Sennheiser HD800 Appreciation Thread
Jan 27, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #6,362 of 6,607
Woo Audio 2 
wink.gif

awesome pairing with the HD 800

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #6,363 of 6,607
Been listining to my 800's for the last few days.Definatly a keeper.
no problems with the treble what so ever.i dont find it harsh at all. not like the k701.bass is great as well,perfect quantity and quality. not as overpowered,bloated to some degree like the lcd2.but im not a fan of the lcd2 since i think there are major shortcomings in its sound especially in treble,resolution and soundstage.i had hd650 for a year and thought it was better than the audeze due to its more coherent sound.

my only criticism thus far with the 800's is soundstage depth. its wider than deeper which can be a bit distracting on some materials. but then again,i think that will be resolved once i build the b22 in few months.
overall,very happy with my purchase.

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #6,364 of 6,607
^^^^^ Agreed. :wink: Probably out of his budget though. Maybe a Woo 6?

-Daniel

I've looked at the Zana Deux before but it's a bit pricey. Is the Wa6 good enough for the HD 800s?

WA2 looks nice too but being an OTL amp it may not do well with low impedance cans, and therefore limiting use of different headphones. But sound wise, how do the wa6 and wa2 compare?

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #6,365 of 6,607
the WA6 is enough for the HD 800, some ppl love it with the hd 800,  though some people find it lacking still. i haven't personally heard it though.

the WA2 is much better, it doesn't work with low impedance for me (clipping past half volume, low volume level unless using low gain tubes) or for some other members here, but most members here seem to have no problem with their WA2, most people find it does great with low impedance and even harder to drive stuff like K701, HE-500, and LCD-2

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #6,366 of 6,607
I have a Musical Fidelity M1HPA right now and I'm looking for something at a similar price range.

I have found my 800s to be very sensitive to source as well as amp... What other Dacs gave you considered/tried?

Best

James

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #6,367 of 6,607
Quote:
I have found my 800s to be very sensitive to source as well as amp... What other Dacs gave you considered/tried?

Best

James

I have very limited chances to try out different sources in my chain and even more limited budget. My DAC is a DIY, PCM2707 and a very high performing tentlabs clock. But I really hear no difference between it with the M1, and driving the cans directly out of my iPad. Volume is higher but the sound is identical. Very disappointing but that may just be the "truth" behind hi-fi. That's for another thread though :wink: 

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #6,368 of 6,607
Totally loving my HD800 amped with the Violectric V200. Can't wait to get the V800 DAC and be done with my audio quest.I might get teh LCD-2 someday but seeing as I am extremely happy with my current setup, it might not get one. Depends on the difference in sound signature but I can't prelisten the LCD-2 anywhere over here so I might just skip on this.

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #6,369 of 6,607
One quick question though, how well does the sound improve with a custom cable on the HD800? Really worth that much money?

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #6,370 of 6,607
Quote:
Totally loving my HD800 amped with the Violectric V200. Can't wait to get the V800 DAC and be done with my audio quest.I might get teh LCD-2 someday but seeing as I am extremely happy with my current setup, it might not get one. Depends on the difference in sound signature but I can't prelisten the LCD-2 anywhere over here so I might just skip on this.

The LCD-2 and the HD800s have a totally different sound signature.  Lucky for you it's said many times the V200 pairs very well with both.  I think the LCD-2 would be a perfect compliment for the HD800s in your system.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #6,372 of 6,607
Would you go with the V200 or the WA6SE for the HD 800s?

Of the three amps recently discussed, I would rank them with the HD800 as follows: 1. WA2. 2. V200. 3. WA6SE.

Of course, it kind of depends on what your objective is. I like tube amps that take just a bit of the shimmer off the top of the Senns. You may want the opposite. The WA2 is highly dependent on tube choice, meaning you can dial it in as you want. It's also excellent with some low-impedance cans, though it with all (great with Grados, not so much with Denons).

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #6,373 of 6,607
Quote:
Of the three amps recently discussed, I would rank them with the HD800 as follows: 1. WA2. 2. V200. 3. WA6SE.

Of course, it kind of depends on what your objective is. I like tube amps that take just a bit of the shimmer off the top of the Senns. You may want the opposite. The WA2 is highly dependent on tube choice, meaning you can dial it in as you want. It's also excellent with some low-impedance cans, though it with all (great with Grados, not so much with Denons).

I want to keep the large, open, precise sound of the HD 800s but I want more bass and midrange body (I don't consider the HD 800 neutral here, so I want enough warmth to make them sound natural, not overly fleshy) and like you take off a bit of that top-end shimmer. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #6,374 of 6,607
Been listining to my 800's for the last few days.Definatly a keeper.
no problems with the treble what so ever.i dont find it harsh at all. not like the k701.bass is great as well,perfect quantity and quality. not as overpowered,bloated to some degree like the lcd2.but im not a fan of the lcd2 since i think there are major shortcomings in its sound especially in treble,resolution and soundstage.i had hd650 for a year and thought it was better than the audeze due to its more coherent sound.

my only criticism thus far with the 800's is soundstage depth. its wider than deeper which can be a bit distracting on some materials. but then again,i think that will be resolved once i build the b22 in few months.
overall,very happy with my purchase.

I had a WA6 for a while with my HD800. Got a new amp and it was nearly a new headphone. WA6 doesn't do it justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back