on the volume knob, so tone testing with the volume still at 10 o'clock shows an un-burned 25 Hz - 16 KHz frequency response. If I turn the volume on my D10 higher to about 12 o'clock then 20Hz is there but several dB down in relation to the higher frequencies. Will re-try with different tips.

I'm at about 26 hours now, reporting daily as promised.

The bass is slightly improved and slightly less intrusive into the mids, and this needs to continued improvement. There is still an "HD650-like" veil over the details when compared to the W3. And the treble tone is still "off" like I reported yesterday (where I said cymbal strikes are more drumstick than cymbal) and not as sparkly as the W3 yet either.

So, there are some successes with a short burn-in, and it is closer to being listenable if I didn't have any other IEM. And I do like the impact and presence, but at 26 hours of burn-in the Phonak and W3 are still better (and X10 if I still had it).

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #2,231 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm... The NCIXUS.com IE8 page isn't showing up, but I've still got one showing in cart. Very tempted to buy it.

I suspect they fixed the problem with it showing up too cheap for the USA, and you should try buying it while you can - should be easy to resell if you don't like it.

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #2,232 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm at about 26 hours now, reporting daily as promised.

The bass is slightly improved and slightly less intrusive into the mids, and this needs to continued improvement. There is still an "HD650-like" veil over the details when compared to the W3. And the treble tone is still "off" like I reported yesterday (where I said cymbal strikes are more drumstick than cymbal) and not as sparkly as the W3 yet either.

So, there are some successes with a short burn-in, and it is closer to being listenable if I didn't have any other IEM. And I do like the impact and presence, but at 26 hours of burn-in the Phonak and W3 are still better (and X10 if I still had it).

It seems that a lot of IE8 users feel that the soundstaging is very large for an IEM. What is your take on this so far?

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #2,234 of 8,119
Double post again, this forum is very slow lately

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #2,235 of 8,119
Well they are here, that ordered today before 22.00 delivered tomorrow really works :wink:
Played around with tips, agree that non of them fits really well, but the large tips that came with the Sony MDR that came with the A808 gives a perfect seal; usually I'm an M, but the L fits better for IEMs that are not supposed to deep in the ear.
With those tips comfort is very good, the cables are perfect for wearing over the ear, something I never liked with SA6s and my old Shure E4s.
Sound is reasonable, slightly heavy slow bass, some treble harshness that is already disappearing, nice big sound I'll plug them in my Tivoli and forget about them till tomorrow.
BTWE I paid €229 inc S&H, reasonable I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back