Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #8,061 of 8,119
I'm looking for the most relevant place to ask this, butI guess any regularly visited long IE8 thread will do.
Do people end up just ripping out the metal grille that covers the hole in these things? I did that to my IE7s and found they stayed cleaner, simply didn't have that grille bit to get wax on and block the sound.

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #8,062 of 8,119
I'm looking for the most relevant place to ask this, butI guess any regularly visited long IE8 thread will do.
Do people end up just ripping out the metal grille that covers the hole in these things? I did that to my IE7s and found they stayed cleaner, simply didn't have that grille bit to get wax on and block the sound.

The grille is there to stop wax getting where it cannot be cleaned.

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #8,063 of 8,119
So on a whim I ordered a pair of Sennheiser ie8i on Friday as they were reduced to £99 and i had a black Friday spending itch!
I love my Etymotic er4's but sometimes crave a bit more bass, but it needs to be well controlled.

Reading reviews suggest even though this has been around a while it perhaps is great value at the price. Having the adjustable bass port gives the ability to control it a bit and failing that the tape mod is an option (this worked wonders on my sony mdr1a).

Delivery arrived yesterday. Opened up the package to find inside a pair of Sony ex650's. Hmmm. I've been charged for the Senn's, so either wrong item picked or somebody who ordered £40 sonys has £99 Senns.

When I ordered it was the last pair in stock, so if the latter happened then the supplier might not be able to send out another pair.

So, my questions.
Are the Senns good value at that price or have they been surpassed (for £99) in the last few years?

If they don't have anymore ie8's then any suggestions? The supplier has ie80s but are they worth £70 more?

Is it worth trying the Sony's, which the supplier might not be happy about or are the Senn's in a different league.

Don't really have much experience with iems as have been so happy with etys.

Will be using with my Colorfly C4.

Btw also ordered the massdrop Fostex's, which seemed to good to miss, so feeling that if the Senn's are not a bargain then perhaps to leave new iems for another time.

Thanks.
Bd

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #8,064 of 8,119
So on a whim I ordered a pair of Sennheiser ie8i on Friday as they were reduced to £99 and i had a black Friday spending itch!
I love my Etymotic er4's but sometimes crave a bit more bass, but it needs to be well controlled.

Reading reviews suggest even though this has been around a while it perhaps is great value at the price. Having the adjustable bass port gives the ability to control it a bit and failing that the tape mod is an option (this worked wonders on my sony mdr1a).

Delivery arrived yesterday. Opened up the package to find inside a pair of Sony ex650's. Hmmm. I've been charged for the Senn's, so either wrong item picked or somebody who ordered £40 sonys has £99 Senns.

When I ordered it was the last pair in stock, so if the latter happened then the supplier might not be able to send out another pair.

So, my questions.
Are the Senns good value at that price or have they been surpassed (for £99) in the last few years?

If they don't have anymore ie8's then any suggestions? The supplier has ie80s but are they worth £70 more?

Is it worth trying the Sony's, which the supplier might not be happy about or are the Senn's in a different league.

Don't really have much experience with iems as have been so happy with etys.

Will be using with my Colorfly C4.

Btw also ordered the massdrop Fostex's, which seemed to good to miss, so feeling that if the Senn's are not a bargain then perhaps to leave new iems for another time.

Thanks.
Bd

IMHO the IE8 and I assume the IE80, is a very flawed IEM. I did not realise this fully until I heard a phone that was not. Admittedly this was a CIEM costing considerably more.
Personally I would look elsewhere. I think that the Sennheisers deserve to be consigned to audio history.
I am sure there are many who will disagree.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #8,065 of 8,119
Thanks Kris. I'd be interested to hear what particularly about it is flawed, as I suppose at this budget everything is flawed in one way or another. I'm actually quite forgiving of imperfections as long as there are enough strong points to make the compromise acceptable.
Take the AKG K702 for example, i find this headphone sounds really unnatural at times, but I'm prepared to live with that as it has such a great level of detail that is as good as it gets for my budget.

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #8,066 of 8,119
Thanks Kris. I'd be interested to hear what particularly about it is flawed, as I suppose at this budget everything is flawed in one way or another. I'm actually quite forgiving of imperfections as long as there are enough strong points to make the compromise acceptable.
Take the AKG K702 for example, i find this headphone sounds really unnatural at times, but I'm prepared to live with that as it has such a great level of detail that is as good as it gets for my budget.

In that case you may enjoy the undoubted strengths of the 8 and forgive its limitations. Rather than take my view seriously maybe do a search on here and read what others have said.
Myself I have fallen in and out with the 8 many times.
For me, it's strengths are its natural sounding bass and spacious soundstage.
It's weakness is mainly the fact that it has a mid bass boost at 100Hz which bleeds over into the other frequencies giving (IMO) poor separation and a very dark sound.
The deal breaker for me is that to me, the mids lack life and presence.
The 100Hz is easy to EQ out but IME nothing can restore the life and excitement to the midrange.
I did not like the effect of the tape mod. HTH!

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #8,067 of 8,119
Thanks Kris,
I think i'll give them a try, i spoke to the supplier today and they are expecting more in on monday.
I'll know fairly quickly if I can forgive their faults and if not they'll go back. Nothing to lose other than return postage.

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #8,068 of 8,119
Thanks Kris,
I think i'll give them a try, i spoke to the supplier today and they are expecting more in on monday.
I'll know fairly quickly if I can forgive their faults and if not they'll go back. Nothing to lose other than return postage.

Cool. Nothing like hearing for yourself. :) Let us know what you think.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #8,069 of 8,119
I too purchased the ie8i with the £99 deal, and now I'm really liking them after the tape mod, some sub-bass boost, and the Sony tips. 

however after my sony mh1c died on me minutes after having put the tape on the top vent, I was wondering how dangerous the tape mod is on the IE8's, since I dont mind much about the sonys but I would mind a lot about the IE8i.

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #8,070 of 8,119
Ended up canceling my order as the supplier is not going to have stock until late January at the earliest. Will have a rethink in the new year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back