Sennheiser HD800 Certificate for Frequency Response Arrived
Jun 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #302 of 746
um a quick question. if i wanted to buy used HD800, should i try and pick  a particular serial number range for the "best" tuning? most common problem seems to be people dont' like the treble on it.

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #303 of 746
Quote:
um a quick question. if i wanted to buy used HD800, should i try and pick  a particular serial number range for the "best" tuning? most common problem seems to be people dont' like the treble on it.

I saw it written that HD 800 treble 'issues' have been resolved in all the post ~#1000 serial-numbered HD 800's.

With my #28xx HD 800 I'm finding that an aftermarket cable such as the Moon Audio Black Dragon - in tandem with moderate volume listening - tames the excess brightness of the stock-cabled HD 800. It sounds fantastic! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #304 of 746
I saw it written that HD 800 treble 'issues' have been resolved in all the post ~#1000 serial-numbered HD 800's.

With my #28xx HD 800 I'm finding that an aftermarket cable such as the Moon Audio Black Dragon - in tandem with moderate volume listening - tames the excess brightness of the stock-cabled HD 800. It sounds fantastic! :)

I thought about getting an after-market cable, but the situation is complicated by the fact that there's more variability between my tracks (which range from pop and punk to reggae and ska) due to genre than the headphones themselves. I get the feeling that I'd have the same feeling no matter what headphone I use.

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #305 of 746
Quote:
I thought about getting an after-market cable, but the situation is complicated by the fact that there's more variability between my tracks (which range from pop and punk to reggae and ska) due to genre than the headphones themselves. I get the feeling that I'd have the same feeling no matter what headphone I use.

I listen to many different genres/tracks and am finding that re-cabling the HD 800 has made my overall listening experience with the HD 800 much more enjoyable. The BD cable tames the treble and fills out the bass region; that and Amarra Hifi are much more satisfying to me than the stock-cabled HD 800.

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #306 of 746

There's a lot of speculation about which is the golden batch, but honestly it's a crapshoot. In any case the response would be off by at most a couple db.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #307 of 746
I listen to many different genres/tracks and am finding that re-cabling the HD 800 has made my overall listening experience with the HD 800 much more enjoyable. The BD cable tames the treble and fills out the bass region; that and Amarra Hifi are much more satisfying to me than the stock-cabled HD 800.

I hadn't been aware of the Amarra software, and the fact that it's available for the Mac is a treat. I downloaded the free trial - and as you promised, there are some significant changes in the sound. Considerably richer bass, unquestionably. I don't want to weigh in on the software, because the listener should make the decision. I'm still weighing the value of a cable upgrade, though more discussion here would be helpful. :confused_face_2:

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #308 of 746
Is just e-mailing to Sennheiser enough to request the certificate? My pair is 16xxx btw, and I feel no harshness in the upper mids and highs at all. No surprise perhaps, for a DT880/600, ER4S and TF10 user. 

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #309 of 746
My HD800 Diffuse Field FR is as shown.  The HF is OK to my ears but I have also made the mod just in case.

I also replaced the stock cable with Oyaide cable and it really sounds wonderful. See this link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618464/the-very-first-oyaide-pcocc-a-headphone-cable-for-senn-hd800

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #311 of 746
So how do we go about getting the FR graph, anyone have a link?

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #314 of 746

Users who are viewing this thread

Back