Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Oct 2, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #7,441 of 8,119
^ I went through a similar situation to yours. I don't get how/why people recommend the Sony Hybrids for IE-8's, their inner diameter is WAY too small to fit the IE-8 ear tubes. Single flange UE's tips work much better for me. They sit deeper than the IE-8 double flanges.

I have (5) pair UE Large size for sale: http://www.head-fi.org/t/571992/eartips-ultimate-ears-large-want-medium

They measure 1/2" diameter at the widest part of the flange. Let me know if you are interested.

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #7,443 of 8,119
^ Take a look at the Sony's and tell me how anyone can possible s-t-r-e-t-c-h them to fit over the IE-8 nozzles without breaking them? And I have heard of that happening BTW. Be careful!!

Plus IF you get 'em on I think they'll cover the tip of the nozzle and block some output.

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #7,446 of 8,119
So i've had these now for a few weeks and I love them ... BUT ... I dont think i have a good seal because right now they are anything but "bass monsters". Granted, my experience with IEMs has been on the bass heavy side (image s4, image X10, tried W3, MTPC, SE535), so maybe I'm just used to lots of bass, but to me the IE8s have less bass than any of the ones I listed (probably on par with 535/mtpc but nowhere near the X10/W3/S4) ... They sound great even still, but I was listening to some electronic music and found they *really* lacked bass and impact, so i tried to "tune" them for more bass ... no difference. The other IEMs I've used indicate a good seal because without a good seal the whole sound just falls apart, with these, they basically sound great just much less bass than expected.

Is it possible I'm having fit issues? I think I have really wide ear canals because I'm using the stock large black bi-flange and I def do not get that same kind of seal compared any of the other deep insertion IEMs. Would other tips be a smart move? None of the supplied tips come close to sealing besides the ones I mentioned. Not interested in complys just because I dont want to sacrifice any high end detail or soundstage. I just want to hear the famous IE8 bass!!!

You could always mod your tips. Try placing a large single flange tip over that large double flange tip and I bet that will give you a good seal.

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #7,447 of 8,119
argh!! sounds like i f-ed this one up. i def dont want to impinge on the treble or soundstage.

Quote:
Try placing a large single flange tip over that large double flange tip and I bet that will give you a good seal.

Have you tried this? By "placing" do you mean gluing or something?

In general do the UE tips leave the soundstage and treble alone?

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #7,448 of 8,119
argh!! sounds like i f-ed this one up. i def dont want to impinge on the treble or soundstage.

Have you tried this? By "placing" do you mean gluing or something?

In general do the UE tips leave the soundstage and treble alone?

No you dont use glue, you just place the large single flange over the double flange forcing part of the single flange into the double flanges opening allowing them to become one. This does not affect the soundstage or the sound in a negative way. If anything you'll get more detail, more controlled bass as the driver sits farther from your ear canals this way.

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #7,449 of 8,119
I love my new IE8i, save for the shallow insertion. I suppose I'll get used to it unless they start to randomly fall-out. I am not digging this "i" cable at all, although it functions well with the IP4. 

Edit: Just tried the supplied double-flange and they're perfect.

Any suggestions for a custom cable? TWag?

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #7,450 of 8,119
I love my new IE8i, save for the shallow insertion. I suppose I'll get used to it unless they start to randomly fall-out. I am not digging this "i" cable at all, although it functions well with the IP4. 

Edit: Just tried the supplied double-flange and they're perfect.

Any suggestions for a custom cable? TWag?

