Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Aug 17, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #4,981 of 6,514
I've had the HD800 before.  Many times, more than I'd like to admit.  I've had the STAX 007 and 009.  I've had everything.  I have always moved on when I could afford to do so, looking for more.

And my impression of the HD800S, plugged balanced into a Bryston BHA-1, is that it's the McHeadphone of high-end headphones.  The only criticism you could have of the S, it seems, is that its universal excellence is like that of a Honda Accord - kind of inoffensively but slightly boringly perfect, at a high but accessible price.

The HD800S isn't going to be for everyone.  Some might revel in the submerged sound of an Audioquest Nighthawk or a Sony Z7.  STAX might click for other folks.  Some will prefer the original and more characterful HD800.

So is the HD800S perfect for the price?  Or is it perfectly on the slightly boring side??

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #4,982 of 6,514
I've had the HD800 before.  Many times, more than I'd like to admit.  I've had the STAX 007 and 009.  I've had everything.  I have always moved on when I could afford to do so, looking for more.

And my impression of the HD800S, plugged balanced into a Bryston BHA-1, is that it's the McHeadphone of high-end headphones.  The only criticism you could have of the S, it seems, is that its universal excellence is like that of a Honda Accord - kind of inoffensively but slightly boringly perfect, at a high but accessible price.

The HD800S isn't going to be for everyone.  Some might revel in the submerged sound of an Audioquest Nighthawk or a Sony Z7.  STAX might click for other folks.  Some will prefer the original and more characterful HD800.

So is the HD800S perfect for the price?  Or is it perfectly on the slightly boring side??

One of my early observations ( serial number 920) was that of a polite hp. Balanced and running perfectly. All fr tucked nicely into their respective areas singing harmoniously without the whif of exaggeration or boastfulness. Well that's coming from a th900 head and no 800 in the game. It may have a slightly sharp edge, but it's only slight that offers up a sound stage with particularly noticable mids. quite fast leading to good separation.
I too could see this as not for everybody if you are looking for something in particular, like dark, bombastic, warm, moody, or say colourful. However it does offer musical wholeness of the note and is true to the source that one plugs in. Honda Accord interesting analogy, maybe the touring v6 sedan, but yup.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #4,983 of 6,514
All I know is that I can listen for long periods with ease....something that cannot be said by many "over-etched" planar HP's.   I think Tyll refers to the sound as "Sonorous".    Plus they are way comfortable on my noggin...

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #4,984 of 6,514
I wonder if the comment about the S having a "less huge" soundstage are really true. There was a user somewhere (I forgot) that made some blind tests with the 800 and 800S and in terms of soundstage they could not really notice any difference, except when knowing which headphone was in use (probably influenced by reviews).
They did notice less brightness however.

I like bright sound and a large soundstage, so it will be very difficult to choose between the two unless I can audition A/B.

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #4,985 of 6,514
I hope you can hear both first, beowulf.  They are both great, but I think they sound a bit more different from each other than some folks think.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #4,986 of 6,514

I really don't get this analogy at all. If I had to do the "Accord" analogy, it would be the venerable HD650. It's still something of the standard...?

And the 800S boring? Maybe if I put on Pat Boon or something. Otherwise, these cans bring my collection to LIFE.

Now the Hifiman Edition X, THAT'S a boring, lifeless set of headphones.

I know we're all different, but that is an absolutely different experience than I get with these.

YMMV and all that!

:D

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #4,987 of 6,514
That sounds like a vote for "perfect" then!  :)

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #4,988 of 6,514
Oh heck no. I'm holding out on Utopia for that. But, I can say that 'perfect' is out of my league!

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #4,989 of 6,514
Oh heck no. I'm holding out on Utopia for that. But, I can say that 'perfect' is out of my league!

Lol tempted to sell my liquid Crimson and my Alpha Primes to help pay for the Utopia lol. But every time I listen to the Crimson drive my headphones, I just can not sell loll. Oh well I dream of Utopian bliss:).

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #4,990 of 6,514
  I hope you can hear both first, beowulf.  They are both great, but I think they sound a bit more different from each other than some folks think.

