Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 22, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #5,971 of 9,628
I sold my 660s a while back. Got kinda bored with the sound and level of resolution. I started to miss the resolution I’d get from my Oriolus Mk2, which I had also sold. So I sold off the 660s to in part fund a purchase of the Oriolus Reborn, which is just a glorious iem. I do kinda miss the 660s though. It had something. I agree with the jack of all trades master of none thinking re the 660s. It just stopped giving me that wow factor after awhile. Now, everytime I put in the Reborns I get a chill from how amazing they sound. They are just crazy good with the Moon audio Black Dragon cable. Sometimes I wonder if I had purchased a Silver Dragon cable for the 660s if that would have taken it to a level of irreplaceability.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #5,972 of 9,628
ITs nice to know Sennheiser is getting feedback from us .
I was looking for a new HD700 headphone that I want to buy its really hard to find it , do u have any Europe links that is trusted ? thanks
Hmm, I don’t know off hand, I just know Sennheiser decided to discontinue it. They still sell the consumable parts and accessories (pads and cables), but you’ll just have to find some old stock.

One of the main things I don’t get with the HD660s is the 150 ohms.
150 Ohms is kind of a “sweet spot.” Far more amps can drive it well, but it still has enough dampening that it avoids impedance distortion issues with most amps. I would not be surprised to see more 150 Ω headphones from Sennheiser in the future.

May 22, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #5,973 of 9,628
In my opinion, you are completely wrong about the HD800S. It is a masterpiece and it is for sure not bass light. It goes deep in a flat way. The HD660S is very good, maybe the best of the HD6XX bunch, but the HD800S is a level beyond all of them. If you like it, if not your opinion is absolutely ok, but not a general truth, just a personal like mine.
Btw. The HD660S is mass produced now in Romania, the HD800S is handmade in Germany.

I haven't heard the HD800's but everything I've read about them says they are a bit on the trebly side. If they have more treble than the HD600's, it's too much, IMO.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #5,975 of 9,628
I sold my 660s a while back. Got kinda bored with the sound and level of resolution. I started to miss the resolution I’d get from my Oriolus Mk2, which I had also sold. So I sold off the 660s to in part fund a purchase of the Oriolus Reborn, which is just a glorious iem. I do kinda miss the 660s though. It had something. I agree with the jack of all trades master of none thinking re the 660s. It just stopped giving me that wow factor after awhile. Now, everytime I put in the Reborns I get a chill from how amazing they sound. They are just crazy good with the Moon audio Black Dragon cable. Sometimes I wonder if I had purchased a Silver Dragon cable for the 660s if that would have taken it to a level of irreplaceability.

Were they the Romania or Ireland version? I had both and my Ireland pair were better sounding. I used the Romania pair for a week exclusivly (which I liked) but when I went back to the Ireland pair, they just knocked my socks off. Maybe it has nothing to do with the different factories but if you had the Romania and you decide to get another pair some day, try and get the Ireland. (Preferbly made in 2018/19)

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #5,976 of 9,628
Were they the Romania or Ireland version? I had both and my Ireland pair were better sounding. I used the Romania pair for a week exclusivly (which I liked) but when I went back to the Ireland pair, they just knocked my socks off. Maybe it has nothing to do with the different factories but if you had the Romania and you decide to get another pair some day, try and get the Ireland. (Preferbly made in 2018/19)

@Evshrug posted earlier in the thread that the drivers are still made in Ireland, other parts and final assembly are just done in Romania. If your two versions actually sounded different, which is hard to say unless you were doing a blind test between them, it probably wasn't because of where they were made

May 22, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #5,977 of 9,628
thank you for sharing. It is indeed jaw drooping what you say but so valuable for us who struggle to find good sounding phones without having the opportunity to try them before purchase. I have listened to HD660s and I liked them alot, especially since I value mid, strings, piano and vocal performance the most. However, I went with Sundara instead based on many reviews without trying them first -- Sundaras was a hit or miss and I am in fact not that pleased with them and my search continues. I put HD800S on my short-list because of its performance despite the price, but thanks to your review I am considering removing it. My list: Aeon Flow RT, Deva, DT T5p.2, DT1990Pro,,,,
In my opinion, you are completely wrong about the HD800S. It is a masterpiece and it is for sure not bass light. It goes deep in a flat way. The HD660S is very good, maybe the best of the HD6XX bunch, but the HD800S is a level beyond all of them. If you like it, if not your opinion is absolutely ok, but not a general truth, just a personal like mine.
Btw. The HD660S is mass produced now in Romania, the HD800S is handmade in Germany.
IMO, the HD 800S is still worth a listen @MalinYamato, if you get the chance. Both the HD 650 and HD 800 were a surprise for me the first time I heard each, because I had gotten it into my head that they sounded a particular way based on reviews (the HD 650 was “dark, very colored and veiled, with muddy bass bleeding into mids but weak treble” and the HD 800 was “bass-shy and fatiguing in the treble”), but my actual experience with them was much more balanced than I expected (HD 650 surprised me with its detail retrieval and not overly resonant nor muddy sound, while the African chorus at the beginning of “Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes” obliterated my preconception that the HD 800 would have no body and no bass impact). You may still find the HD 660 S to suit your preferences, and I find it easy to enjoy for a long time, but @pietcux is right the HD 800S is a step up in sheer performance (like how the HD 6 series is a step above the HD 5 series). It may surprise you.

