Sennheiser HD800 vs Audeze LCD-2 (Rev 2) vs Denon D7000 Shootout
Sep 4, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #106 of 155
Same here.  I reach for them 80% of the time.  They never fail to astound me every time, and I am constantly finding more and more detail in recordings I have listened to for years....

I recently purchased the W3000ANV to complement the HD800 and as much as i enjoy it as a closed headphone, i feel the HD800 is superior in almost every way.

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #107 of 155
Quote:
I recently purchased the W3000ANV to complement the HD800 and as much as i enjoy it as a closed headphone, i feel the HD800 is superior in almost every way.

Really? Better at isolation? 
wink_face.gif

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #108 of 155
Quote:
Same here.  I reach for them 80% of the time.  They never fail to astound me every time, and I am constantly finding more and more detail in recordings I have listened to for years....

That may be true, but is it natural detail or spotlit detail? IOW, is it the sort of detail you would have heard had you been there when the recording was made? Fact is, hearing detail per se is not necessarily an indication of an accurate headphone. I can buy a $50 phone from Woolworth's and turn the treble full up and hear lots of detail, but it wouldn't be in the least natural. LIve music doesn't generally have a lot of detail unless you're standing amongst the musicians.

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #109 of 155
Really? Better at isolation? :wink_face:

I meant soundwise. However, everything changed since i bent the headband to make the cups more parallel to each other as opposed to their inherently V-shape. The bass is now fuller & punchier, providing a better tonal balance. I find things get better if i wear them as low as possible on my ears but i guess that will vary from one individual to the next...

Continued direct (volume matched) A/B comparisons with the HD800 is a much closer call now. I think the W3000 has even more clarity, definition & detail, however i still feel the HD800 has a fuller & more natural sounding midrange (less colored?).

In the end i think they are both equally good with their own set of trade offs, but personal preference always prevails.

It may take me a while to declare a clear winner between the two since they are both fairly new :)

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #110 of 155
Have you guys used these for gaming? If so, how do they with Dolby Headphone Virtual Surround? Is it easy to hear where things are coming from?

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #111 of 155
Quote:
Have you guys used these for gaming? If so, how do they with Dolby Headphone Virtual Surround? Is it easy to hear where things are coming from?

These are high end headphones so for gaming they are more than enough. I'd recommend all of the headphones discussed except for the LCD-2s/LCD-3s, as the soundstage is pretty limited and narrow.

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #112 of 155
I've been really curious about the D7000's because of really good reviews for gaming and music listening, but from your review, it is not as good as the HD800. Someone is selling a D7000 for 1300 which I can get a HD800 for about 100 more.

For gaming (and music/movies for off gaming hours), am I crazy for picking the D7000 over the HD800s? I guess a lot of reviews on the D7000 really has gotten me crazy to try to get them even they're discontinued and are almost double their original price. It seems like they have a unique sound from what I've heard. I wish I knew someone who had them both so I could listen.

Which one would you pick if you could only get 1 for music/movies? I listen to all sorts of genres of music: Metal, Rock, Smooth Jazz, Trance, Dubstep, Dance, Classical/Movie soundtracks

Also, have you tried the Fostex TH900's? Are they not as good than the LCD2/3 or HD800?  Someone recommended the Fostex over D7000 in the comments section on a D7000 unboxing video.

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #113 of 155
Yes, I do have the Fostex TH900s, and they are better than the LCD-2 and D7000 for me. It is closely related in sound signature to the D7000 but everything is perfected and improved, including the treble which I found a few problems with in the D7000 and the soundstage, which for gaming is pretty important. I actually have a very similar listening taste to what you described and had enjoyed the HD800s for a long long time with those genres and with gaming (if you ever played Amnesia: The Dark Descent, I used the HD800s almost all the time since it made the gaming experience a lot more realistic with the enormous soundstage and 3D imaging).  The LCD-2s have a narrow sound stage, and coupled with the comfort, I would never recommend it for gaming.

At this moment, the TH900 have replaced my HD800 as the most used can since they match the clarity of the HD800 and the frequency response is comparably neutral. They may not have as much of an expansive/airy soundstage, but they have a very dynamic sound stage that increases dramatically when the music calls for it. The impact and bass presence with the TH900s/D7000s is striking and is more in quantity than the HD800s.

You have to remember that the HD800 are 300ohms impedance and the TH900/D7000 both in the 25ohm region, which means that HD800 will require quality amplification and the creations by Fostex will not call for it that much, but will benefit obviously.

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #114 of 155
Wow thx!

You're a PC gamer correct? Do you play any competitive FPS shooters like Black Ops 2 or just Single player games? I like play a lot of multiplayer and like to have good positional cues to be able to where people are coming from. Also, zombie mode cuz they come from everywhere.

I have an Asus Xonar STX soundcard... is that sufficient for powering the Fostex or HD800?

Where can you purchase the Fostex? I can't find any links or sites.

Were you able to listen to the D7000/LCD2/TH900/HD800 before you bought, or you just went off of reviews?

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #118 of 155
One month later, I've finally got a tracking number! 
biggrin.gif

So everyone in Europe, they are in stock again atleast in Germany (I used hifi-im-hinterhof.de, they ship everywhere).

edit: Oops this wasn't the TH900 thread... anyway.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #120 of 155
Quote:
One month later, I've finally got a tracking number! 
biggrin.gif

So everyone in Europe, they are in stock again atleast in Germany (I used hifi-im-hinterhof.de, they ship everywhere).

edit: Oops this wasn't the TH900 thread... anyway.

Ah ok thx! Hope shipping isn't too much from Germany to USA.

I ordered TH900 from a United states store.. I hope they're not out of stock too. No actual confirmation from a live person, just an automated confirmation. No deduction of funds in my account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back