Get the cable I got from Zeroshoe on ebay. His cable is an actual silver cable and not silver plated not so sure about twag (from looking at the price I sure hope it is not just silver plated). Plus the price you pay is cheaper than you'd normally pay for a pure silver cable they generally go for over $200.00 else where and I don't think they are offered for IE8s usually. Zeroshoe has them for $120.00 (hes a Chinese seller thus the lower cost). You can make an offer like I did so I got them for $115.00 plus the shipping so it came out to $120.00 instead of $120.00 plus shipping. Well worth the money in my opinion. I actually prefer my IE8s to the much hyped Sony EX1000s and even the FX700 (but they are still very good, not the Sonys though IMO). The cable is "Silver Galaxy Cable" :cool:

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #7,451 of 8,119
Get the cable I got from Zeroshoe on ebay. His cable is an actual silver cable and not silver plated not so sure about twag (from looking at the price I sure hope it is not just silver plated). Plus the price you pay is cheaper than you'd normally pay for a pure silver cable they generally go for over $200.00 else where and I don't think they are offered for IE8s usually. Zeroshoe has them for $120.00 (hes a Chinese seller thus the lower cost). You can make an offer like I did so I got them for $115.00 plus the shipping so it came out to $120.00 instead of $120.00 plus shipping. Well worth the money in my opinion. I actually prefer my IE8s to the much hyped Sony EX1000s and even the FX700 (but they are still very good, not the Sonys though IMO). The cable is "Silver Galaxy Cable" :cool:

They've both got their strengths and weaknesses, but the EX1000 is ANYTHING but hype IMO, especially considering it's still not as expensive as a few other top tiers, which have been around for much longer than the EX1000, and have yet to experience a similar price drop. At it's current price, it's comparatively very reasonably priced, and in more ways than not, amongt the most technically proficient universal currently available. I haven't heard the IE8 with any aftermarket cable, but as far as the stock cable is concerned, the IE8's mid bass bloat puts it behind the EX1000 by a fair margin IMHO, technically speaking that is. Though I'm sure the aftermarket cables have their advantages. To each his own of course. :)

P.S. I owned the IE8 for nearly 2 years time, and even till today, it's never short of recommendation on my end. However, the EX1000 remains the most technically proficient universal I've owned to date, and I'll be the first to admit if and when I do encounter a universal that rivals or even exceeds the EX1000 in that regard.

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #7,452 of 8,119
... but as far as the stock cable is concerned, the IE8's mid bass bloat puts it behind the EX1000 by a fair margin IMHO, technically speaking that is.

Heck, the bass bloat and confused treble of the IE8 puts it a fair bit behind the much more modestly priced GR07, for that matter.

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #7,453 of 8,119
I'd have to agree. GR07 > IE8 10 out of 10 times, for me personally that is, but only because I grew out of the IE8's bass heavy presentation long ago. Being that this IS the IE8 appreciation thread, I still do appreciate the IE8 for all it's worth; just not for me personally. Nevertheless, if there's any two in-ears I wish to hear through aftermarket cables, it's the IE8 and TF10.

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #7,454 of 8,119
I'd have to agree. GR07 > IE8 10 out of 10 times, for me personally that is, but only because I grew out of the IE8's bass heavy presentation long ago. Being that this IS the IE8 appreciation thread, I still do appreciate the IE8 for all it's worth; just not for me personally. Nevertheless, if there's any two in-ears I wish to hear through aftermarket cables, it's the IE8 and TF10.

That's why EQ is the IE8s best friend. Without EQ they are pretty horrible though. Nothing needs to be added though via EQ with the cable so no induced distortion. The mid bass and bass I EQ down by -8and -7. The bass is very much controlled with those settings on my Hifiman 601/UHA4. If the IE80 could eliminate the need for EQ that be amazing.

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #7,455 of 8,119

Quote:
Lol so you left the IE8 camp? I EQ them
down about -8 to -9 for bass and -9 for midbass so that applies to 60 and 300 HTZ respectively. What did you get to replace them? I didn't find the sonys satisfactory and sold them off. Just purchased a pair of FX700s, hoping they will be an upgrade and not a downgrade. Such extreme eq is all thanks to the Sonys lol. They got me use to controlled an non bloated bass.

Yup, although part of me regrets my decision to sell them off!
The GR07's took the place of my IE8's, as they were most similar in comfort and soundstage (IE8 was still better at both, but overall I found the 07's could sing my tunes to my liking). Although, the more I use them, I am finding that the R07's do have their technical limitations; or atleast they sound like they do..
Anyway, Sound Signature aside, I feel that the IE8's are overall a superior product to the GR07's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back