Sennheiser IE7 Appreciation Thread ~~~
Jul 18, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #796 of 817
Quote:
Just ordered some T500 tips for my IE7's

Wonder what they will do for me....

I have had them for a few days now. Recieved from a registered dealer via ebay, via canada. They came really quickly as well

http://myworld.ebay.ie/marcopoloca

Opinion:

*Quite stiff to put on the nozzles. Not impossible, But thats not a bad thing for the IE7's. They are robust and well built and ensures the tips stay put.
*Foam is quite open and a little "tacky" feeling. I use IE plugs often for noise defending and the modern ear plugs are smoother/ dencer and a lot more compresable. This is not a criticism btw, its just an observation.
*Rolling up the tips, one really has to pull the ears back. The instruction on the box is a good one, that is, compress them and PLACE them in the ear, rather than pushing them. This way they will expand properly.
*My first attempt at putting them in i did not do as above and pushed the tips in hard. Thus they had no room to expand and muffled the sound.
*Packaging/Procut is good. These are well made and of solid build.
*You have to give them a little bit of time to bed into the ear before judging. On the first moment, they are still compressed, let them open up properly for a minute or two first.
*They fit well (i have the large set) they fit securely, but no so that they are difficult to remove. If you don't jam them in, they don't put too much pressure on your ear.
*Isolation is epic. As good as can be (Although the IE7 isn't in itself a fully sealed Phone)
*SQ- 

A few words on SQ. First off i (like others) wondered where the treble had gone. After fitting them properly, I got it back :) 

After consideration, the Sq isn't so much changed by these tips, but the way the sound and phone interact with you really does.
The phone becomes (effectively) mechanically coupled to your head/ear canal. This make the bass a more physical affair. Not only do you hear it, but you "feel" it. The bass isn't increased. Its just put manners on. the tips really do help the phone be authorative over the bass. An example of this is the detail (attack?) one hears on drums. I no longer hear just the note, but can hear the note being made. Kinda wierd, you can hear the texture of the drums.
On the treble, again, the tips really help to put manners on the treble. I think what happens is that the tips dampen down the  reflections and harmonics bouncing around all of the hard suffaces of the normal tips. Treble is very clean, very detailed, very precise. If you have a bright IEM, they may just calm them down a little.
The Isolation affect the sound as well. You can really turn down the output with these tips. This had the added bonus of reducing the ambient noise floor drastically and perversely, lifting up all of the treble detail normally lost using the stock iems, so whilst you may notice the tips shading the treble a little, you will notice that you can notice far more detail and finesse.
In summary, they DRASTICALLY change the IEM imho and for the better, but in a complex and not so obvious way

*Cons:
They can be a PITA if you need to taking them in and out all of the time.

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #797 of 817
Thanks for the information about the tips. I found one thing out REALLY, REALLY fast. I had the medium tips in and they sounded HORRIBLE tinny.
I thought I had fakes since it sounded SO bad. The Astrotecs mopped the floor up with them. I then switched up to the larger tips and WOW what a 
difference. While the AM-800 STILL sounds darn good for $49.99 they cost shipped. The IE7's came alive... There is bass and the highs came in fuller, wow there are mids there now. 
I heard much greater separation and while I wish the mids were cleaner, the mids are there vs. the barely there of the AM-800s in comparison.
I have more critical listening to do because while this may sound funny, while the AM-800s do not have the fullness, they separate very well and catch
every nuance of the the vocals, keyboards, and drums. The IE7's , to me at least, mids do not separate as clearly or cleanly with the bass as I would like, but then again
I am keep price in mind at all times. The tips DO make a super large difference, as I thought I had tinny pieces of crap before I had the correct ones on.
I may get the the Comply T-500 tips for $14.95 a box off Amazon. I think they may make a BIG difference as I found JUST from switching from medium to large standard ones.
Also PLEASE keep in mind I have really never owned IEMS other than cheap little buds etc. So my thoughts are always compared against the big boys
so I have no idea what's fair and NOT fair.

As to the close up pictures, here you go. They were taken with a Nikon D3100 with an 18mm-55mm lens so I did the best I could. I should also note you can see faint red
connector in the one wire as it splits in the first divider on the one picture I posted and you can also the faint Sennheiser S on the sliding wire divider too.
Pics of the headset without the tips on as requested.I hope these are good enough. If not just ask for more and with more detail and I'll do my best! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #798 of 817
i gave them a whirl as well and concur, if they're fakes, they're damn good ones! they sound like the real thing before they were broken in. i'm letting them warm up for a few days and will then report with listening notes.

visually, the texture of the plastic and some details around the logo ARE different from the real ones. cable feels about the same, however. unlike the pair of fakes i also own.

for now here are quick side by side pics of the real thing, fakes and the ones from eBay. 

REAL

FAKE

FROM EBAY

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #799 of 817
In the end I guess it will come down to does one feel the got at the very least $37 or a little more worth of sound...
Let us know what you think as you burn them in... If these do indeed end up being real I will end up spending a bit
more for my next set. Its not that I do not like them. I am use to a whole lot different sound. Beggars can not be choosers at this price...

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #801 of 817
If you purchased a IE7 off ebay with original accessories and original carry case box. One thing that is a dead giveaway to being a fake is whether or not the washer inside the carry case at the end is magnetized. If not, then you have a fake. This applies to the IE6/60/IE8/80 as well.

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #802 of 817
I've owned these IEMs for about a year and have struggled with finding the best comfortable tips. Any input?

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #806 of 817
I got my IE7's, "opened but unused", on eBay from a seller with a good rep, but I'm thinking they are fakes because the plug is silver not gold, as well as the price, $100. Other than the plug, they look just like the real ones pictured above, and the driver grills don't look rough. Surface reflections are diffuse. There are no L/R symbols, just the gray 'S' logo, but I don't see L/R symbols in any of the photos, either.
They sound good to me, but I'm no audiophile, yet. Maybe they'd sound better if I didn't suspect they are fake.
Comments?

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #808 of 817
the plug is meant to be silver.

listen to them, do they sound like they have a huge soundstage?

OK, it looks gold to me on my iPad3 screen.

No, I'm afraid none of my IEMs or headphones seem to have a soundstage wider than my ears.

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #809 of 817
best bet would be post up good quality pics.

however bare in mind the real ones need a giant burn in.  when i got mine, just after they were launched, i was soooooooooo dissapainted with them when they came.  i thought they were rubbish.  now though id say they are still one my all time favourites.

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #810 of 817
best bet would be post up good quality pics.

however bare in mind the real ones need a giant burn in.  when i got mine, just after they were launched, i was soooooooooo dissapainted with them when they came.  i thought they were rubbish.  now though id say they are still one my all time favourites.

As I said, my iE7’s look just like the "real" photos above, except for the colour of the plug.
I gave them about 20 hours of burn-in when I got them, plus about 10 hours of listening since. I think they sound better than my Etymotic HF2's, so I'm content with that, for about the same price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back