Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 27, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #4,021 of 8,689
I'm not sure if a hyper-expensive USB cable made to industry specifications can improve signal quality to any measurable degree. A comparison can be made with an HDMI cable; no cable exists which can measurably improve signal quality and in the case of HDMI cables, improve acting. Perhaps using a tube amplifier to add second order harmonic distortion or using EQ software would be more effective than a DAC (which is supposed to be neutral) or a USB cable (which is simply required to transfer signal without loss)? If such a cable could be used to enhance output from my DSLR or improve my printed text then I'm a believer. Until then, my trusty Poundland USB cable will continue to heroically transport supply noughts and ones.

Very well said.

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #4,023 of 8,689
Honestly man. In my present system it sounded harsh regardless of music quality. Topping Dx 7 as a dac or dac/amp combo. Had Arcam Irdac but it sounded way too colored. Later on Tried ifi nano usb 3.0 to bring more natural Sound and lower noise floor. It kinda sounded rounder in bass and lower mids, but very thin mids and highs. With Ifi nano usb 3.0 everthing sounded unbearably harsh even with amp like Violectric V280. My last chance before changing dac was to try usb cable that have separeted power line from signal line with good insulation and great quality conductor.
So i got Wireworld Starlight Platinum 7 Usb cable yesterday and my God...
I dont remember last time i didnt skip song, but now i barely had sleep after my nigh shift, because music sounded so organic so real so alive, resolving and detailed...
I was laughing when reading about cables back in the day, but now i am truly a believer...
If i would start my journey again i would buy quality usb cable after dac and amp.
What you feed dac is what you get...
Yes expensive cable, but it make music sound real which cannot be achieved with amp. Whith ****ty usb music will sound flat regardles of amp.
Congrats on the new acquisition and the "real sound."

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #4,024 of 8,689
Congrats on the new acquisition and the "real sound."
I have recently bought a Denafrips Terminator DAC. Previously I was using a Chord TT. Both feed a V281.
I could not listen very long to the HD800S using the Chord, the phones sounded too thin and too peaky in the treble. With the Terminator they have become my go to phones: smooth, rich and no treble peak.
DACS do make a difference. It is a question of matching I suppose

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #4,025 of 8,689
Honestly man. In my present system it sounded harsh regardless of music quality. Topping Dx 7 as a dac or dac/amp combo. Had Arcam Irdac but it sounded way too colored. Later on Tried ifi nano usb 3.0 to bring more natural Sound and lower noise floor. It kinda sounded rounder in bass and lower mids, but very thin mids and highs. With Ifi nano usb 3.0 everthing sounded unbearably harsh even with amp like Violectric V280. My last chance before changing dac was to try usb cable that have separeted power line from signal line with good insulation and great quality conductor.
So i got Wireworld Starlight Platinum 7 Usb cable yesterday and my God...

You're running a $500 USB cable attached to a $400 dac/amp combo? Or as a connector to a DAC and the V280?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #4,027 of 8,689
I found a server helped TT imensly.

Nov 28, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #4,028 of 8,689
I found a server helped TT imensly.
I listened to my friends 2qute on both Usb and optical with my Violectric V280. It sounded great trough optical, but now i understand comments about chords harsness... It sounded realy harsh on usb. Fpga chip is probably even more sensitive to noisy usb than other solutions... Interestingly When i listened Dave year ago it sounded great even on usb, Optical still better thou. Too bad didnt had chance to try my new wireworld with 2qute... Probably would have helped with its separeted power line Cause it sound lot smoother on my sabre dac...

Nov 28, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #4,029 of 8,689
I have recently bought a Denafrips Terminator DAC. Previously I was using a Chord TT. Both feed a V281.
I could not listen very long to the HD800S using the Chord, the phones sounded too thin and too peaky in the treble. With the Terminator they have become my go to phones: smooth, rich and no treble peak.
DACS do make a difference. It is a question of matching I suppose
It sure looks awesome, there is ton of enginering there isnt only focus on good chip...

Nov 28, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #4,031 of 8,689
I've never understood how some people can skimp on pads with high end headphones. HD800s is a $1700 headphone so why cheap out and buy $40 pads for it when you can spend a bit more and get proven quality. I don't get it.

In this case it's not really skimping but more curiosity in how the all leather ear-pads would affect the sound and comfort.

The one below I posted earlier is skimping:ksc75smile:....$10 vs $110.00...although not the same workmanship happy to report the sound and feel are identical...: )
Seriously though OEMs are always known to cost more just because they are.... OEMs... and without a change in quality can have an asking price of 10 to 1 over an identical non OEM part...and this applies to auto parts, vacuum cleaner bags, ink cartridges...almost anything and everything. Just comes down to how one wishes to part with their money...and skimping vs gouging.....if the non OEM replacements suck I'm the first to order from the original manufacturer. : )

Received my non OEM $10 cushions…. the outer material and plastic frame they’re mounted on appears to be very similar to the originals, obviously cannot comment on the inner foam but the pads are relatively soft, offer good comfort, a secure fit and better seal than the worn pads, which helps slightly to increase the lower bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back