Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #2,191 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You find the Westone 3 to have stronger bass than the IE8...which tips did you test the Westone 3 with? Also, do you recall if the greater bass on the Westone 3 was in the upper bass or was it in the lower bass? Any difference in bass extension in your experience?

Sorry if I'm asking things you can't answer, I won't hold it against you if you don't know. After all, that was a much too brief listening session you had.

-Ed

If I remember correctly, the W3's had a greater upper bass; as for bass extension, I find the IE8 wins in that department. The IE8's bass can get a little too deep for my tastes, so that is why I am considering the switch.

I used the yellow foamies and a medium comply tip to test the W3's. Sorry for my crappy explanation, but hopefully I can get in touch with Pianist again to do a swap sometime so I can do relaxed listening at home.

Perhaps HA can offer a much better opinion from his experience with all sorts of audio equipment, after his IE8's burn in. I am sure it will be a positive one.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #2,192 of 8,119
I have a pair of IE8 on their way and I will be carefully testing someone else's partially burned in pair this weekend, so no biggie, but I like seeing other people's results, since everyone has different, "ears."

-Ed

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #2,193 of 8,119
Quote:

I have a pair of IE8 on their way and I will be carefully testing someone else's partially burned in pair this weekend, so no biggie, but I like seeing other people's results, since everyone has different, "ears."

-Ed

Please tell us what you hear is different between the partially-burned in pair and the new pair side by side. How many hours will be on the burned-in ones when the new ones arrive?

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #2,194 of 8,119
It's really difficult for me to tell because of the international shipping situation, and when they hit the US, I am almost certainly going to have a delay as they pass through customs. I will try me best to compare from memory. I need to find out from David about how many hours burn-in his IE8s have on them.

You know, sometimes I wonder how much manufacturing variance there is from unit to unit with IEMs--but then again, I'm willing to bet that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

-Ed

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #2,195 of 8,119
Quote:

You know, sometimes I wonder how much manufacturing variance there is from unit to unit with IEMs--but then again, I'm willing to bet that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

-Ed

I have totally wondered about this factor too. But I would imagine that a manufacturer as large and experienced as Sennheiser would have less variation than others. I have often wondered if manufacturing variation and fit irregularities (the ear canal is a very complex shape after all- very difficult for an IEM manufacturer to account for all types) help account for those wildly different observations when tips and DAP's are the same. Sometimes the difference in impressions is astounding.

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #2,196 of 8,119
Oh, I absolutely believe it must. Every human being is different and that is already a huge factor...frankly, I respect any company that tries to tackle the variation in human bodies and perceptions.

-Ed

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #2,197 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have totally wondered about this factor too. But I would imagine that a manufacturer as large and experienced as Sennheiser would have less variation than others. I have often wondered if manufacturing variation and fit irregularities (the ear canal is a very complex shape after all- very difficult for an IEM manufacturer to account for all types) help account for those wildly different observations when tips and DAP's are the same. Sometimes the difference in impressions is astounding.

Absolutely false. Quality is pretty much left to the contract manufacturer unless Sennheiser puts in place their own manufacturing quality process, steps and quality test equipment. And have their on employee on site monitoring the manufacturing process. I've been there and as soon as we leave, they are back to their old ways of doing things.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #2,199 of 8,119
I believe NCIXUS shipped mine so fast to make up for all the trouble I have had, and it's hard to believe they un-canceled my original order Wednesday and I had them here by Thursday. That was some nice service there.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #2,200 of 8,119
Quote:

It's really difficult for me to tell because of the international shipping situation, and when they hit the US, I am almost certainly going to have a delay as they pass through customs. I will try me best to compare from memory. I need to find out from David about how many hours burn-in his IE8s have on them.

-Ed

Ed, my IE8's will have around 200 hours of burn-in time by the time you hear them. By the way, I did not send in my iPod yet so it is still of use plus I have some binaural recordings (thanks to Headphoneaddict) we can listen to. Fascinating.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #2,201 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe NCIXUS shipped mine so fast to make up for all the trouble I have had, and it's hard to believe they un-canceled my original order Wednesday and I had them here by Thursday. That was some nice service there.

It seems that they sold almost all IE8 at this incredible price of $222. I just went back to their website and clicked "check stock". All of their stock are almost gone. I remember seeing many of their warehouses has 10+ IE8 yesterday morning.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #2,203 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by joincoolkidclub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HPAddict, how long are you going to wait before you allow the IE8's to enter the fight for Ultimate IEM? (i.e.- when will you rank them?)

I know he could answer this himself, but because he's not online right now....

Quote:

I'll give the IE8 300 hours of burn-in and listen in once a day and report on my findings.

Quote:

Don't expect any real impressions till they are burned in. I'm gonna hook them up to a 2gb Nano and run it on repeat with music 24/7 for 10-14 days...

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #2,204 of 8,119
has anyone noticed the size difference between tips and trying to actually fit them on, im really struggling trying to fit any other tips on, the room I have in the tips are way too small, has any1 else felt this?

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #2,205 of 8,119
Curiosity got the best of me and with my Westone 3's sent back for repair, I want to try these out in the meantime.
wink.gif

Ordered from NCIXUS a couple minutes ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back