Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Aug 19, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #4,996 of 6,514

Agree. I recently added a La Figaro 339 tube amp after reading Lieven's review of HD800S on Headfonia. With the right tubes, HD800S can put out bass to give the HEK a run for the money. 

Sorry about that
biggrin.gif

Good choice, it is a really good setup

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #4,998 of 6,514
  Lieven,
I should thank you as I like the LF339 with 800S a lot. The tube rolling is fun as well and LF339 drives HEK really well with the raw power to control the large diaphragms. Volume dial never pass 12 o'clock.

smile.gif
 I just posted tube info for you in the 339 thread

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #5,000 of 6,514
  Hi guys! I'm thinking about getting HD800S or Fostex TH-900. I don't have any amp atm. What should I get? I mostly listen to pop and piano + violin.  

Personally I have the Zana Deux which is modified to be akin to the Zana Deux SE (where modification specs provided by Craig Urthus himself). To me this seems to work well with my TH-900 (Mk1) and with my HD800S.

I also reviewed the Fostex HP-V8 (in my sig) which really demonstrated how well the TH-900 would scale with big amps. Unfortunately I did not have the HD800S back then and couldn't try the HD800S with it. However the Fostex HP-V8 is quite expensive at around USD$7000-$8000.

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #5,001 of 6,514
Hi guys! I'm thinking about getting HD800S or Fostex TH-900. I don't have any amp atm. What should I get? I mostly listen to pop and piano + violin.  

This is a bit of a quandry cause these are cans that compliment and are not interchangeable, really. Th900 is easy to power so thats your choice, piano and violin, hd800S is possibly better. You like bass th900 you want balance mids 800S.
800 needs a good amp so that puts 900 under the xmas tree i guess?

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #5,002 of 6,514
I agree

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #5,003 of 6,514
I really don't get this analogy at all. If I had to do the "Accord" analogy, it would be the venerable HD650. It's still something of the standard...?

And the 800S boring? Maybe if I put on Pat Boon or something. Otherwise, these cans bring my collection to LIFE.

Now the Hifiman Edition X, THAT'S a boring, lifeless set of headphones.

I know we're all different, but that is an absolutely different experience than I get with these.

YMMV and all that!

:D

I had the original 800 and yes comparing the S to the original, the S is less exciting, maybe boring.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #5,004 of 6,514
Wow! This is hard to decide. What about female vocals HD800s vs th900? Which one does better. I was planning to buy th900 because it is on sale atm. My main can is Ad2000x. It has the best high + sound signature, but not good for long time listening. I want to get the real upgrade from it. Thank you for all your reply.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #5,006 of 6,514
"I had the original 800 and yes comparing the S to the original, the S is less exciting, maybe boring."

What the 800 can do is cool, but my experience is that it got on my nerves too much over time. Always being picky with the music and i couldn't turn the volume up too loud or the treble would get too hot. 

I respect the 800 for it's ability and uniqueness in detail and soundstage, but it's a pain in the ass having to be very selective about everything from your music collection to what kind of gear you're running it with.

The 800S is a more enjoyable headphone overall. It still has impressive details, soundstage and more satisfying bass. If i could only pick one all-around headphone to listen to every night, i'd definitely go for the 800S. It might be the most balanced headphone there is. Just my two cents.

Aug 20, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #5,007 of 6,514

Starting from 9:40 --> 

Tyll is going to (probably) drop off the HD800S from wall of fame.

Tyll recommends Utopia over the Mr. Speakers. However couple of notes from the Utopia review on Innerfidelity:

"What I'm hearing with the Utopia is breathtakingly clear. Transient response measurements are good—almost as good as the HD 800 S—but the image remains close to my head. The image that's there though is pristine. In listening when I compare the Utopia to the HD 800 S or HE1000, it's quite clear to me that the reproduction of cymbals is spot on with the Utopia; with the HE1000 they're more diffuse and less natural; with the HD 800 S they're clean, but somewhat unnaturally sheeny. It seems to me the laid back sound of those two headphones in the presence region—say between 800Hz and 2.5kHz—gives the impression of more distance between me and the vocalist."

Conclusion:
"Sennheiser HD 800 S
 - Thin and uninvolving when compared directly. Things sound disembodied and distant and lack the presence and heft of the Utopia. Astonishingly, the Utopia's treble sounds cleaner and more natural; in comparison I can easily hear how the over-emphatic 5kHz area on the Sennheiser disrupts the naturalness of the sound here. I'm sick of fighting with the HD 800. How many man-hours do you think have gone into fixing the fatal flaws of this otherwise world-class headphone? *sigh*"

This is a little bit strange. First, Tyll says that the Transient response isin't at bar with HD800 and there is more distance beetween the vocalist and listener on the HD800S compared Utopia. (Soundstage)
and then he goes on and bashes the HD800S being crap.  So soundstage isin't no more important? 

According to Tyll the Utopia is more "neutral". Without the soundstage or instrument separation.

Tyll recommends Utopia over Mr. Speakers if you have the money.  In some other impressions i have read, some preferred strongly HD800S compared to Utopia and now according to Tyll Mr. Speakers is more superior than HD800S....?

In the Ether Flow's comment page someone nailed it perfectly: 
"I don't think there's much of a guess of who's getting knocked off the wof. There's only 2 other headphones up there at the top to get knocked off. Judging by Tyll's commentary, seems like the Utopia will replace the HE-1000, the Ether Flow will replace the Ether, and maybe the HD800 S would get knocked off-- though it seems strange that a headphone such as the HD800 S-- whose strengths are unmatched by the other headphones-- would get knocked off."

I know this is bit offtopic, but you guys might be interested on this.

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #5,008 of 6,514

Tyll is going to (probably) drop off the HD800S from wall of fame.

What!?!?

But I'm just about to buy mine! After over 2 years of thinking about HD800/HD800S!
That is not fair. I shall have to quote Carl Sagan... "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" 
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #5,010 of 6,514
  HD800S still sounds pretty good to me! on or off the wof.

Well I have no horse in this race yet, money is still in the wallet, but it sure is interesting.
But I've been a tester/reviewer for a brand of different products and I know that sometimes... well, let's just say that you can't really stray from certain paths without disturbing your long term planning. I.e.: Never call the freebie incoming sample units crap and try to sound as excited as possible.
Not saying it is the case here, in fact, I'd love to hear it and wouldn't be surprised if it is that good. Looks are also nice, except for that deformed peanut case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back