Indeed. Probably I wouldn't notice that much of a difference, but at such prices, it makes sense to decide well before buying.
(btw, if anyone local can recommend a good store near Amsterdam with 800/800S to compare, that would be great).

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #4,991 of 6,514
I've been looking at prices and considering only that metric, the difference between the 800S and 800 is rather small, even smaller considering the sale of the Sennheiser CH 800 S cable.

Which brings me to two questions guys,

- Excluding the sonic taste/differences, is it preferable going for the 800S simply because it is the most recent model and might be easier to resell one day of needed? Or on the contrary, the 800 is still seen as the true classic?

- The tip about selling the included cable to recover some $ is interesting. It's a 300 EUR cable at retail, so it was suggested I sell it new for 200. My question here is simple: I have absolutely no idea about the demand for these cables. Is it possible that I'd end up stuck with it for a long time or it should sell fairly easily?

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #4,992 of 6,514
  I've been looking at prices and considering only that metric, the difference between the 800S and 800 is rather small, even smaller considering the sale of the Sennheiser CH 800 S cable.

Which brings me to two questions guys,

- Excluding the sonic taste/differences, is it preferable going for the 800S simply because it is the most recent model and might be easier to resell one day of needed? Or on the contrary, the 800 is still seen as the true classic?

- The tip about selling the included cable to recover some $ is interesting. It's a 300 EUR cable at retail, so it was suggested I sell it new for 200. My question here is simple: I have absolutely no idea about the demand for these cables. Is it possible that I'd end up stuck with it for a long time or it should sell fairly easily?

Regarding the first question, that's a tough one. Resell usually plays a factor into my buying decisions. I bought and sold the hd800 several times. It sounds great with some material and then nearly unlistenable with others. I also bought the hd800S. The S version is great for someone who doesn't want to dicker around with mods and EQ. For me, the original 800 was an appreciably more enjoyable experience than the S when using good EQ on the original. Now I have finally become "content" with the classic and use it everyday with no plans to ever sell. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #4,993 of 6,514
Hi guys. Got a question: everybody talks about how great the 800s are reproducing soundstage. I'm not disputing that, but I can't find any good descriptions of what the soundstage actually sounds like, other than it's very 3-D.

Are we talking the degree of width on the horizontal plane, or are we talking actual layering front to back? For example, in orchestral recordings, are the strings actually in front of the woodwinds which are in front of the brass? In jazz, can you hear the drummer actually behind the soloist? ( both of these are assuming the tracks were recorded that way and that the amplifier being used is also capable ). There are many other examples, but I think you get my drift. Thanks in advance!

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #4,994 of 6,514
Hi guys. Got a question: everybody talks about how great the 800s are reproducing soundstage. I'm not disputing that, but I can't find any good descriptions of what the soundstage actually sounds like, other than it's very 3-D.

Are we talking the degree of width on the horizontal plane, or are we talking actual layering front to back? For example, in orchestral recordings, are the strings actually in front of the woodwinds which are in front of the brass? In jazz, can you hear the drummer actually behind the soloist? ( both of these are assuming the tracks were recorded that way and that the amplifier being used is also capable ). There are many other examples, but I think you get my drift. Thanks in advance!

your over thinking it. the sound stage is wide in the sense that one, its fast. frequencies  are tight and come and go and don't overstep there boundaries, which enhances separation. two, mid detail is excellent and the mids we all know is where the magic happens in this regard. Its not the be all end all can, but that is what 800S is excellent at. Its the honda accord v6 touring sedan of head phones.  
rolleyes.gif

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #4,995 of 6,514
but that is what 800S is excellent at. Its the honda accord v6 touring sedan of head phones.  
rolleyes.gif

Best description I read was "It's like Oculus Rift VR for your ears, man!"

Anyway, the 598 have pretty good soundstage/positioning. Perhaps not in a brutally huge circle/bubble like I hear with my MDR-CD3000, but it's pretty good in width and depth, perhaps a little less in the sense of height. But very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back