Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 14, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #5,941 of 9,627
Don't know if it helps you, they match up incredibly well balanced withe the WM1A and the Sennheiser HDVA600 also balanced. Same goes for the HD650 and HD800. Only the Senn amp can, if needed, go even louder.

Thanks for feedback, unfortunately i don't own those. Years ago i had some 595's ?? Can't be sure of the model number now & i loved them, before the days of balanced & that....do you have the Sony MDR-Z1R's to compare ? ( Which i own. )

May 14, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #5,942 of 9,627
... they match up incredibly well balanced with the WM1A ,,,

They sure do... I just posted my impressions of the pairing on the WM1A/Z thread.

May 15, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #5,945 of 9,627
Thanks for feedback, unfortunately i don't own those. Years ago i had some 595's ?? Can't be sure of the model number now & i loved them, before the days of balanced & that....do you have the Sony MDR-Z1R's to compare ? ( Which i own. )
I have the Z1R and Z7 to compare. But you cannot really compare the Sennheiser approach of sound reproduction with what Sony thinks is right in that regards. The Sennheisers stand for the sound most people like most of the time and Sony represents a niche of enjoyment for some people. I am in both camps and more... but again they are totally different.

May 15, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #5,946 of 9,627
May 18, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #5,947 of 9,627
I dont know if Sennheiser read forums , but their Service support is just AMAZING in my opinion , I had a small problem with my 660S pads ( the one side foam was flattened ) and they are not just respond to my mail in 1 day but they also wanted to take the old ones and give me new ones free . I didnt expect that :)
I got four of them to read this thread recently 👍🏻

How should I tune my hd660s? I have a fiio q5s, and it does offer allot of tuning options.
Season to taste?
I have a FiiO X7, which you might know is closely related to the Q5 and uses the same amp modules as the Q5 and Q5s. I have the medium power, single ended amp (AM2A), and I think the HD 650 and HD 660 S sound great with the default settings! A very rich and organic sound.

I like my ZX300 with my 150 Ω HD 660 S (balanced, very detailed and revealing), but it’s a little bit “off” sounding for the 300 Ω HD 650 and HD 800 I have (a bit artificial and strained sounding).

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #5,948 of 9,627
I got four of them to read this thread recently 👍🏻

Season to taste?
I have a FiiO X7, which you might know is closely related to the Q5 and uses the same amp modules as the Q5 and Q5s. I have the medium power, single ended amp (AM2A), and I think the HD 650 and HD 660 S sound great with the default settings! A very rich and organic sound.

I like my ZX300 with my 150 Ω HD 660 S (balanced, very detailed and revealing), but it’s a little bit “off” sounding for the 300 Ω HD 650 and HD 800 I have (a bit artificial and strained sounding).

ITs nice to know Sennheiser is getting feedback from us .
I was looking for a new HD700 headphone that I want to buy its really hard to find it , do u have any Europe links that is trusted ? thanks

May 21, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #5,952 of 9,627
What did you dislike about the HD800S? What does the 660S do better than the HD800S?

My OPINION is (being neither a musician or music engineer nor having as much experience as many people here):

800S comfort - I don't know why people speak about it being so comfortable. My ears might be a bit big, but it seemed I was making considerable effort to get my earlobes in the cups properly. The odd way the pads are shallow which creates a very definite lip you've got to fit your ears into is annoying.

800S soundstage - Here too only in rare instances did I feel the staging lived up to what I kept reading about. It was certainly larger than 6 series, but not dramatically so. It was very on and off again based on the song.

800S General experience - The quality of the recording technologies (I would imagine by age), the mastering, etc combined to form a distinct image which swung from fantastic to terrible as you rotate through songs. The 800S is also great at placing you in the conductor position, or 10 rows back, or in an amphitheater, or far back in a crowd, or at ground level in a stadium based on the material. Some people might love this. I hated it. It feels like I'm jumping through space and time listening to music. I found out quickly that I value consistency of presentation after listening to this headphone. Not to mention it's quite ruthless and absolutely destroys the enjoyability of any material with flaws.

800S - It's a bit bass shy. I'd heard the complaint and hoped I wouldn't care, given that I'm not really a bass head anyway. While it excels at large instrumental pieces it's not as incredibly impressive with modern pop, rock, etc. Strings sound off to me in a way that's difficult to pinpoint. They are wrong in some way. Perhaps since I'm not a musician I'm used to them being wrong and hearing them be correct makes me think they're wrong. I don't know. But I do know the 660S has better strings IMO than the 800S (and even 600) does.

800S - $1399 On sale. That's far too much. It's better than the 660S (in certain ways), but not overwhelmingly so. I honestly would say ~$750 would be a more reasonable price. There never should have been an HD700 and it should have existed in that slot instead. I would possibly keep it as a curiosity at that price.

660S - It's the golden child of the 600 and 650. It's just doing everything right. It's a bit cleaner than the 600, faster, with slightly more bass and it's just punchy and FUN. I'm smiling, swinging from side to side, and tapping my foot all the time. Presentation/experience is consistent. Everything is full, strings sound spot on, it's almost lush in just the right instances. If I had to pin it down to where I'm at while listening I'd say I'm within feet of the musician, under a large stone bridge, outside. It's just rained and the air still has that pleasant smell. People are smiling as the song is performed. It just straight up makes me happy. In comparison the 800S leaves me wondering how I should feel.

If I had to put percentages on it (which I shouldn't and will surely regret), I'd say the 660S is 90% of the 800S for 1/3rd the price without the presentation hangups, and is better in the ways I care about.

Maybe Sennheiser will put something together in the next few years I don't have these reservations about. I hope so.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #5,953 of 9,627
So I was right about the 660s :)

So true … the problem with this hobby is when u get the headphone u want after some time u looking for something better or different . HD660s is a type of headphone that u always have there trying to find something better or different but to me HD660s is a headphone that do everything great .
Imaging ok , Speed ok , smooth ok , clear ok , good service ok , matched drivers ok , build quality ok, detachable cable and pads ok, openness ok, realistic soundstage ok , balanced sound not to bright not to smooth ok , sound doesnt change moving the ear cups ok , very light plastic ok .

So in the end getting HD800s DT1990 R70X Sundara etch etch you get some things better but there is no way u can do everything good like HD660s do .

HD660S are the Swiss army knife of Headphones .

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #5,955 of 9,627
One of the main things I don’t get with the HD660s is the 150 ohms. If you are creating yet another headphone in a series that has helped spawn more tube amplifiers than all the other headphones out there combined..you may want to leave the impedance where it’s at:wink:
Hell the 600/650 is still being used as a reference can for the people who build headphone amplifiers...and when you then look at the very folks who buy these headphones you’ll either see the professional music crowd that more than often work with studio gear (that quite easily drives a 300 ohm can, and also prominently features gear with high output impedance which makes the 300 ohm vital for a clear sound quality)...as well as the headphone community with their Bottlehead Cracks and various balanced monsteramps that could drive several 300 ohm Sennies without breaking a sweat.
...so why on earth would Sennheiser make a 150 ohm headphone in a series that almost exclusively cater to folks who have come to rely on the 300 ohm factor and quite possibly have built up an entire system around this very fact (the tube gang)?
I get it though..when every other headphone manufacturer focuses on making headphones with lower impedance and higher sensitivity, why wouldn’t Sennheiser? I just think they forgot who exactly they were selling these headphones to:wink:
I say this as someone who really digs both the HD660s as well as the person child the HD58X...yet I still feel Sennheiser dropped the ball on this. Big time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back