Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #8,101 of 8,119
Yes, I understand where you are going with your other than foam recommendation but the semi hard tips I have in mind are foamy inside but hard on the surface, they are not porous at all. Thanks to this they don't have any detrimental effect on sound to my ears. Also even though IE8 is long out of production, the newer IE80 are essentially the same at least in terms of construction and had the same tips. That's why I was hoping I will be able to buy them somewhere...
I know of Complys and used them for BA based in ears in the past with good result but I also don't think gthey are a good fit for these Senns - I am willing to accept limited isolation.
Anyway thanks both of you guys for suggestions.

Jun 25, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #8,102 of 8,119
Yes, I understand where you are going with your other than foam recommendation but the semi hard tips I have in mind are foamy inside but hard on the surface, they are not porous at all. Thanks to this they don't have any detrimental effect on sound to my ears. Also even though IE8 is long out of production, the newer IE80 are essentially the same at least in terms of construction and had the same tips. That's why I was hoping I will be able to buy them somewhere...
I know of Complys and used them for BA based in ears in the past with good result but I also don't think gthey are a good fit for these Senns - I am willing to accept limited isolation.
Anyway thanks both of you guys for suggestions.
I too use Comply with BA IEMS but with the IE8s I prefer the Sony Hybrids. They look like a standard silicone ear tip but they have foam under the silicone.

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #8,103 of 8,119
Hello!!

i’m so sorry to revive a dead thread.But I’m only just returning to goodsound after years of not being involved — and I’m curious what those people who enjoyed with me the IE8 are using now.

any upgrade recommendations? Loved the warm, engaging, punchy bass, the spacious soundstage, the clarity up high. Any replies very welcomed!!

Jan 22, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #8,104 of 8,119
Hello!!

i’m so sorry to revive a dead thread.But I’m only just returning to goodsound after years of not being involved — and I’m curious what those people who enjoyed with me the IE8 are using now.

any upgrade recommendations? Loved the warm, engaging, punchy bass, the spacious soundstage, the clarity up high. Any replies very welcomed!!

What's your budget?
And are you looking for a similar sound signature?
Sticking with Sennheiser or not bothered?

My go to IEM's currently are the Meze Audio Rai Solo with the balanced cable, The Sennheiser IE800S and the iBasso IT01 ( Which I have on a FiiO balanced cable )
All of which improve on the IE8 sound. The Solos aren't as punchy in the bass as the others but they still deliver.

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #8,105 of 8,119
Hey Paul, thanks for the reply. The main things I loved about my IE8 were the warm, engaging, punchy bass, the spacious soundstage, the clarity up high. I'd want to at least stay with these elements. I'm not sure on budget yet, I've only started researching. I'm not bothered on sticking with a Senn though.

Right now I have my eye on the Moondrop Blessing 2, as a preliminary choice.

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #8,106 of 8,119
Hello!!

Logitech UE900S was my horse for the last two years, and curiosity got the better of me over a pair of Westone W40 gen.2 a few months ago, they both sound great. Now that someone recently revived this thread, I just grabbed my pair of IE80s, I haven't used them since I don't even remember when. I'm amazed how good they sound from a FiiO M9, though I crave a bit more treble.

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #8,107 of 8,119
Interesting!! How do those compare in each audio “department,” in your view (your hearing? lol)

i have been intrigued by some reviews of iBasso’s IEMs and Moondrops — any IE8 user upgraded to those?

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #8,108 of 8,119
Interesting!! How do those compare in each audio “department,” in your view (your hearing? lol)

i have been intrigued by some reviews of iBasso’s IEMs and Moondrops — any IE8 user upgraded to those?

The UE900s by far are my most favorite, they produce exceptionally balanced, lean sound, while the sound produced is somewhat analytic, it is never boring. Sound stage is wide and 3D like layered. Treble is well extended, sparkling silky smooth, very addictive. The bass performance is the best so far I ever heard from any pair of IEMs, not overpowering while it is ever present, and incredibly detailed, reaching well into the sub-bass region. The only pair of quad driver monitors I owned, in fact, the only pair of EIMs I ever owned, that does not color the sound by any mid-bass hump. The W40 from Westone is a special breed, another very addictive pair of toys, that seems to be difficult to pry out of one's ears. Their treble is extended and silky smooth as the UE900s, but the bass is far more prominent, audiophiles would probably find beef with that. Nevertheless, the bass produced is extremely detailed, just like the UE900s, but the overall sound is not as artfully balanced. A very enjoyable pair of gear regardless, and seen on sale below $300 what I paid for mine, I cannot recommend them strongly enough. And now the EI80, they will stay in my pocket for awhile. I used several inexpensive cable upgrades for it over the years, mainly to move over to the balanced end of the deal, and the results were satisfying. Years ago when it was my gear on the go, they were driven by an Onkyo Rubato DP-S1, which I destroyed since, and was replaced by a FiiO M9, less than a year ago. I also have the Onkyo DP-X1A, but that's a huge monster I don't feel like carrying around. FiiO struck the nail on the head with the sleek $250 player, and the high resolution lean sound it produces, pairs excellent with the IE80. Wish the treble would reach the same level as my quad BA's, but I guess that would be asking a lot form a single voice coil per ear piece. I don't have any experience with any of the latest iBasso gear, and lately music listening was taking the backseat. No experience with blue-tooth adapters either, the one that came with the W40 was never taken out of the box. I upgraded the W40 stock cable to this one:
https://www.lavricables.com/cables/reference-silver-logitech-ue800-ue900-upgrade-cable/

at lest that's the closest of their recent offering now, to the one they sent me. I don't hear any difference at all, I guess Westone's silver plated stock cable is already a decent quality. That would be all, which summarizes my latest audio experience on the portable end.

