Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Apr 12, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #8,686 of 8,697
Apr 17, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #8,687 of 8,697
20240417_202218.jpg

I hate to remove the pad every time.
Why did not design other way with ease for removing.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #8,688 of 8,697
My guess is that Sennheiser thought that not having them fall off when in use was more important than ease of replacement. Sennheiser is a large company with talented designers & engineers - if they wanted to they could have thought of a way to have both - ease of replacement AND sturdy enough to not fall off when using them. But what do I know? I’m just a user :wink:

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #8,689 of 8,697

I hate to remove the pad every time.
Why did not design other way with ease for removing.
Because for almost every user the only time you remove the pads is when you replace them. I have omly had to do it once in 10 years. They didn't consider the insignificantly small number of users doing what you are doing. I can see why you find it frustrating, but it isn't a normal use case.

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #8,690 of 8,697
How would you compare hd800s with zmf like atrium or verite that are also open back 300oms flagship hp? Which would you suggest for pure enjoyment of music?
I live in Europe and I must take into account that zmf is about 30% over msrp for me though...
Thank you very much folks.

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #8,691 of 8,697
How would you compare hd800s with zmf like atrium or verite that are also open back 300oms flagship hp? Which would you suggest for pure enjoyment of music?
I live in Europe and I must take into account that zmf is about 30% over msrp for me though...
Thank you very much folks.
zmf atrium is more musical and enjoyable, hd800s is more balanced and accurate.

Apr 28, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #8,693 of 8,697
zmf atrium is more musical and enjoyable, hd800s is more balanced and accurate.
Totally agree if you are using bad/non compatible amps.

What’s your system? Still using violectric amps?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #8,694 of 8,697
I found Atrium Open to be darker, richer, much more mid-bassy, but smoother and softer. MUCH thicker sounding, if that’s your thing. The soundstage is actually pretty similar - maybe HD800S is a bit wider. Treble on the Atrium is more rolled off, if you find the HD800S too bright.

Verites (had Open, still have Closed) are just about as fast and detailed as HD800, maybe more so actually. As extended top to bottom, with a slightly richer sound. There’s more of a 3d effect to the soundstage, like you’re on stage surrounded by musicians. I found the Senns to be a wider stage, but it’s more spread out in front of you, like you’re sitting a few rows back. I think there’s slightly more textural information in the Verite, you can hear more rosin on the bow as it were - but both Senn and Verite are great at that.

Verite and HD800 are actually kind of similar to me, but Senn is the light side and ZMF is the dark side. In terms of musical enjoyment, Atrium is great for electrified stuff, classic rock and the like. Verite and HD800S cover similar genres, anything acoustic. HD800S is the best I’ve heard for orchestral, but Verite produces the best violin I’ve heard. Verite does a little better with harder genres like speedy abrasive metal.

Hopefully that helps. This post ended up being…a lot longer than I expected :)

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #8,695 of 8,697
hd800s is great on everything. i got no idea about zmf or atrium comparisons. hd800s has all the bass, imagery, space one could want. its not perfect but it scales like a machine. If your not getting it, its the rig or your preferences

Apr 28, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #8,696 of 8,697
Used my HD800S for 2 years in a row as daily driver. When I wanted more viscerous bass, I discovered ChiFi. Problem solved.

But damn, the HD800S gives me the experience that no IEM can provide though.

But good luck for the folks seeking to find the all-in-one experience.
pelezera-wiping-mouth.gif

Apr 28, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #8,697 of 8,697
Used my HD800S for 2 years in a row as daily driver. When I wanted more viscerous bass, I discovered ChiFi. Problem solved.

But damn, the HD800S gives me the experience that no IEM can provide though.

But good luck for the folks seeking to find the all-in-one experience.
Well, it doesn't seem to be all that difficult nowadays. Neumann/Sennheiser have created the NDH 30 which offers a tremendous combination of musicality/enjoyment with very high resolution, accuracy, balance and pinpoint positioning. Definitely worth a serious listening for anyone seeking the all-in-one experience. Not the best headphone in the world but certainly up there with the best dynamics offered today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back