Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 28, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #4,036 of 8,789
In this case it's not really skimping but more curiosity in how the all leather ear-pads would affect the sound and comfort.

The one below I posted earlier is skimping:ksc75smile:....$10 vs $110.00...although not the same workmanship happy to report the sound and feel are identical...: )
Seriously though OEMs are always known to cost more just because they are.... OEMs... and without a change in quality can have an asking price of 10 to 1 over an identical non OEM part...and this applies to auto parts, vacuum cleaner bags, ink cartridges...almost anything and everything. Just comes down to how one wishes to part with their money...and skimping vs gouging.....if the non OEM replacements suck I'm the first to order from the original manufacturer. : )

I hv this and how it looks like now :ksc75smile:

0MMrrj.jpg

0MMgqP.jpg

Indents on the band from hanging my cans on the NZXT puck
0MMaoG.jpg

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #4,041 of 8,789
Would be informative as to what type of environment they've been exposed to????

I hv this and how it looks like now :ksc75smile:

0MMrrj.jpg

but then I've had my cable disintegrate due to possible caustic body oils.... : ( which happily to say Sennheiser replaced without cost. : )

Anyone else experience this, went to put on my 800S and the balanced cable felt a bit strange on the left side, took them off to discover the outer sheathing has actual started to gum up and disintegrate : ( , headphones have been babied and kept in my living room. The rubber has suddenly deteriorated where it actually leaves black goo on my fingers and crumbles into pieces..????
They are still under warranty until May so I'll contact Sennheiser tomorrow, otherwise its an expensive inconvenience to replace. : (

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #4,042 of 8,789
That sounds promising... even though they cost more than a descent pair of leather gloves....how's the build quality?

Still have not hd the chance to audition them further yet...Turkey day and all...I think the build quality is pretty good....The stock pads remove easily by working your fingers around the ID and prying a little as you go....the Misodiko's s reverse the process and they snap right on!

I hope to get some time soon to report back on sonics...

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #4,043 of 8,789
I can't believe how bad those pads and cables look....was your Skin emitting Caustic acids? My pads look new but almost flat...like zero padding is left intact....like a flat feather pillow....

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #4,044 of 8,789
If sweat is left to dry on the pads it will eat them up. I've found that I've been able to keep mine new by soaking them in a shallow pan of Blue Dawn detergent and warm water. Lightly squeezed and then using towels to absorb excess water and dried (not in direct sunlight).

One of the best things about the HD800 design is the removable headband. I've seen a pair of Focal Clears look like an oil rag after a few months of us. I guess, arguably, the HD650 design is pretty decent too, not too hard to replace the padding.

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #4,045 of 8,789
What, how old are those things, I’d hope it’s like 20 years

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #4,046 of 8,789
Got my HD800S today, and am now listening to them for the first time. My initial impression is that they're world class, A+. More to follow after I've spent more time with them and compared with other headphones.

I've now listened to the HD800S for a couple days, with a variety of genres and tracks, but no back to back comparisons with other headphones yet.

My impression at this point is that the HD800S is a supremely honest and truthful headphone, with reference-quality accuracy of tonal balance and a ton of detail and resolution due to the lack of distortion.

The downside of this is that, if a recording isn't good -- too much sizzle, too much bass, anemic bass, distortion in the recording process, etc. -- the HD800S will do it's job and reveal those flaws. On the other hand, when the recording quality is good -- which is the majority of what I listen to -- the HD800S is supremely good, and perhaps better than anything else I've heard.

So I'm seeing the HD800S as a top choice for audiophiles who listen to audiophile-quality recordings, rather than a general purpose headphone intended to mask or compensate for the flaws of flawed recordings, at the expense of making good recordings sound not as good as they potentially can. I don't think any headphone can both provide reference-level quality for good recordings and make bad recordings sound less bad, because those are contradictory goals and they require different designs.

With quality recordings, the HD800S allows the music to come through transparently and vividly, which makes for a highly musical and addictive listening experience.

More to follow after I listen more, but right now I'm absolutely loving this headphone.

I've now listened to the HD800S every day for the past two weeks, and during the past few days I've been rotating between the HD800S, Focal Clear, and LCD-3 to do back to back comparisons. Here are my subjective impressions and findings:

- All three are excellent headphones, and not dramatically different from each other. That's what I'd expect from headphones which are designed to be hi-fi and not intentionally color the sound a lot. They all make great recordings sound great, and poor recordings sound like poor recordings, and none is a lot more forgiving of poor recordings than the others.

- While not dramatically different from each other, the differences are definitely noticeable, with each having it's own signature.

- The differences between them are most obvious when switching between them, and in fact each initially consistently sounds worse than the one I was just listening to, because I first notice what's missing in the sound that I liked in the one I was just listening to. But over the course of seconds to minutes, my ears/brain adjust, the perception of deficiencies fades, and perception of virtues increases. So, for me, back to back comparison highlights the differences, but can give a misleading impression of how the headphone will sound with normal extended listening (either as background, or really paying attention to the music).

As far as the differences:

- The HD800S has the most neutral sound of the three, closest to what I think of as a studio reference sound. It also has the biggest/widest sense of stage, the most detail and clarity, and is the least shouty. Coming from the other two, especially the LCD-3, it initially sounds light on bass, but after giving my ears/brain time to adjust and learn to hear the bass, the bass is just fine, not lacking at all.

- The LCD-3 has the fattest and weightiest bass of the three (but it's not too much), and a silky sheen to the highs which I sometimes perceive to be slightly artificial or veiling. It has the least neutral sound of the three, but still a very pleasant sound and by no means too far from neutrality.

- The Clear is kind of in between the HD800S and LCD-3. The detail and clarity is just below the HD800S. The bass has more energy than the HD800S, in a way that's distinctive to the Elear/Clear/Utopia, but not as fat and weighty as the LCD-3. The sense of stage is much closer to the LCD-3 than the HD800S, though the LCD-3 stage is a bit more holographic and distant than the Clear.

Which one of the three I like most depends on the track and my mood. There's no consistent winner, each has its moments to shine. But there's no loser either, because if I love one on a given track, I'll love the other two also. Again, they're all excellent and truly hi-fi headphones.

If I could have only one of them, I'd be happy with any of the three, and wouldn't lament not having the other two. They're not so different or complementary that I have a 'need' to have all three. But the differences are at least noticeable enough that I can rationalize having all three to myself, and more importantly, my wife! :)

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #4,048 of 8,789
I found the clears to be very shouty - ringing after a certain volume level a little above normal.
Do you hear the same on yours?
Flat, forward mids is fatiguing on headphones. While it sound great on speakers, because it travels quite a bit more distance. I think you want slight dip in presence region to sound more like speakers. Dip in presence region create spaciousness, more easy going laidback sound, like if sound travels bigger distance instead of slapping your ears with full force.
Hifiman Arya could be great headphones for you...

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #4,049 of 8,789
In comparing the HD800S with the LCD-3 and Clear, the HD800S is definitely the winner on comfort by a substantial margin. When I have the pick one to listen to, I sense that the lighter weight of the HD800S biases me towards picking it. I also like the very German functional and aesthetic design of the HD800S.

Dec 2, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #4,050 of 8,789
In comparing the HD800S with the LCD-3 and Clear, the HD800S is definitely the winner on comfort by a substantial margin. When I have the pick one to listen to, I sense that the lighter weight of the HD800S biases me towards picking it. I also like the very German functional and aesthetic design of the HD800S.
good to hear your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back