I sold my 660s a while back. Got kinda bored with the sound and level of resolution. [...] I agree with the jack of all trades master of none thinking re the 660s. It just stopped giving me that wow factor after awhile. Now, everytime I put in the Reborns I get a chill from how amazing they sound. They are just crazy good with the Moon audio Black Dragon cable. Sometimes I wonder if I had purchased a Silver Dragon cable for the 660s if that would have taken it to a level of irreplaceability.
I hear ya... some headphones just don’t have particular hype around one aspect that really makes that one thing stand out, and unfortunately that makes them less memorable. The “legendary” HD 598 (at least among gamers) and more recent HD 599 have a fairly noticeable dip in the upper midrange that makes them seem more laid back with a bigger soundstage (especially combined with the 15° driver angle), and the bass is also slightly more “full bodied” by having a tiny bit of blur around the low notes. This emphasis on soundstage and midbass might be more “mainstream” than audiophile (and when you’re making art, who is to say what is “correct?”), however it was very memorable and well loved. The HD 579, by contrast, was a little more flat, and though it was a new tuning for the price range it just didn’t capture people’s attention as much and it didn’t sell well, ending up being discontinued. I think the community might be ready for a more “reference” HD 500 series headphone some day, but Sennheiser will have to be clear about the appeal of such a model.

For me, the HD 650 is like Coca-Cola while other manufacturers go for a “Pepsi” experience. Pepsi would often beat Coke in taste tests because it was obviously sweeter and a bit more exciting. Coca Cola tried the “New Coke” flavor that was also sweeter, and though “Coke II” continued until 2002 (did you know that??), Coca Cola Classic was brought back after only one month away from shelves because people realized the original taste balanced better with a meal, and was easier to enjoy a whole can over a longer time drinking (Pepsi and New Coke were best sipping as a dessert). I have a few fun planars and some “fun” closed headphones, but after an hour or two, if I want to keep listening I end up switching to the HD 660 S or HD 650. The HD 660S is just a bit more energetic and charming from the start, but it’s still refined enough that I can listen for the long haul.

I’m amused at the idea that a pair of headphones might have a “vintage” like bottles of wine. But, as @HipHopScribe pointed out, I have a direct line to Sennheiser’s A-Team (Audiophile team) and they confirmed that the drivers are still made in the same Ireland factory as they have always been, to the same famously narrow tolerances as always. It’s possible there were some other factors at play, but anyway it’s cool you found something you enjoyed (and enjoyed the HD 660S enough to buy two!)

May 22, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #5,978 of 9,628
I haven't heard the HD800's but everything I've read about them says they are a bit on the trebly side. If they have more treble than the HD600's, it's too much, IMO.
Agree with this for the HD800...like the 6 series better

That said, haven't heard the HD800S.

May 22, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #5,979 of 9,628
@Evshrug posted earlier in the thread that the drivers are still made in Ireland, other parts and final assembly are just done in Romania. If your two versions actually sounded different, which is hard to say unless you were doing a blind test between them, it probably wasn't because of where they were made

I could tell the difference blind folded, no problem...they were that different. I'm not the first to claim this either. It's possible the materials sound different. I've already linked this, but this guy has pretty solid data on the Romania HD600's (material) sounding slightly different: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/hd600.171/page-15#post-293054

The Romania HD600 material is lighter so it only stands to reason that it could sound different. Not sure if the Romania 660's are lighter or not...they seemed as well made as the Ireland to me.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #5,980 of 9,628
I could tell the difference blind folded, no problem...they were that different. I'm not the first to claim this either. It's possible the materials sound different. I've already linked this, but this guy has pretty solid data on the Romania HD600's (material) sounding slightly different: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/hd600.171/page-15#post-293054

The Romania HD600 material is lighter so it only stands to reason that it could sound different. Not sure if the Romania 660's are lighter or not...they seemed as well made as the Ireland to me.
In the interest of NOT picking apart the efforts of someone else, suffice to say that he concluded with “I'm tentatively chalking up the differences in measurements to user error even though noticing subjective differences were the reason I investigated to begin with. MiniDSP EARS are a bit of a pain, haha.” I’d trust his ears over the microphone and graphs though, and a small difference probably was there for his two samples, but that probably came from the condition of the parts tested (both preowned before he got them, one dented then undented, years of use, etc).

