Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
May 3, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #5,911 of 9,618
I have thr chance of buying a pair of 1 year old HD660S in mint condition for 180 euros. Do you guys think its worth it? Specially since i already have the hd6xx.

To be honest i actually even liked the 600 more than the 6xx because it sounded more forward and agressive but o had to sell them because they caused me tinitus after a short period of listening.

But if these are somewhere in the middle....

What do you guus think?
Finally, yes go for it try it out. For that price you can resell it easyly.

May 3, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #5,912 of 9,618
I have thr chance of buying a pair of 1 year old HD660S in mint condition for 180 euros. Do you guys think its worth it? Specially since i already have the hd6xx.

To be honest i actually even liked the 600 more than the 6xx because it sounded more forward and agressive but o had to sell them because they caused me tinitus after a short period of listening.

But if these are somewhere in the middle....

What do you guus think?
I think for this price yeah for sure. For most people they sound closer to hd600 taste. Think it like a mix of hd600 and 650.

May 6, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #5,913 of 9,618
20200506_170328.jpg
15887777130466068671365046596992.jpg

As my 4.4mm cable plug shows extreme wear now and Sennheiser only has a very expensive replacement with the same wire but better plug, I ordered areplacement and an extender 4.4mm to 4 pin XLR for my amp from Forzaaudioworks.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #5,914 of 9,618
20200506_170328.jpg15887777130466068671365046596992.jpg
As my 4.4mm cable plug shows extreme wear now and Sennheiser only has a bery expensive replacement with the same wire but better plug, I ordered areplacement and an extender 4.4mm to 4 pin XLR for my amp from Forzaaudioworks.
In my opinion Original Sennheiser cables are amazing quality, But again I have bought FOW Claire because of the looks also great quality Cables and Great support I have to say . My only problem was the connectors the viablue on my cable never worked well for me (always pops out) and I bought an 3,5 female to 3.5 ,male audio engine small adapter glue it with silicone( that I can easily take it off if I want) and now works ok , Also the Sennheiser original pins compared to FOW are different ( FOW support said its not a problem that their are bigger ,I guess they know better) .
I was thinking of buying these Noir like yours but everyone that I asked told me that there is always memory on the cable and this is something that I don't like .

I wish i could find a cable to HD6 series that is like B&W p series or B&O headphone cables great quality no memmory ,very thin very durable .

May 6, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #5,915 of 9,618
I have 3 Claire Noir cable they are a pleasure to handle and have no memory at all.
15887814271074596019536890865172.jpg

May 6, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #5,917 of 9,618
May 6, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #5,918 of 9,618
Hybrid or Mk2? Any sound difference?
Cable sound difference is something strange to debate :) most people don't hear a difference , and some others do … for me there was no sound difference it just feels like there is a little bit better separation on my 660s but then again after a lot of changes on the cables and listening a lot of songs some times I can hear it some not. So if u ask me if there is a difference it will be small and that's an answer that both sides I think approve.
I think its mostly about the build quality and the looks don't expect a 150-300 euros cable makes a big difference in sound this is something that personally don't believe what ever the materials exotic or not.
And we are talking about stock original cables vs premium after market and no 10 euros cables from ebay .

May 6, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #5,921 of 9,618
Cable sound difference is something strange to debate :) most people don't hear a difference , and some others do … for me there was no sound difference it just feels like there is a little bit better separation on my 660s but then again after a lot of changes on the cables and listening a lot of songs some times I can hear it some not. So if u ask me if there is a difference it will be small and that's an answer that both sides I think approve.
I think its mostly about the build quality and the looks don't expect a 150-300 euros cable makes a big difference in sound this is something that personally don't believe what ever the materials exotic or not.
And we are talking about stock original cables vs premium after market and no 10 euros cables from ebay .

I never bought any headphone cables to make my headphones sound better, but that is interesting topic.

The right lenght and my preferred connector FAW Noir cable for my HD800S was 100% worth it IMO. I'm just having hard time justifying the price with my HD660S. It has been in my shopping cart couple of times though. Might order one when the Black Friday comes.

May 6, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #5,922 of 9,618
I
I never bought any headphone cables to make my headphones sound better, but that is interesting topic.

The right lenght and my preferred connector FAW Noir cable for my HD800S was 100% worth it IMO. I'm just having hard time justifying the price with my HD660S. It has been in my shopping cart couple of times though. Might order one when the Black Friday comes.
LOL, in my case I end up replacing the stock because I want it to look good, be less stiff and more portable.

May 6, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #5,923 of 9,618

Same reason mainly i wanted 1.5 meter cable and whenni saw the Braided claire hybrid black cable i really like it. Yeah they are expensive that true 400.for 660s and 150 for cable are a lot but at 80-100 i think they worth it .
Lets not forget we all love headphones so its not only about sound , my wife tells me why u have the headphones on the kitchen table ? I just want to see them all the time :) .
I wish i would ever have the opportunity to see up close Klipsch Heritage headphone.

May 7, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #5,924 of 9,618
Like others stated here, I bought the FAW cables not because I wanted to change the sound big time. As these three headphones are my favourites in stock form, why should I want different sound at all? For the HD660S I needed to replace the 4.4mm balanced cable because the plug lost all its gold. And for portable unse it is simply too long. For the HD800 I wanted a 4.4 mm cable to be able to use it from my Sony DAP. And for the DT1770 Pro I also just wanted a nice and shorter cable for portable use. Especially the HD660S like the HD650 cables are very simple made. Parallel lines and the plus and minus line for each channel are isolated by an enamel layer on the plus line. They are simple made and get the job done, that's it. Here I think the new FAW cable makes some audible difference, not so much on the HS800 or the DT1770 Pro. It opens up the soundstage and seems to increase detail across the FR range. But again it does not make the HD660S a complete different headphone. One note on the DT1770 and DT1990, they both are tamed in regards of treble compared to the dot 990 or DT770. Like them a lot.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #5,925 of 9,618
Like others stated here, I bought the FAW cables not because I wanted to change the sound big time. As these three headphones are my favourites in stock form, why should I want different sound at all? For the HD660S I needed to replace the 4.4mm balanced cable because the plug lost all its gold. And for portable unse it is simply too long. For the HD800 I wanted a 4.4 mm cable to be able to use it from my Sony DAP. And for the DT1770 Pro I also just wanted a nice and shorter cable for portable use. Especially the HD660S like the HD650 cables are very simple made. Parallel lines and the plus and minus line for each channel are isolated by an enamel layer on the plus line. They are simple made and get the job done, that's it. Here I think the new FAW cable makes some audible difference, not so much on the HS800 or the DT1770 Pro. It opens up the soundstage and seems to increase detail across the FR range. But again it does not make the HD660S a complete different headphone. One note on the DT1770 and DT1990, they both are tamed in regards of treble compared to the dot 990 or DT770. Like them a lot.

When should I get worried?

- Two out of three favourite headphones are the same as mine.
- We both seem to like FAW Noir cables
- 4.4mm Pentaconn is my preferred connector

Just don't tell me that you ordered them 1,5m long... :fearful:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back