Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jan 29, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #6,406 of 6,607
I'm open to the possibility. Personally I'd like to evaluate a range of paint mods and get some measurements drawn up. At the top of the wish list is leaded paint, though I hear that could be dangerous. I'll make sure to wear gloves.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #6,407 of 6,607
Quote:

It is a little known fact that one of Sennheiser's achievements with the HD800 was to source the neodymium for the magnet from a specific rare earth mineral ore in China which includes a mix of several other elements undergoing radioactive decay. The radiactive nuclei of these elements emit electrons through beta decay at such a rate that, in Senn's magnet implementation of the magnet structure, there's a greater magnetic flux density. Now don't worry, the magnet's far enough from human tissue that there's only a negligible risk of mitochondrial DNA damage and the half-life is in the centuries, so performance should remain relatively constant throughout the HD800's lifetime use. Creatology foam and colorware's matte paint are commonly used mods to absorb some of this radiation, which is composed of both electrons and photons, hence "less bright". Sorry for the pun :)

blink.gif

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #6,409 of 6,607
Quote:
I'm open to the possibility. Personally I'd like to evaluate a range of paint mods and get some measurements drawn up. At the top of the wish list is leaded paint, though I hear that could be dangerous. I'll make sure to wear gloves.

My childhood friend works at Oskarshamn CLAB facility, where all swedish radioactive rest products are stored. Want me to check if he has any Geiger meters for measuring pre- and post-mod?

So happy that someone's found a way to tame the HD800 treble!!1!!

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #6,410 of 6,607
Quote:

A little doubtful they'd used lead white paint this days, especially as it is from US.....mostly likely chemical based aqualic. Whichever way, seems an excellent idea as HD800 can get scratch easily, plus it looks so cool :)

Jan 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #6,412 of 6,607
Quote:

It is a little known fact that one of Sennheiser's achievements with the HD800 was to source the neodymium for the magnet from a specific rare earth mineral ore in China which includes a mix of several other elements undergoing radioactive decay. The radiactive nuclei of these elements emit electrons through beta decay at such a rate that, in Senn's magnet implementation of the magnet structure, there's a greater magnetic flux density. Now don't worry, the magnet's far enough from human tissue that there's only a negligible risk of mitochondrial DNA damage and the half-life is in the centuries, so performance should remain relatively constant throughout the HD800's lifetime use. Creatology foam and colorware's matte paint are commonly used mods to absorb some of this radiation, which is composed of both electrons and photons, hence "less bright". Sorry for the pun :)

lordy me 
eek.gif
 someone who knows the headphone inside out. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #6,413 of 6,607
Interesting thanks anetode.

However no one has commented on Graham Slee's (got it spelled correctly at last) comments on his site about phase "problems" with the HD800 and his denigration of digital filtering. The man is obviously a knowledgeable engineer but like the rest of us has firm opinions on things. (His extreme love of vinyl does suggest a bias against digital).

Note he DOES like the HD800 but claims they were made to fit only certain electonics so that others with a differing phasing situation might not suit.

I guess that is not so way out as the synergy between components has often been observed with no clear reason why two components, each individually highly regarded, do not seem to work together as one would expect.  Sort of makes putting a system together successfully a bit of black magic.  And there is the further complication I've commented on before, and that is that no two brains with attached ears react with the same so individual tastes/preferences whatever so there can never be universal agreement about how good/bad or skewed any component causes the audio to end up.

But I love my HD800s regardless of radioactivity, "flawed" treble (which it is not for these ears), .....

John

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #6,414 of 6,607
I found to get a truly neutral sound you have to snap the headband (with exactly 0.452 of the total going to the left side), place them 2.12m apart and use them as studio monitors. 
But only if you've spent £15k on acoustic dampening for the room and have a burlap sack over your head. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #6,415 of 6,607
Quote:
I found to get a truly neutral sound you have to snap the headband (with exactly 0.452 of the total going to the left side), place them 2.12m apart and use them as studio monitors. 
But only if you've spent £15k on acoustic dampening for the room and have a burlap sack over your head. 

Piercing eardrum with a needle works too.

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #6,416 of 6,607
Someone pointed out that I might be the only one to see my images (on my profile page) of the Pelican 1300 in flight with a baby HD800 swaddled in Creatology Foam.

So you don't have to comb through hundreds of pages:

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #6,418 of 6,607
^Nope- height is perfect.  The 1300 without the breakaway foam but with Creatology lining the sides of the case fits exactly.

The 1300 is the same size as the case that is used by Audeze, but they source from a case supplier down the street from them and also their case does not taper at all.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #6,419 of 6,607
Quote:

My childhood friend works at Oskarshamn CLAB facility, where all swedish radioactive rest products are stored. Want me to check if he has any Geiger meters for measuring pre- and post-mod?

Sure.

I only hope I don't interfere with the measurements. You see I was in Ukraine a couple hundred miles away when Chernobyl went off, so I worry about residual radiation in my body messing up the results. At family gatherings in the old country I bet you wouldn't even need to plug the HD800s in with all the radiant energy in the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back