I applaud his effort though.

May 22, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #5,981 of 9,628
Regardless in what you believe or disbelieve, Sennheiser is not consistent with their headphones. Just read the post by mmq2404, around March of this year. His Romania 660's have more treble than his friends Ireland pair. Same with mine...more treble (and less bass) on Romania.

May 22, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #5,982 of 9,628
3A3D9198-C711-4DFC-9A6C-8367BE377029.gif

I talked with Axel and other engineers who were responsible for designing the headphones and the enclosure redesign, and they said the acoustic design is the same and the drivers are still made the same way in the same place. They mainly put their efforts to whole new headphones, the enclosure redesign came about because the original tooling for the enclosure was finally approaching the end of its life, and they took the opportunity to change the exterior look. There’s no secret here and everything to gain by keeping it sounding the same.

Edit: Measurements and manufacturing consistency is a tricky subject, perhaps two separate subjects, but it is very interesting and perhaps there is an opportunity here to address it in an educational article.

At the end of the day though, I’m just glad you’re enjoying your headphone.

17050425-8C11-4F17-98DE-3378480633DC.jpeg

image credit: https://depositphotos.com/vector-images/olive-branch.html?qview=77478136

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #5,983 of 9,628
IMO, the HD 800S is still worth a listen @MalinYamato, if you get the chance. Both the HD 650 and HD 800 were a surprise for me the first time I heard each, because I had gotten it into my head that they sounded a particular way based on reviews (the HD 650 was “dark, very colored and veiled, with muddy bass bleeding into mids but weak treble” and the HD 800 was “bass-shy and fatiguing in the treble”), but my actual experience with them was much more balanced than I expected (HD 650 surprised me with its detail retrieval and not overly resonant nor muddy sound, while the African chorus at the beginning of “Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes” obliterated my preconception that the HD 800 would have no body and no bass impact). You may still find the HD 660 S to suit your preferences, and I find it easy to enjoy for a long time, but @pietcux is right the HD 800S is a step up in sheer performance (like how the HD 6 series is a step above the HD 5 series). It may surprise you.

I hear ya... some headphones just don’t have particular hype around one aspect that really makes that one thing stand out, and unfortunately that makes them less memorable. The “legendary” HD 598 (at least among gamers) and more recent HD 599 have a fairly noticeable dip in the upper midrange that makes them seem more laid back with a bigger soundstage (especially combined with the 15° driver angle), and the bass is also slightly more “full bodied” by having a tiny bit of blur around the low notes. This emphasis on soundstage and midbass might be more “mainstream” than audiophile (and when you’re making art, who is to say what is “correct?”), however it was very memorable and well loved. The HD 579, by contrast, was a little more flat, and though it was a new tuning for the price range it just didn’t capture people’s attention as much and it didn’t sell well, ending up being discontinued. I think the community might be ready for a more “reference” HD 500 series headphone some day, but Sennheiser will have to be clear about the appeal of such a model.

For me, the HD 650 is like Coca-Cola while other manufacturers go for a “Pepsi” experience. Pepsi would often beat Coke in taste tests because it was obviously sweeter and a bit more exciting. Coca Cola tried the “New Coke” flavor that was also sweeter, and though “Coke II” continued until 2002 (did you know that??), Coca Cola Classic was brought back after only one month away from shelves because people realized the original taste balanced better with a meal, and was easier to enjoy a whole can over a longer time drinking (Pepsi and New Coke were best sipping as a dessert). I have a few fun planars and some “fun” closed headphones, but after an hour or two, if I want to keep listening I end up switching to the HD 660 S or HD 650. The HD 660S is just a bit more energetic and charming from the start, but it’s still refined enough that I can listen for the long haul.

I’m amused at the idea that a pair of headphones might have a “vintage” like bottles of wine. But, as @HipHopScribe pointed out, I have a direct line to Sennheiser’s A-Team (Audiophile team) and they confirmed that the drivers are still made in the same Ireland factory as they have always been, to the same famously narrow tolerances as always. It’s possible there were some other factors at play, but anyway it’s cool you found something you enjoyed (and enjoyed the HD 660S enough to buy two!)

I am in the same place i listen some other headphones but in the end.
HD650 for smooth relaxed sound
HD660s for energetic more fun sound
HD599 for gaming and movies
These are the 3 headphones that are always on my desk stand ready to use.

May 23, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #5,985 of 9,628
Romania !? It seems to be a popular place to manufacture headphones. Meze is there and Drop has allocated its production of phones there.

thanks
good thing, I just found a store after all that has a HD800S that I may try -- the king of vocals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back