Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Dec 6, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #4,082 of 8,768
I'n sure they are always working on something, but being that the HD800S is barely three years old, I think it will be a couple of years at least before we see any kind of upgrade/replacement.
2019 will be 4 years for HD800S and 10 for HD800. Its very long gap even for Sennheiser... For Sennheiser fans i would reccomend to stay with HD800S and wait for something big than just buy sidegrades. I mean which company make reliable headphones that didnt have voicing problems? Susvara or Sr900S which cost arm and leg with good setup? Utopia with not changeable headband, joke soundstage and joke qc?
Empyrean looks like only safe option...

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #4,083 of 8,768
2019 will be 4 years for HD800S and 10 for HD800. Its very long gap even for Sennheiser... For Sennheiser fans i would reccomend to stay with HD800S and wait for something big than just buy sidegrades. I mean which company make reliable headphones that didnt have voicing problems? Susvara or Sr900S which cost arm and leg with good setup? Utopia with not changeable headband, joke soundstage and joke qc?
Empyrean looks like only safe option...
Ageed. I have already given up both arms and legs for this "hobby."

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #4,085 of 8,768
When I tested susvara not that it was the same as 800S but couldn't pull the trigger. I have a bass cannon the la900 and sure susvara was harmonious in some ways compared to the wide snap of 800S. but I like that snap now so i have given up trying other company HP. So sure the next flagship, open HP from senn, will grab my attention. till then just wait it out happily

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #4,086 of 8,768
When I tested susvara not that it was the same as 800S but couldn't pull the trigger. I have a bass cannon the la900 and sure susvara was harmonious in some ways compared to the wide snap of 800S. but I like that snap now so i have given up trying other company HP. So sure the next flagship, open HP from senn, will grab my attention. till then just wait it out happily
Im sure HD800S sing on your sick gear so no need to rush thing up for you he he... Just gonna do the same... upgrade dac, amp then wait for Sennheiser flagship.

Dec 7, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #4,087 of 8,768
Hey everyone, i'm in a predicament and i'd like to ask people here their opinion or experience and possibly it could help me with my possible outcome.
first let me setup the groundwork, i used to have a FiiO X5 Gen 3 DAP and it was ok but i sold it to get a better dap under 1,000$.
I've come to a choice now between the Astell & Kern SR15 or the Sony ZX300.
now while trying to decide between these, a friend of mine is selling his HD800S because he wants to get the HD820.
hes going to sell them to me if im interested for a "friend price" which i wont disclose but it makes it quite alluring for me as i've never owned a pair of senns before and the only one i've ever tried and listened to were the HD660s.

my question is as follows, have any of you tried the HD800S on the aforementioned two DAPs i've mentioned. how would you guys think they would scale? i'm fully aware the HD800S are 300 ohm and thats quite a tall task to ask for a DAP to power decently.

Thanks for your time :)

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #4,088 of 8,768
Hey everyone, i'm in a predicament and i'd like to ask people here their opinion or experience and possibly it could help me with my possible outcome.
first let me setup the groundwork, i used to have a FiiO X5 Gen 3 DAP and it was ok but i sold it to get a better dap under 1,000$.
I've come to a choice now between the Astell & Kern SR15 or the Sony ZX300.
now while trying to decide between these, a friend of mine is selling his HD800S because he wants to get the HD820.
hes going to sell them to me if im interested for a "friend price" which i wont disclose but it makes it quite alluring for me as i've never owned a pair of senns before and the only one i've ever tried and listened to were the HD660s.

my question is as follows, have any of you tried the HD800S on the aforementioned two DAPs i've mentioned. how would you guys think they would scale? i'm fully aware the HD800S are 300 ohm and thats quite a tall task to ask for a DAP to power decently.

Thanks for your time :)
How much he want for them ?

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #4,092 of 8,768
It's a good price, all im going to say, is that i now have a choice between a brand new pair of Focal Elegia or my friends used HD800S..

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #4,093 of 8,768
It's a good price, all im going to say, is that i now have a choice between a brand new pair of Focal Elegia or my friends used HD800S..

Why do you not want to reveal the price your friend’s asking for? Just curious.

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #4,094 of 8,768
Why do you not want to reveal the price your friend’s asking for? Just curious.
Meh, its not what id rather focus on. im more curious as to if the HD800S pairs well with the two daps i've mentioned :p

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #4,095 of 8,768
If you are starting with the knowledge that the 800S will be underpowered and most definitely sub optimally driven by either of those DAPs, the exact price of what you d pay for them is helpful for anyone that would give you any further opinions or suggestions. There might be a much easier to drive phone in that price bracket that will sound better than a power and current starved 800S no matter how cheaply bought.
Not to mention that your friend could sell it then to a non friend for a fairer price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back