Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Dec 22, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #4,131 of 8,574
yup, they scale exactly the same way that hd650/6xx do. they don't mate well to ss amps though and sound best with high end tube amps. I still think these rank as one of the best headphones in the world on the right system which isn't necessarily true other headphones that don't scale as much.

Dec 22, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #4,132 of 8,574
yup, they scale exactly the same way that hd650/6xx do. they don't mate well to ss amps though and sound best with high end tube amps. I still think these rank as one of the best headphones in the world on the right system which isn't necessarily true other headphones that don't scale as much.
Not sure I fully agree. I had the 800S with a LaFigaro 339 and really nice tubes, and the combination was indeed really nice, but it was no better, and if different, not night and day different from the speaker tap running from my NAD M3 SS integrated.

Dec 24, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #4,134 of 8,574
I had them on the La Figaro 339 too and performed better on my ss amps.
Sweet, yes, while I really did dig the slight euphoria that musical tube distortion can bring, the 800S driven directly from the speaker terminals of my NAD M3 was staggeringly good. Really liked the 800S. I added a little deep bass to it via EQ in JRiver, but only around -2dB and using a parametric EQ for better control.

All gear has sweet spots depending of course on the material and how it is mastered and with the 800S when you hit upon certain material it is hard to think things could sound better. So really as people say with gear at this level and taking preferences into account things just start to sound different, and it is more if you are into the signature.

Miss the 800S for sure. Sold it locally so should check in and see how the buyer is doing with it. He came over and auditioned it on the NAD fell in love with it right away and like a year later when I spoke to him he said that he appreciated it even more so that says a lot I think. It isn't for everybody, but if the 800S signatures works for you, so lucky as musically it can bring it.

Dec 24, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #4,135 of 8,574
I totally agree with you,HD800S are AMAZING and don’t need to add to much with amplification because they are tunned allready v.good,but since i built my system around La Figaro ,HD800 worked better for me(bass was totally off with HD800S,wooly,too much bloom).

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #4,136 of 8,574
I totally agree with you,HD800S are AMAZING and don’t need to add to much with amplification because they are tunned allready v.good,but since i built my system around La Figaro ,HD800 worked better for me(bass was totally off with HD800S,wooly,too much bloom).
I agree that the HD800S is "amazing." This is especially true since I paired them with the Cavalli Liquid Platinum. Rich bass through to crystal highs. A good tube amp opens the HD800S for maximum enjoyment.

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #4,137 of 8,574
I assure you that La Figaro 339 it is a very capable amp and work v.good with several headphones like HD650,T1,HE500,HD800 but for some reason not with HD800S,so i guess depends on the synergy ,idk.I personally tried all these headphones with 339(see my posts on the La Figaro thread,some months old).

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #4,138 of 8,574
Happy New Year!

Have we talked about how good a value the HD800S is? I've been auditioning the $4K LCD-4 for the past few days, and to my ears, the HD800S beats it on both detail and tonal accuracy. Subjectively, I feel like the HD800S takes me 'inside' the music, while still painting a musical picture which is coherent and enjoyable.

Lately, I'm kind of thinking that if I could have only one headphone, the HD800S might be the one. Worth every penny.

Jan 1, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #4,139 of 8,574
Happy New Year!

Have we talked about how good a value the HD800S is? I've been auditioning the $4K LCD-4 for the past few days, and to my ears, the HD800S beats it on both detail and tonal accuracy. Subjectively, I feel like the HD800S takes me 'inside' the music, while still painting a musical picture which is coherent and enjoyable.

Lately, I'm kind of thinking that if I could have only one headphone, the HD800S might be the one. Worth every penny.

Wow, impressive conclusion. A comparison I was interested in. Came to the same conclusion versus susvara, although different sq, hd800S just a great all rounder.

Jan 1, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #4,140 of 8,574
Wow, impressive conclusion. A comparison I was interested in. Came to the same conclusion versus susvara, although different sq, hd800S just a great all rounder.

Of course, this is just for my ears, and Other Ears May Differ (OEMD). The lesson for me is to not rely too much on other reviewers, and don't assume that more expensive means better.

I think Sennheiser wanted to set a price which makes sense compared to its other headphones, whereas other manufacturers are capitalizing on the addiction of headphone enthusiasts by pricing some of their products at $3K and higher simply because the market will bear those prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back