Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 23, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #5,986 of 9,618
Romania !? It seems to be a popular place to manufacture headphones. Meze is there and Drop has allocated its production of phones there.

thanks
good thing, I just found a store after all that has a HD800S that I may try -- the king of vocals?
I do not want to discredit manufacturing in Romania at all it is only much cheaper and fully automated vs hand manufacturing the HD800 in Germany.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #5,987 of 9,618
I am in the same place i listen some other headphones but in the end.
HD650 for smooth relaxed sound
HD660s for energetic more fun sound
HD599 for gaming and movies
These are the 3 headphones that are always on my desk stand ready to use.

Thumbs up. Have you also tried to insert the HD-600 into your mix lately? It's my favorite currently, with the 660s close behind.

May 23, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #5,989 of 9,618
Hmm, the HD 6 series may be the kings of vocals, but for many (on the right setup) the HD 800 S is remarkably transparent (in the sense that it feels like there isn’t anything between you and the music, very realistic). You may form your own opinion though... @ me on the HD 800 S discussion thread when you add your impressions, I’ll be curious to read your thoughts! If there is an opportunity to bring your own music (this can be rare, but bring a micro SD card if you can, maybe a DAP with a line out), Paul Simon and Diana Krall are great choices for a first listen. Oh, and HD Tracks has an absolutely stunning free sample playlist, including a really rich sounding but rare track from Chris Jones that you can’t stream on any service:
https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/5e3a2cddf16d7d09b9855526

Songs that shake you in your soul!

May 23, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #5,990 of 9,618
May 23, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #5,991 of 9,618
how does the hd660 compare to the hd650 in terms of its intimate sound signature?

i had the hd650 for 3 years then sold it and moved onto hd800s and lcd2f but one thing i've been missing is how intimate the sound of hd650 is.

so would like to find another pair that is similar to the hd650 but a bit more of an upgrade possibly while retaining that intimacy

May 23, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #5,992 of 9,618
how does the hd660 compare to the hd650 in terms of its intimate sound signature?

i had the hd650 for 3 years then sold it and moved onto hd800s and lcd2f but one thing i've been missing is how intimate the sound of hd650 is.

so would like to find another pair that is similar to the hd650 but a bit more of an upgrade possibly while retaining that intimacy

If anything I found the HD 660 S a bit more intimate in the vocals than the HD 650, I think the HD 660 S is exactly what you looking for. I would say it's more akin to the HD 600 in terms of intimacy. Very few headphones currently made are as intimate as the HD 6 series, most that I've heard that were as intimate or more intimate were vintage or modded pairs. Intimate mids were more common in the past.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #5,993 of 9,618
If anything I found the HD 660 S a bit more intimate in the vocals than the HD 650, I think the HD 660 S is exactly what you looking for. I would say it's more akin to the HD 600 in terms of intimacy. Very few headphones currently made are as intimate as the HD 6 series, most that I've heard that were as intimate or more intimate were vintage or modded pairs. Intimate mids were more common in the past.

Agreed...had 650, 600, and 'upgraded' to the 800.

Eventually got rid of the 800's; realized how much I missed both the 600's and now have the 660's and the 6XX's...enjoying both!

Don't miss the 800's
(which, to be fair, may have something to do with the Clear's) :wink:

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #5,994 of 9,618
Agreed...had 650, 600, and 'upgraded' to the 800.

Eventually got rid of the 800's; realized how much I missed both the 600's and now have the 660's and the 6XX's...enjoying both!

Don't miss the 800's
(which, to be fair, may have something to do with the Clear's) :wink:

yea i think ill have to get a 6xx due to the price for that sound signature again
i love the 800s - im a huge soundstage/resolution/imaging kinda guy

when i want the 'oomph' i resort to my lcd2f

i tried the clears - didnt quite like it, but mind you only had it on for 30mins or so?
tried my friends elear - i felt confused lol

May 24, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #5,996 of 9,618
yea i think ill have to get a 6xx due to the price for that sound signature again
i love the 800s - im a huge soundstage/resolution/imaging kinda guy

when i want the 'oomph' i resort to my lcd2f

i tried the clears - didnt quite like it, but mind you only had it on for 30mins or so?
tried my friends elear - i felt confused lol
Yeah...we all hear differently! Definitely like the Clears better than the 800's; haven't heard the 800S. Like LCDs for a little 'oomph' as well; went with the XC's though to keep the peace when closed cans are 'required' :wink:

May 24, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #5,997 of 9,618

It depends on the amp in use. For an appropriate tube amp, nothing can compare with the HD-650 for intimacy with vocals, as an example.

Don‘t get me wrong, I love my 660S as a general headphone, but intimacy doesn’t come to mind for those cans.

May 25, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #5,998 of 9,618
Hey People,
I mentioned that I’ve been sharing some posts to product managers at Sennheiser? Well, I have a correction from one of them. The drivers are made in Ireland (same factory as before), the tooling and enclosure parts come from a factory in Germany (same factory as before, and it’s just the final assembly that is done in Romania.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #5,999 of 9,618
Hey People,
I mentioned that I’ve been sharing some posts to product managers at Sennheiser? Well, I have a correction from one of them. The drivers are still made in Ireland, the tooling and enclosure parts actually still come from the same factory in Germany as always, and it’s just the final assembly that is done in Romania.

Nice, thanks for the details. At the end of the day it sounds great and that's what matters, but it's fun to have such insights.

Any insights as to what is in development? Anything new for the 6-series? 8-series?

May 25, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #6,000 of 9,618
Hey People,
I mentioned that I’ve been sharing some posts to product managers at Sennheiser? Well, I have a correction from one of them. The drivers are still made in Ireland, the tooling and enclosure parts actually still come from the same factory in Germany as always, and it’s just the final assembly that is done in Romania.

Share with them that they've done a fine job with the 660s! It's one of the first that's really nailed timbre real well, I've been searching for gear like this for quite some time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back