1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by shabta, Jan 19, 2016.
First

Back
265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274
276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285
Next

Last
  1. Arniesb
    +1 Utopia is better headphones than my HD800S loved it tonal balance, soundstage sucked for ME though, but... Money dont grow on a trees and to get driver failure after warranty period is scary thought, on top of that Headband is not changeable for cheap.
    Just hope Sennheiser release something like Utopia someday...

2. Rayzilla
    Not one of the two DAPs you are considering but I would suggest DX200 with AMP7 or AMP8. It will give the HD800S a nice little bass bump.

3. exdmd
    If you have heard the HD800S and like their sound signature they are headphones you can live with for years and will scale as you buy better associated gear. I think using DAPs with those phones is not ideal, also realize they are open backs so not designed to be used in public as anyone around you will also be listening to your music.

From my experience the least expensive amp that does justice to the HD800S is the Schiit Vali 2 for $149. The HD800S love tubes, even tube hybrids like the Vali 2. Pair the Vali 2 with a Modi Multibit or Bifrost Multibit for a budget system that is however not portable.

Is there any reason you have to stick with a DAP? If you do prefer a DAP long term I would look into a good pair of custom fit IEMs that have a low input impedance like the Ultimate Ears Reference Remastered.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Tsukuyomi and ZappaMan like this.
  4. Tsukuyomi
    Im using the dap for more than just transit but also around the home and lounging in the backyard. The daps are what id prefer for their price range and portabity. I dont like iems to be fair and im not a fan of schiit audio despite the alluring bang for buck. Ive seen issues before from friends who have bought from them.

5. exdmd
    Fair enough. IEMs can be a nice change especially if you have noisy neighbours you need to block out once in awhile:) I have never had a problem with any of the Schiit gear I have owned.

6. Rayzilla
    I totally get your preference for a DAP for the reasons that you stated. I'm interested in picking up a used TH900 and I see that you used to own one. Just wondering why you have moved on from that HP.

Tsukuyomi likes this.
  7. Rayzilla
    Seems like I am agreeing wihh everyone in this thread but before this past summer I was a HP only guy. Then to deal with the summer heat in Hong Kong, I finally gave IEMs a try and I do not regret it one bit and so glad that I gave it a go. I even use them at my desk on occasions too now.

8. Tsukuyomi
    Comfort primarily, and i felt the sound signature wasnt for me. perhaps in future i might check out the TH909 i've heard it scales nicely to amps and dacs.
    but it was really about comfort for me, if its not comfortable i'll get rid of it.

9. Rayzilla
    Then in my opinion, you can't go wrong with any variant of the HD800. It is the most comfortable of any headphone I have ever tried as well.

llcook51 and Tsukuyomi like this.
  10. Tsukuyomi
    A friend is willing to sell me his hd800s so well see what happens.

11. llcook51
    Agreed.

LarryMagoo likes this.
  12. Luke Thomas
    Do many eq the music played through the 800S

13. Whazzzup
    either one does or doesn’t in general. I don’t but a server took the need away

14. Lay.
    Nope. I tried to play with True-Fi couple of times but I did not feel like it needed any eq

15. Luke Thomas
    800s is known to need a tad more bass.

First

Back
265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274
276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285
Next

Last