Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #1,216 of 8,119
Definately not weak bass - i get the best sound with the standard medium silicone tips. The bass is very powerful indeed and responsive to tuning. Only 20 or so hours on mine so far too.

One thing I was disappointed with is the design of the cable connector. It juts out at an angle which makes wearing these with a motorcycle helmet virtually impossible as they catch badly on the padding when putting the helmet on in over the ear wear and taking the helmet off with 'downward' wear. And whatever I do I can't stop them being prodded hard into my ears and misaligning. Admittedly this is a very specific and niche criticism, but I also have the IE6 and they stay put perfectly well and cause no problems wearing a helmet.

Looks like I'll have to keep both pairs. The IE8's are already substantially more impressive, however.

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #1,217 of 8,119
I'm happy for your happiness. I hope you enjoy both sets for a long time.

NOW BACK TO ME!! haha just kidding,

But, I really wish I knew what the problem was here.

I put the balance on winAmp to the left 14% and it sounds very close to what I think it should sound like.

Right now I'm using Shure olives. Large on the right, medium on the left. I had the same set up on the Klipsch X10 and had no problems.

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #1,218 of 8,119
Ahh, sorry Jajo!

It's very odd indeed. One would assume you either had a faulty pair or they just aren't ideal for your ears (unlikely with the dynamic drivers).

I suppose give it some time and see how they go.

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #1,219 of 8,119
Sennheiser IE8...Great IEMS

Purchased my pair a few weeks ago, and have really enjoyed the sound. Rich, Full...with an expansive Soundstage. Sound similar to my HD600s. Burned them in for approximately 75 hours.

With my preferred sound signature being more toward neutral, I keep the Bass Setting at the lowest.

Isolation is good, but not on the same level as the Shures or Etymotic. Once the music starts playing though, I can not hear the outside world.

The Sennheiser IE8's rank right up there with the best IEMS I have tried from Shure, Klipsch Ety.

YES!!! I highly recommend them...

They are very expensive for an IEM. Paid close to $400.00. I probably should have waited until a few pairs started showing up on the For Sale Section of the Forum...but when I get excited about a product, I simply want them now!

There is a new pair listed this morning for $289.00. Damn

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #1,221 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoP! /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's sold already.

Lol.

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #1,222 of 8,119
Guys, another issue.

I hear a hissing when there is no music playing.

It was worse in the beginning and it has slightly faded. It's still there, though

Ugh, maybe I'm looking too deep into things

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #1,223 of 8,119
Which source?

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #1,225 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jajo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hear a hissing when there is no music playing.

As moseboy suggested, that is likely due to the source. Maybe your previous IEM's did not reveal what was there?

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #1,226 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As moseboy suggested, that is likely due to the source. Maybe your previous IEM's did not reveal what was there?

That makes sense. I'll go with that! Thanks

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #1,227 of 8,119
I heard that the SE530 hisses more than the IE8, and I've never had hissing problems with my SE530.

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #1,228 of 8,119
Right, so a few initial impressions.

Right off bat the first thing I noticed was the mid-bass hump - it was quite overpowering and made everything seem very muddy. The next thing I noticed was the shrillness of the treble. Reminded me very much of the W3 treble which to my ears was very poor (with all but the triple-flange tips) and made high hats sound plasticky. The low bass was very powerful in quantity, but certainly not quality.

So, off to a bad start.

I've now got a lowly 20 hours of burn in and they are very different indeed. Mid-bass is still strong, but not overpowering. Low bass is starting to control itself as well. The best difference for me is the treble - very similar to my TF10s in terms of quality and texture, just a little quieter in relation to the rest of the sound presentation. High hats sound very good (though that does compare to my TF10s which I would describe as excellent). I'm excited to hear the IE8s after a few more days of burning in.

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #1,229 of 8,119
I have a Ipod Touch to a Cryoed LOD to a P-51 Mustang to my new IE8s. I have not used them much until now because i now have the complete set up. Is there a volume level that you use to burn everthing in and do you just keep playing the same song over or do you need to mix it up. I hear burning in makes the difference. I am happy with what i am hearing now ....... and i have only used the set up for a handful of hours and i heard with burning in it gets better.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #1,230 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by radiohead7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Ipod Touch to a Cryoed LOD to a P-51 Mustang to my new IE8s. I have not used them much until now because i now have the complete set up. Is there a volume level that you use to burn everthing in and do you just keep playing the same song over or do you need to mix it up. I hear burning in makes the difference. I am happy with what i am hearing now ....... and i have only used the set up for a handful of hours and i heard with burning in it gets better.

There is no real secret to it... it is entirely up to you, you can play pink / white noise up loud for a couple of hundred hours, or - you can just listen to your source, and let the 'change' occur naturally... No right or wrong answer
smily_headphones1.gif

Re volume... I can / have / do listen to my iPhone at maximum volume, and the IE8s keep going strong... as long as you don't go too trigger happy with the volume control, you will be fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back