Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #7,426 of 8,119

Is it up there with your Sony now? So I'm guessing your silver plated cable has less treble than your stock cable? Wow my silver cable (it is silver cable BTW I confirmed it with the owner; the seller who claimed it to be silver plated worded the add wrong and the owner made him change it to silver cable, not silver plated). That is one reason to buy from China because the prices are generally cheaper and you can still get quality products depending on where you buy.
Quote:
You were right.  The sibilance has disappeared completely.  This cable makes the stock ones sound treble happy now.  The bass has calmed down quite a bit with the new cable.  I don't sense the mid bass hump.  Sounds really balanced.  I used the ZO to test my hearing.  With the stock cable, I have to have the ZO set all the way down and there's still plenty of bass.  With the custom cable, I can turn to ZO up a couple of notches to get the bass I like and it doesn't sound boomy.  Really good investment to improve the sound quality of the IE8.  

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #7,427 of 8,119

Quote:
Is it up there with your Sony now? So I'm guessing your silver plated cable has less treble than your stock cable? Wow my silver cable (it is silver cable BTW I confirmed it with the owner; the seller who claimed it to be silver plated worded the add wrong and the owner made him change it to silver cable, not silver plated). That is one reason to buy from China because the prices are generally cheaper and you can still get quality products depending on where you buy.

I still think the Sony's bass is better.  It has better quality to my ears.  The custom cable as far as I can tell has less treble or seems less sibilant.  I bought mine from a guy in Canada, it was a pretty good experience overall.  

Sep 26, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #7,428 of 8,119
I still think the Sony's bass is better.  It has better quality to my ears.  The custom cable as far as I can tell has less treble or seems less sibilant.  I bought mine from a guy in Canada, it was a pretty good experience overall.  

I have to agree with you on the Sonys bass. It extends deeper and is more controlled with texture. It still wasn't enough to justify the EX1000s faults though. They also lacked enough bass quantity IMO but you say the ZO fixes that. With my cable I'd have to say the sonys still have more prominent treble but it's not night and day. It's actually more so because the IE8 treble is smoother but it's very much so there and even more apparent when switching back between stock cable.

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #7,429 of 8,119
Try this out guys. I've found it to work wonders with the Silver IE8s. I've turned the bass knob all the way up. Then I EQ down the mid bass and bass some more. Seems to open them up even more. More re-verb and I must say my IE8s are quite mid centric now. Really loving this sound. Its actually reminding me of the EX1000s now but without the fatigue.

Sep 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #7,430 of 8,119

Quote:
Try this out guys. I've found it to work wonders with the Silver IE8s. I've turned the bass knob all the way up. Then I EQ down the mid bass and bass some more. Seems to open them up even more. More re-verb and I must say my IE8s are quite mid centric now. Really loving this sound. Its actually reminding me of the EX1000s now but without the fatigue.

how much did you eq? missing the ie8's already :frowning2:

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #7,431 of 8,119

Quote:
I have to agree with you on the Sonys bass. It extends deeper and is more controlled with texture. It still wasn't enough to justify the EX1000s faults though. They also lacked enough bass quantity IMO but you say the ZO fixes that. With my cable I'd have to say the sonys still have more prominent treble but it's not night and day. It's actually more so because the IE8 treble is smoother but it's very much so there and even more apparent when switching back between stock cable.

The ZO is amazing.  I actually don't care for the Sony's as much w/o the ZO.  The bass is just perfect when using the ZO.  It works well with some of my other iem's.  I hoping they work well with the Miracle and Merlin's too.  With the custom cable, it works quite well with the IE8 as well.  

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #7,432 of 8,119

Quote:

This sounds really interesting.  I will give it a try and report back.  

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #7,433 of 8,119

Quote:

Nice recommendation.  Been tweaking with my eq and I think I found the sweet spot.  I don't think I'm going back to minimal bass knob.  This sounds quite amazing.  Loving the bass, mids and the smooth treble.  I'll have to say I'm really liking the bass this way also.  It has more oomph than the EX1000 but with this cable has better control so I can definitely enjoy it.  Good work lee730!!

