Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jan 28, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #6,391 of 6,607
Quote:

I use a 45-based amp for speakers.  It takes 2A3s as well but I prefer the sound of the 45 -- especially the globes.  45s are overall more magical than the 2A3s, a tad less coltish, with a more balanced, ethereal mid-range and deeper, more articulated bass.  The 45 has a unique ability to shine a light around the music.  I am very interested in this new EC amp.  Do you know if it's just 4 45s, meaning a 45 driving a 45 for each channel? That would make it the holy grail of headphone amps in my book -- all DHT all the time...

Don't really know anymore details.  The proto has not been made yet.  It may be a proto for the upcoming LA meet.  We'll have to wait and see.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #6,392 of 6,607
Quote:
I have to disagree, if the power supply quality is bad and it fluctuates then the performance of the hardware will be sub par. This is from personal experience in many locations that I lived in, including studios, etc. A 100$ surge preventer/power conditioner will in most cases solve any hum issues and filter out hums. More expensive conditioners will not only filter but try to adjust a stable output to hardware.

It depends on what conditioner you have. Do you use a surge protector at the moment?

I don't think so... 

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #6,395 of 6,607
Having just purchased a used Graham Slee SOLO headamp for another system I joined up to discuss items on their board and spotted a thread on the HD800 so put in a post:

http://audio-forum.gspaudio.co.uk/sennheiser-hd800_topic913_page10.html

Wow, did that stir things with Graham Lee.  If interested, please have a look at what he says about the HD800 and put some comments here on what you think about his view!  One Head-fier has commented to me he could be right.  But then again he might not be.

John

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #6,396 of 6,607
Quote:
Having just purchased a used Graham Slee SOLO headamp for another system I joined up to discuss items on their board and spotted a thread on the HD800 so put in a post:

Wow, did that stir things with Graham Lee.  If interested, please have a look at what he says about the HD800 and put some comments here on what you think about his view!  One Head-fier has commented to me he could be right.  But then again he might not be.

John

Correction Grahjam Slee!!

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #6,397 of 6,607
Quote:

John

Seem like he not an HD800 fan. I think they sound great with both the V200 amp and also my CSP2 tube amp. I also disagree about it being a digital headphone. it plays the recording like it was recorded whether its vinyl or digital. If the recording is bad it will let you know it if it is a great recording it will reward you also.  It his forum and I guess he entitled to his opinion as well but I disagree with the digital part. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #6,398 of 6,607
Quote:
Has anyone found a nice travel case for the HD800's?

Look in my photos for the right Pelican case # which is same size as the Audeze case but tapered. 

I lined the inside of the case with Self-Adhesive Creatology Foam.  (It keeps the HD800 warmer and does not allow the peaks to build up while transporting them.
wink_face.gif
)

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #6,399 of 6,607
Nice! Thanks, I'm going to have to do that.

The HD800 world would be a brighter place without creatology foam and colorware.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #6,400 of 6,607
I'm interested since I use my HD800s on a Graham Slee Solo SRG. But most of what's in that thread is way over my head. The HD800s have a "very slight 'plasticky' sound" on his amps?

I've been enjoying these headphones with the Solo. Maybe a year from now I'd like to buy a good tube amp, like the Woo WA2, but I'm not hearing any serious flaws right now.

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #6,402 of 6,607
Quote:

Please elaborate more.

It is a little known fact that one of Sennheiser's achievements with the HD800 was to source the neodymium for the magnet from a specific rare earth mineral ore in China which includes a mix of several other elements undergoing radioactive decay. The radiactive nuclei of these elements emit electrons through beta decay at such a rate that, in Senn's magnet implementation of the magnet structure, there's a greater magnetic flux density. Now don't worry, the magnet's far enough from human tissue that there's only a negligible risk of mitochondrial DNA damage and the half-life is in the centuries, so performance should remain relatively constant throughout the HD800's lifetime use. Creatology foam and colorware's matte paint are commonly used mods to absorb some of this radiation, which is composed of both electrons and photons, hence "less bright". Sorry for the pun :)

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #6,403 of 6,607
Quote:

It is a little known fact that one of Sennheiser's achievements with the HD800 was to source the neodymium for the magnet from a specific rare earth mineral ore in China which includes a mix of several other elements undergoing radioactive decay. The radiactive nuclei of these elements emit electrons through beta decay at such a rate that, in Senn's magnet implementation of the magnet structure, there's a greater magnetic flux density. Now don't worry, the magnet's far enough from human tissue that there's only a negligible risk of mitochondrial DNA damage and the half-life is in the centuries, so performance should remain relatively constant throughout the HD800's lifetime use. Creatology foam and colorware's matte paint are commonly used mods to absorb some of this radiation, which is composed of both electrons and photons, hence "less bright". Sorry for the pun :)

Ah,  by less bright I guessing you mean the "bright treble"?  That's very interesting.  I ask because I'm expecting a pair from coloware next week but with the glossy paint.  

Um - you called this a mod, so I guess it subjectively provides a tamer treble?

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #6,404 of 6,607
Yup, at least that's what I heard with the matte. Interested in finding out on how the glossy sounds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back