Jan 24, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #8,109 of 8,119
Hello!!

With better clarity and soundstage, the IE 40 Pro might be up your alley. However, the IE 8 had much more mid-bass emphasis. We also have the new IE 300, a consumer model not just meant for stage use, coming soon in Asia and then the rest of the world soon after.
Thanks for being a long time Sennheiser patron!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jan 26, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #8,110 of 8,119
I am going to do 3 IEM comparison that I am most familiar with: Sennheiser IE 80s, Westone W40, Ultimate Ears UE900s.

Each earphone have it's strength: IE 80s, Sound stage and bass extension. The large sound stage makes it sound more like a headphone than a in ear "monitor"
Westone W40, great all arounder, great seal and comfort. Warm and relaxed for a BA
UE900s, amazing mid, vocal comes out with emotions and layers. A much analytical IEM than IE80 and W40.

IE80s vs Westone W40. Both are warm sounding earphones:
IE80s being warmer due to the mid bass and sub bass and relaxed U shape. Definitely have that Sennheiser Smoothness to it. The Westone W40 shows more details in the mid and treble, but very little sub bass comes through.

I am very suprised how the tuning of both IE80s and W40 are similar, but Sennheiser being much more relaxed, headphone sounding while the W40 have more details and excitement. Depends on what you do with those earphones determines on what you should get. If you listen music in bed, trying to relax and go to sleep with it, get the IE80. But if you want more details and excitement and more on the active side, get the W40.

UE900s vs IE80s and W40: The UE900s sounds completely different from IE80s and the W40. The bass is lean flat, mids are the focus and the treble rounds off the mids by adding sparks. I am very sensitive to sibilance and none of those earphones have that problem despite the UE900s is mid and treble focused. When it comes to genre of music, if you listen to female vocals, definitely get the UE900s over the other two, but if you listen to pop and modern music, the lean flat bass will just not cut it with the UE900s even when it has two dedicated BAs for bass. Even with Comply and using a dragonfly black, the bass is just not enough for modern music, but I do agree the mids and the treble are some of the best I heard. Better than the W60 v2.

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #8,111 of 8,119
Hello!!

64audio A12t. It's an (major) uograde on anything I loved the IE8 for.

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #8,112 of 8,119
For IE8, IE80, IE80s people, why do people dislike the IE80s so much? Mediocre reviews while the IE80 was praised and well received. From reviewers, people are saying the IE80s is an improved version of the IE80 with a increase in high mids and a decrease in the mid bass while still having that amazing sound stage.

I owned all 3 sets, right now only the IE80s, from my memory the IE80's mid and vocal stands out much better, but I could be wrong since I don't have them side by side comparison.

So I don't understand all the dislike of the current IE80s. Anyone know the reasons?

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #8,113 of 8,119
For IE8, IE80, IE80s people, why do people dislike the IE80s so much? Mediocre reviews while the IE80 was praised and well received. From reviewers, people are saying the IE80s is an improved version of the IE80 with a increase in high mids and a decrease in the mid bass while still having that amazing sound stage.

I owned all 3 sets, right now only the IE80s, from my memory the IE80's mid and vocal stands out much better, but I could be wrong since I don't have them side by side comparison.

So I don't understand all the dislike of the current IE80s. Anyone know the reasons?

As I recall, a lot of poor ratings for the IE80s were due to quality issues. I can't imagine any drastic change in the voicing of the new gear as opposed to the ones it replaced, by a magnitude, causing the brand to fall from grace. Back in the days of the IE8/IE80, smartphones not yet dominated our lives, to the extent they do today. Most head-fi fans sported at least one iPod and some form of an amp to enhance the sound, while today's crowd rely on their phones as audio source. I wonder if that would be a factor of any significance? The last thing I need at this moment, yet another pair of IEM, but you guys keep this thread alive and it may just kindle my curiosity, to pull the trigger on a pair. I'm sure they sound great, from any decent DPA.

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #8,114 of 8,119
I am using both with the lighting to 3.5 and dragonfly black 1.5 with my iPhone using Amazon HD music 24bit/44.1. At 16 ohm I don’t think a powerful amp is needed and according to independent research on the lightning to 3.5 actually have a great dac inside. The ie80s still have that unique sound stage making them headphone sounding. Details and speed are obviously lacking compare to BAs

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #8,115 of 8,119
With better clarity and soundstage, the IE 40 Pro might be up your alley. However, the IE 8 had much more mid-bass emphasis. We also have the new IE 300, a consumer model not just meant for stage use, coming soon in Asia and then the rest of the world soon after.
Thanks for being a long time Sennheiser patron!
Oh hello. Interesting. Would the IE800 not boast a closer sound signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back