Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Aug 10, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #4,969 of 6,504
How to mod the hd800S back to the original hd800 if we don't like the S version?

boost the 6khz position 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #4,971 of 6,504
Why would you buy the 800S if you don't like the way is sounds?  The original 800 is selling new for $700 less than the 800S....does not make much sense to me....I really like how the 800S sounds with my Oppo HA-1 DAC/ Amp...plenty of power...if you want more bass (like I do sometimes)  I boost 20Hz 4 db with a parametric Equalizer ....this EQ delivers plenty of bass to my ears anywho.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #4,973 of 6,504
How to mod the hd800S back to the original hd800 if we don't like the S version?

Remove the damper inside of the HD 800 S? 

However the HD 800 S also has added some 2nd harmonic distortion in the sub region to compensate for missing sub bass. So the HD 800 S might sound more bass heavier still.

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #4,975 of 6,504
Guys, to those who had both the 800 and 800S (or heard both), am I accurate in thinking that the major difference is mostly a less bright/smoother highs sound, along with a bit more bass?

I've been looking at the 800 for quite some time and the price seems more reasonable now (1K EUR). The 800S are costing 1.5K EUR, which is a very considerable difference.

I haven't had a chance to find a place where I can listen to both (btw if anyone can recommend shops in the Netherlands, that would be nice) but suspect that I might not care much about the sonic difference or might actually prefer the 800 since I seem to like brighter headphones (sometimes models that other people would consider sibilant/harsh like the CD3K). It would make sense to perhaps put the 500 EUR diference into a DAC/AMP (or just save it).

Something worrying me about the 800 is the reports of paint flaking. I'm quite careful with my headphones but I'd like to keep it 10+ years and to look as good as possible. Something I learned with the CD3K is that if cans sound great but start dissolving with time, you'll have a problem. :)

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #4,976 of 6,504
  Guys, to those who had both the 800 and 800S (or heard both), am I accurate in thinking that the major difference is mostly a less bright/smoother highs sound, along with a bit more bass?

I've been looking at the 800 for quite some time and the price seems more reasonable now (1K EUR). The 800S are costing 1.5K EUR, which is a very considerable difference.

I haven't had a chance to find a place where I can listen to both (btw if anyone can recommend shops in the Netherlands, that would be nice) but suspect that I might not care much about the sonic difference or might actually prefer the 800 since I seem to like brighter headphones (sometimes models that other people would consider sibilant/harsh like the CD3K). It would make sense to perhaps put the 500 EUR diference into a DAC/AMP (or just save it).

Something worrying me about the 800 is the reports of paint flaking. I'm quite careful with my headphones but I'd like to keep it 10+ years and to look as good as possible. Something I learned with the CD3K is that if cans sound great but start dissolving with time, you'll have a problem. :)

The difference in the S version is also an overall more natural tone which i personally prefer. If you pair the HD800 well however, i don't see why you wouldn't like it.

I had the HD800 for a few years and the paint never came off. Just don't drop them or leave them lying around without cover. I had mine in it's box on my desk whenever it wasn't in use.

What's your taste in music like? The HD800 is maybe the best headphone ever for classical and jazz, but i don't see it ever being optimal for rock and hiphop aswell.

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #4,977 of 6,504
  The difference in the S version is also an overall more natural tone which i personally prefer. If you pair the HD800 well however, i don't see why you wouldn't like it.

I had the HD800 for a few years and the paint never came off. Just don't drop them or leave them lying around without cover. I had mine in it's box on my desk whenever it wasn't in use.

What's your taste in music like? The HD800 is maybe the best headphone ever for classical and jazz, but i don't see it ever being optimal for rock and hiphop aswell.

I see, I will try to listen to both but it will probably be hard to justify the 500 EUR difference.
I'm usually careful with headphones, so if they won't start losing paint easily, that might not be a problem. I don't tend to store them in the box, but I have a holder on my desk and hang headphones there. They rub a bit against each other but nothing that would justify damage unless the paint is really low quality.

Regarding music, I hear mostly classical/opera and rock/pop. I might use them for gaming too, as soundstage and a "holographic" sound might help with the immersion a lot (currently using the HD598 for that).

