Sennheiser HD700 Review
Aug 23, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #166 of 233
New input: Switched to my Meridian Explorer DAC today. Normally I almost always use the ODAC as the Explorer sounds colored in comparison (imo), but this coloration is giving the HD-700 a push in the right direction. Been listening a couple of hours now and it sounds quite OK actually, more balanced. (Amp = V100)

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #167 of 233
  New input: Switched to my Meridian Explorer DAC today. Normally I almost always use the ODAC as the Explorer sounds colored in comparison (imo), but this coloration is giving the HD-700 a push in the right direction. Been listening a couple of hours now and it sounds quite OK actually, more balanced. (Amp = V100)

Also considering this setup. I have the Explorer already and seriously considering the HD700.

However, checking the spec sheets, the Meridian spec sheet quotes 130mW into 16Ω, while the HD700 states nominal impedence of 150 Ω.

Does this present any issues with the Senns being underdriven?

Thanks in advance

****Just noticed you run the Explorer into a seperate amp?

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #168 of 233
HD700 should be fine with ME. All you need is a few milliwatts to blow out your ears with the HD700. They are efficient headphones. You can get an external amp later if necessary.

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #169 of 233
Thanks for the fast reply. 

Popping over to Hong Kong next month, hoping to pick up a bargain.

My current setup of iBasso D2 and Denon D2000s are starting to get a little long in the tooth.

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #170 of 233
  I can't take this thread serious at all. the FR graph at headphone.com for the HD700 is totally different than the one shown here and it has no huge spike at 5kHz at all,not to mention,other differences. in fact,it follows the HD800 2013 very closely.

until proven otherwise,this entire thread is bogus.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #171 of 233
One can make the statement "until proven otherwise...is bogus" about anything :rolleyes:

The headphone gear seller headphone.com should be taken seriously because...?

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #172 of 233
    I can't take this thread serious at all. the FR graph at headphone.com for the HD700 is totally different than the one shown here and it has no huge spike at 5kHz at all,not to mention,other differences. in fact,it follows the HD800 2013 very closely.

until proven otherwise,this entire thread is bogus.

Different measurement methods will yield different results. Did you see the measurement at Inner Fidelity?http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD700.pdf

Here are the graphs lined up (20Hz with 20Hz and 20kHz with 20kHz). Not exactly the same, but similar. Those who are familiar with taking measurements know how difficult it is to get consistency and how the last octave measurements can be really problematic.

BTW, it should be "I can't take this thread seriously ...", not "I can't take this thread serious ..."

Also, you should use a space after commas and capitalize the first word of every sentence.

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #173 of 233
  thanks for pointing out that your graff is massively flawed,i agree. thank you.

yes ,you can easily sea that the bigger treble peek is 7 dB higher(in relaition to the base) then the one headroom chows and thanks for showeng that the headroom graff is much more similer to the one at inerfidelity. that's a big ,notisable differense compaird to yours. it's also much less presise with the rest of the treble then the other tw o.

thanks.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #175 of 233
    thanks for pointing out that your graff is massively flawed,i agree. thank you.

yes ,you can easily sea that the bigger treble peek is 7 dB higher(in relaition to the base) then the one headroom chows and thanks for showeng that the headroom graff is much more similer to the one at inerfidelity. that's a big ,notisable differense compaird to yours. it's also much less presise with the rest of the treble then the other tw o.

thanks

The peak on my graph is 5.5k and 3db higher if using the flat plateau at 200-300Hz at the reference. The IF graph is at 6.5k and 0db from the plateau. From null to peak, my graph is 15db. The IF graph is 13db. I'd say that's pretty close. The HR graph is quite dissimilar (from both the IF and my graph) in that it lacks a the second peak at 10k. The HR graph also appears to be smoothed over - probably 1/3 octave - and that tends to obfuscate peaks and nulls.

But anyways, as I've indicated, the differences are mainly because of difference in measurement rigs and compensations. I've always made clear that my graphs do not provide an absolute representation of what's going on - that they should never be compared with graphs from Headroom, Innerfidelity, etc. - that they should be used in a relative sense in comparison to my other measurements.