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #7,434 of 8,119
Nice recommendation.  Been tweaking with my eq and I think I found the sweet spot.  I don't think I'm going back to minimal bass knob.  This sounds quite amazing.  Loving the bass, mids and the smooth treble.  I'll have to say I'm really liking the bass this way also.  It has more oomph than the EX1000 but with this cable has better control so I can definitely enjoy it.  Good work lee730!!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the tweak as well. I think that cable you have is probably similar to my last cable upgrade (red angel). I think that cable was a mix of copper and silver plated copper wire. With that cable I noticed how the vocals were placed ahead of everything else. In my opinion that is how music is suppose to be. The base leads but does not overpower all the other instruments while the other instruments follow the bass's lead. Even the
Mod I've done to my Denon 5000s has made them really amazing.:)

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #7,435 of 8,119
how much did you eq? missing the ie8's already :frowning2:

Lol so you left the IE8 camp? I EQ them
down about -8 to -9 for bass and -9 for midbass so that applies to 60 and 300 HTZ respectively. What did you get to replace them? I didn't find the sonys satisfactory and sold them off. Just purchased a pair of FX700s, hoping they will be an upgrade and not a downgrade. Such extreme eq is all thanks to the Sonys lol. They got me use to controlled an non bloated bass.

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #7,436 of 8,119
Had to post again lol. Man there is quite a bit more air with this setting. Things are better separated and more distinct (everything is better placed within the sound stage.) The sound stage also appears to have widened. Vocals have a sort of echo to them as well (you hear them breathing lol).

Oct 2, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #7,437 of 8,119
So i've had these now for a few weeks and I love them ... BUT ... I dont think i have a good seal because right now they are anything but "bass monsters". Granted, my experience with IEMs has been on the bass heavy side (image s4, image X10, tried W3, MTPC, SE535), so maybe I'm just used to lots of bass, but to me the IE8s have less bass than any of the ones I listed (probably on par with 535/mtpc but nowhere near the X10/W3/S4) ... They sound great even still, but I was listening to some electronic music and found they *really* lacked bass and impact, so i tried to "tune" them for more bass ... no difference. The other IEMs I've used indicate a good seal because without a good seal the whole sound just falls apart, with these, they basically sound great just much less bass than expected.

Is it possible I'm having fit issues? I think I have really wide ear canals because I'm using the stock large black bi-flange and I def do not get that same kind of seal compared any of the other deep insertion IEMs. Would other tips be a smart move? None of the supplied tips come close to sealing besides the ones I mentioned. Not interested in complys just because I dont want to sacrifice any high end detail or soundstage. I just want to hear the famous IE8 bass!!!

Oct 2, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #7,438 of 8,119
my ie8 definitely have a ton more bass than the mtpc, so most probably you're having a bad seal. I find that getting a good seal with ie8 is hard, took me quite a while to find a tip that seals well but still not a perfect seal. 

Oct 2, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #7,439 of 8,119
Quote:
So i've had these now for a few weeks and I love them ... BUT ... I dont think i have a good seal because right now they are anything but "bass monsters". Granted, my experience with IEMs has been on the bass heavy side (image s4, image X10, tried W3, MTPC, SE535), so maybe I'm just used to lots of bass, but to me the IE8s have less bass than any of the ones I listed (probably on par with 535/mtpc but nowhere near the X10/W3/S4) ... They sound great even still, but I was listening to some electronic music and found they *really* lacked bass and impact, so i tried to "tune" them for more bass ... no difference. The other IEMs I've used indicate a good seal because without a good seal the whole sound just falls apart, with these, they basically sound great just much less bass than expected.

Is it possible I'm having fit issues? I think I have really wide ear canals because I'm using the stock large black bi-flange and I def do not get that same kind of seal compared any of the other deep insertion IEMs. Would other tips be a smart move? None of the supplied tips come close to sealing besides the ones I mentioned. Not interested in complys just because I dont want to sacrifice any high end detail or soundstage. I just want to hear the famous IE8 bass!!!

Yup, sounds like a seal issue. I had the x10s and the amount of bass on the x10 doesn't even come close to the ie8. They are a little tricky, you could try wearing them straight down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back