My sources are very modest however. I'm using an old Meier Audio Corda Move DAC/AMP, which I connect to either my desktop or phone.
Will probably get the Samsung Note 7 soon, which will have either the Wolfson/Cirrus chipset or Qualcomm Aqstic, but I'm not sure any of these two will be able to drive 300 Ohms decently.

It would probably make more sense to use the 500 EUR difference between 800<>800S to get a better source.

Aug 15, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #4,978 of 6,504

I see, I will try to listen to both but it will probably be hard to justify the 500 EUR difference.
I'm usually careful with headphones, so if they won't start losing paint easily, that might not be a problem. I don't tend to store them in the box, but I have a holder on my desk and hang headphones there. They rub a bit against each other but nothing that would justify damage unless the paint is really low quality.

Regarding music, I hear mostly classical/opera and rock/pop. I might use them for gaming too, as soundstage and a "holographic" sound might help with the immersion a lot (currently using the HD598 for that).

My sources are very modest however. I'm using an old Meier Audio Corda Move DAC/AMP, which I connect to either my desktop or phone.
Will probably get the Samsung Note 7 soon, which will have either the Wolfson/Cirrus chipset or Qualcomm Aqstic, but I'm not sure any of these two will be able to drive 300 Ohms decently.

It would probably make more sense to use the 500 EUR difference between 800<>800S to get a better source.

You can sell the balanced cable that comes with it for 200 euro, but the HD800 is still the better deal i guess.

Yeah it should not be a problem. Just make sure it doesn't scratch against anything.

I found them a little bright and thin in rock when the music peaks with growling guitars and bright cymbals. They change a lot with the amp they're connected to however, and can be EQ'ed if you'd like your rock a bit warmer sounding. I'd say it depends on your taste and the songs you listen to, as it's not a problem for everybody.

When gaming, regardless of what people assume that haven't tried them, i found them to have an unnatural sound stage as it's more oval left and right than it is front and back. It's great for everything but first person shooters where you need to be able to pin point his exact position, as everything seemed to sound a bit more distant to the sides than it actually was. It definitely took some getting used to for me, when switching from normal headphones. I prefer an open but round sound stage for those games, but don't get me wrong, it's still sounds amazing, it's just not as PRECISE as it could be.

Again, YMMV as you could be connecting it to other amps, and dac's, that may include some software 3d effects to improve precision within the sound stage.

Aug 16, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #4,980 of 6,504
  You can sell the balanced cable that comes with it for 200 euro, but the HD800 is still the better deal i guess.

Interesting. I was unaware that the balanced cable was costing 299 EUR. Since I don't need it, recovering 200 would make the price difference between HD800 and HD800S becomes about 100 EUR (1299 vs 1599-200) which is not relevant in this range.
I have placed an ad on the sales forum on this. I'm not sure they would sell easily, so it is better to determine that first.

It would make sense to get the HD800S then as it is seen as the flagship. I do prefer the black color too.

But curiously, from what I read, the descriptions about the sound make me think I'd prefer the original 800 to the 800S. People talk a lot about too much brightness/sharp treble with the 800, and a darker sound on the 800S, with a bit smaller soundstage.
I do like bright sound and put a lot of emphasis on soundstage, so the 800 seem better on paper. Impossible to know without comparing A/B however.

I found them a little bright and thin in rock when the music peaks with growling guitars and bright cymbals. They change a lot with the amp they're connected to however, and can be EQ'ed if you'd like your rock a bit warmer sounding. I'd say it depends on your taste and the songs you listen to, as it's not a problem for everybody.

When gaming, regardless of what people assume that haven't tried them, i found them to have an unnatural sound stage as it's more oval left and right than it is front and back. It's great for everything but first person shooters where you need to be able to pin point his exact position, as everything seemed to sound a bit more distant to the sides than it actually was. It definitely took some getting used to for me, when switching from normal headphones. I prefer an open but round sound stage for those games, but don't get me wrong, it's still sounds amazing, it's just not as PRECISE as it could be.

I see what you mean. Good sense of space but with less accuracy regarding distances/positioning. I think accurate positioning is not all tha timportant to me, if there is good separation. What I do enjoy is a sense of space, roominess, an Oculus Rift for your ears. Or to make it simple, headphones that make you feel as if you're listening to speakers.

A little bright is OK for me. I can handle that better than a dark sound.  I might be able to try the 800 or the 800S at a shop somewhere around here, but it's unlikely I'll be able to compare them side by side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back