Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Dec 2, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #4,051 of 8,689
I have been using a pair of HD800S for a year and the ear pads are still in good shape despite often being worn for 8 hours a day. Significant step up from the Elears they replaced and the light weight is very much appreciated. In my system they are lacking a bit of low bass (could be my tube amp) so I use a Loki to boost 20 Hz a tad. I can live with the HD800S for a long time. I basically built my system around them. I am starting to miss speakers though so a good pair of powered near field monitors are on my want list for next year.

Dec 2, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #4,052 of 8,689
I have been using a pair of HD800S for a year and the ear pads are still in good shape despite often being worn for 8 hours a day. Significant step up from the Elears they replaced and the light weight is very much appreciated. In my system they are lacking a bit of low bass (could be my tube amp) so I use a Loki to boost 20 Hz a tad. I can live with the HD800S for a long time. I basically built my system around them. I am starting to miss speakers though so a good pair of powered near field monitors are on my want list for next year.

Since you like the 800S, maybe try the dekoni elite sheep leather earpads.

So comfy and make the hd800s a much better fit and even though somefolk here don’t like, I think they are great, much better than the stock pads, plus they are roughly the same price as a new stock pair of pads from sennheiser.

Dec 2, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #4,053 of 8,689
In comparing the HD800S with the LCD-3 and Clear, the HD800S is definitely the winner on comfort by a substantial margin. When I have the pick one to listen to, I sense that the lighter weight of the HD800S biases me towards picking it. I also like the very German functional and aesthetic design of the HD800S.
Nothing beats the HD800S for comfort and detailed voicing.

Dec 2, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #4,054 of 8,689
Nothing beats the HD800S for comfort and detailed voicing.

Some people rank the Utopia very high for detail, but I found that the gap in detail between the Utopia and Clear was a lot less than the gap between the HD800S and Clear. So, to my ears, by inference, the HD800S seems to beat the Utopia on detail, but I haven't compared them back to back.

Dec 2, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #4,055 of 8,689
Flat, forward mids is fatiguing on headphones. While it sound great on speakers, because it travels quite a bit more distance. I think you want slight dip in presence region to sound more like speakers. Dip in presence region create spaciousness, more easy going laidback sound, like if sound travels bigger distance instead of slapping your ears with full force.
Hifiman Arya could be great headphones for you...

I am an HD800s owner used to be an HD800 owner.
But following the hype about the clears i was able to find a loaner for two days.
I listened a lot swapping between the clears and HD800s.
I didn't like them and saved my pocket 1500€!!!

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #4,056 of 8,689
But following the hype about the clears i was able to find a loaner for two days.

Having moved from 800 on to 800S, do you feel there is something you miss about the 800 ? And if there are improvements , in what areas do you notice them ?

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #4,057 of 8,689
Thats great for you, many people just buy blindly. i wish sennheiser when they release new flagship to add few db on mids, 3db to bass and it would be perfectly balanced headphone. Lucky for Sennheiser that its competitors have all kind of driver failures, build issues or bad tonality, otherwise sales would slow down a ton.

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #4,059 of 8,689
Having moved from 800 on to 800S, do you feel there is something you miss about the 800 ? And if there are improvements , in what areas do you notice them ?

My former HD800 was very similar to my current HD800S.
HD800S is just a tiny bit warmer overall and less steely in terms of tonality.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #4,061 of 8,689
Some people rank the Utopia very high for detail, but I found that the gap in detail between the Utopia and Clear was a lot less than the gap between the HD800S and Clear. So, to my ears, by inference, the HD800S seems to beat the Utopia on detail, but I haven't compared them back to back.
I own both the HD800S and Utopia. The Utopia definitely beats the HD800S in detail, particularly when it comes to bass. I know I will probably get flamed saying that on this thread but that's the way my ears and brain process the two.

DAC: Yggdrasil A2
Amp: Ragnarok/V280

Dec 3, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #4,062 of 8,689
I own both the HD800S and Utopia. The Utopia definitely beats the HD800S in detail, particularly when it comes to bass. I know I will probably get flamed saying that on this thread but that's the way my ears and brain process the two.

I d hope so as it costs £2190 more, this sort of money should definitely buy you a better headphone :)

Dec 3, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #4,063 of 8,689

I may have to try the Utopia again. Maybe I’ll find that my perception has significantly changed since I last tried it (which in itself would be kind of troubling, but also interesting).

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #4,064 of 8,689
My former HD800 was very similar to my current HD800S.
HD800S is just a tiny bit warmer overall and less steely in terms of tonality.
That is my sense also regarding a comparison of the HD800 to HD800S. The HD800S' bass seems deeper and more enveloping; however, it is somewhat less detailed. Overall, my eras prefer the HD800S sound signature. It is more enjoyable across more genres of music.

Dec 3, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #4,065 of 8,689

@Svatopluk how is the soundstage and imaging of the Utopia vs HD800S please? With my Tortuga preamp using HD800S soundstage extends beyond the ears, it is very wide, deep and even tall. Placement of instruments is precise even in the bass region. I am hearing fine details I missed before, going back and revisiting familiar tracks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back