Sennheiser HD800 Certificate for Frequency Response Arrived
Jul 18, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #166 of 746
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am almost 100% sure IPodPJ runs his HD800 balanced using his Phoenix, as he has recommended this to me, and indicates it has a significant impact on the HD800's bass performance. I am hopeful that my Phoenix review unit will come while I still have the HD800, but I will only be able to try it single ended, as I have no balanced cabled for the HD800.

What would be fascinating is if someone could MEASURE a pair of balanced and unbalanced HD800's and compare the differences (**KIDDING**)

Check out my recent post in the Phoenix thread. As good as the bass is with the HD800 on the Phoenix, I was actually disappointed that the Phoenix did not have the bass impact of the balanced B22. That is, until I tried hooking up my DAC single ended into the Phoenix and using my balanced HD800 on the output. I'm not sure why this is but it sounds much better this way. The bass has tons of impact, has more detail and overall there is greater transparency. Perhaps the XLR connectors on the Phoenix are poor quality. I plan on replacing them eventually and hopefully this will make a difference. But right now there really is no need as the combo is just the best dynamic rig I've ever heard. (See my signature for full gear listing.)

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #167 of 746
Quote:

Originally Posted by raccoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I look forward to reading your review of the Phoenix. It's between the Phoenix and Phonitor for me at this point. If you favour the Phoenix, that will be the tipping point for me. Although right now I'm leaning towards the Phonitor.

Had the Phonitor here for 4 days. The Phonitor is great but the Phoenix is a far superior amp, and is also a very high-end preamp.

I also have ordered a custom Reference One DAC which should be here in about 2 more weeks. I'm very curious to hear 1) if and how much better it will be than the modded DL3, and 2) how much of a difference the CAST inputs make over XLR or SE.

Jul 18, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #168 of 746
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had the Phonitor here for 4 days. The Phonitor is great but the Phoenix is a far superior amp, and is also a very high-end preamp.

I also have ordered a custom Reference One DAC which should be here in about 2 more weeks. I'm very curious to hear 1) if and how much better it will be than the modded DL3, and 2) how much of a difference the CAST inputs make over XLR or SE.

I've been reading the Phoenix thread and I don't like how some people (I think you are one of them) that mention that it takes 3 or 4 hours of warm-up time to get it to its full potential. Also the heat it generates concerns me. Does the Phonitor run cooler than the Phoenix?

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #169 of 746
I'm sorry you don't like that we mention that. Should we tell you it runs at sub-zero temperatures?
tongue.gif

The Phonitor has practically no heat from what I can recall but it's also an op-amp based design. It has a very nice soundstage but not a ton of impact; it doesn't have much balls with the HD800. The only high-end SS amps I've heard that do are the Phoenix and the balanced B22.

The warm-up is a pain in the ass, I must admit. That bothers me a lot more than the heat. Many people leave Class-A gear on all the time for this reason. But Class-A gets hot. Some days it gets very warm and other days it just gets really hot.

You have to make a compromise. You get a hell of a lot for the price of the Phoenix. Nothing even comes close in its price range. Nothing at all. If you were going to spend $2000 you'd be crazy to buy a Phonitor before buying a balanced B22. The B22 eats it for breakfast.

Jul 19, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #170 of 746
Quote:

Originally Posted by raccoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading the Phoenix thread and I don't like how some people (I think you are one of them) that mention that it takes 3 or 4 hours of warm-up time to get it to its full potential. Also the heat it generates concerns me. Does the Phonitor run cooler than the Phoenix?

I have the same problem with my x can v8,so now i leave it on all the time(it does not have an on/off switch anyway)

Jul 19, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #171 of 746
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry you don't like that we mention that. Should we tell you it runs at sub-zero temperatures?
tongue.gif

The Phonitor has practically no heat from what I can recall but it's also an op-amp based design. It has a very nice soundstage but not a ton of impact; it doesn't have much balls with the HD800. The only high-end SS amps I've heard that do are the Phoenix and the balanced B22.

The warm-up is a pain in the ass, I must admit. That bothers me a lot more than the heat. Many people leave Class-A gear on all the time for this reason. But Class-A gets hot. Some days it gets very warm and other days it just gets really hot.

You have to make a compromise. You get a hell of a lot for the price of the Phoenix. Nothing even comes close in its price range. Nothing at all. If you were going to spend $2000 you'd be crazy to buy a Phonitor before buying a balanced B22. The B22 eats it for breakfast.

Thanks for the response. I should've said I'm glad people mention the 3-4 hour warm-up time since I would've ordered it had it not been mentioned. Poor wording on my part.

I have no doubt that the Phoenix sounds fantastic, but with that warm-up period I would really only be able to enjoy it on the weekends. And I'd have to crank up the central A/C it sounds like as well, which wouldn't be fair to everybody else in the house
biggrin.gif

That's a good point about the B22 being a better value than the Phonitor.

Maybe I should just get a Lehman Black Cube
eek.gif

...or a Luxman P-1
eek.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #172 of 746
I've observed the warm-up period every day for almost a full month now, it's not that bad actually. Some may prefer to listen during the first 3 hours of warm-up because once it's all warmed up it replaces the wishy washy sound with a dead-serious sound and transparency which is less forgiving on certain things.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #173 of 746
I caved and ordered the Luxman P-1 from Japan. Hopefully I'll have enough money left over to pay for the electricity bill for the amp.

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #178 of 746
normal_smile .gif
Graph came in yesterday, here it is:

Frequency-Response-Chart_2.jpg

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #179 of 746
My characteristics for SN 1392 (Bought in Poland)

hd800cert2.jpg

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #180 of 746
Here is mine, although it's most likely reflecting the reality as I got the headphone recabled. It took just 6 days since I registered on the site...

scansione002.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back