Finally, I would take graphs as another data point into consideration. Even John Atkinson of Stereophile (measurement guy extraodinaire) has said measurements lie. From my own subjective point of view, the HD700 sounds worse than what any of the graphs would indicate. The HD700s have a sucked out midrange and extremely painful treble with any sort of rock or popular music.

If there's anything which is bogus, it's you dude.
(I doubt you get the reference below. You were probably in diapers or probably did not exist.)

Either way whether I'm bogus or you are bogus, it's moot. The review is really old. The HD700 isn't selling well and there are rumors are Senn may kill it.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #176 of 233
  using the bass as a reference point and comparing HRs with yours,their peak is below the bass,yours is above it. the difference is about 7 dBs. at least innerfidelity is much closer. yours is totally off.

I find that 3-4 dbs in almost any FR can make a very noticeable difference. 7 dBs is huge. your graph is extremely misleading.

also,judging by your many post here that I have read and by your avatar,you are much closer to the last time either one of us wore diapers.

BTW,that movie is of my generation and I paid with my own money(that I earned) to see it with several of my friends. Transformers movie is probably closer to yours.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #177 of 233
Settle down, kids.

I hate to say it, but graphs don't mean diddley s**t to me. I audition and trust my ears. I'm a fan of the HD 700. A lot. Some people hate them and that's ok too. They aren't worth $1,000 as I've stated many times. But I got mine for significantly less, and can be had now for ~$600 which is much more competitive.

Honestly most everything I've read here was a turn off, until I got to demo them at home and I was hooked. I see more and more praise for these now that they are getting into listeners hands.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #178 of 233
Settle down, kids.

I hate to say it, but graphs don't mean diddley s**t to me. I audition and trust my ears. I'm a fan of the HD 700. A lot. Some people hate them and that's ok too. They aren't worth $1,000 as I've stated many times. But I got mine for significantly less, and can be had now for ~$600 which is much more competitive.

Honestly most everything I've read here was a turn off, until I got to demo them at home and I was hooked. I see more and more praise for these now that they are getting into listeners hands.

Bingo I echo exactly what you have said Many times. Let your own ears decide not what a graph or someone on the net said
for you, I certainly didn't and damn glad I had a listen for myself.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #179 of 233
    using the bass as a reference point and comparing HRs with yours,their peak is below the bass,yours is above it. the difference is about 7 dBs. at least innerfidelity is much closer. yours is totally off.

I find that 3-4 dbs in almost any FR can make a very noticeable difference. 7 dBs is huge. your graph is extremely misleading.

also,judging by your many post here that I have read and by your avatar,you are much closer to the last time either one of us wore diapers.

BTW,that movie is of my generation and I paid with my own money(that I earned) to see it with several of my friends. Transformers movie is probably closer to yours.

I think the point which seems to be lost upon you is that measurements need to be compared relative to others using the same methods and compensations. The HR, IF, and my measurements utilize different systems. If you've been around for a while, you will have noticed that measurements from HR, IF, Goldenears, Sonove, Rinchoi, etc. are all different. I don't think any of them, including mine, are correct in absolute terms. I'm not sure if you really comprehend the meaning between relative and absolute. I've said time and time again, that taken in an absolute sense, my measurements may not be reliable.

The fact is, if you compare the HD700 measurements here relative to the HD650 or HE500, the HD700 is peakier measuring and peakier sounding in the treble. Some people like this, others don't. Some people find the HD700 too aggressive with certain recordings. Some people find the HD650 or HE500 too laid back overall.

Measurements are just a tool, and ultimately you need to use your ears.

Yes. Transformers: The Movie was definitely my generation. I can't stand Michael Bay, although I liked The Island.

P.S. Speaking with a few others, there's a possibility that Senn may have changed the formulation of the HD700 since my measurement (my measurement was from one of the earliest pairs.) This is not atypical as the HD650 has changed over time without any formal announcements from Senn.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #180 of 233

P.S. Speaking with a few others, there's a possibility that Senn may have changed the formulation of the HD700 since my measurement (my measurement was from one of the earliest pairs.) This is not atypical as the HD650 has changed over time without any formal announcements from Senn.

I think so, too.  Based on my experience with three different HD700s.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back