Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 9, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #5,732 of 9,618
So what sounds better, the cloth from Amazon or the HD800 pads?
They're both probably going to do the same job. Cloth from Amazon is the cheaper route

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #5,734 of 9,618
Thanks! Any links to some preferred cloth sold at Amazon? I've seen a few but it looks (at least in the photos) like the cloth is too thick.
I don't plan on using the mod but what you could do is just use a pair of stockings to cover the driver itself from dust and buy a meshed cloth to put over it. I've linked some cloth below that looks exactly like the material that Sennheiser used for the HD800 dust cover.

https://www.amazon.com/ZUINIUBI-Spe...keywords=speaker+fabric&qid=1583801648&sr=8-6

The HD800 series actually uses something similar to stocking material to cover up the actual driver from finer particles and cover that over with the mesh dust cover for bigger particles. If you don't care about aesthetics you could literally just use a stocking

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #5,735 of 9,618
Thanks! Any links to some preferred cloth sold at Amazon? I've seen a few but it looks (at least in the photos) like the cloth is too thick.

Some headphones use acoustic fabric or cloth or foam … I think cloth would be always thick and fabric would not , Senn uses Cloth on High end HD800 in my understanding , personally I like fabric more , its thinner most times is better acoustic transparent and doesnt let dust pass easy .
Cloth and Fabric cant go wrong :) .
If you want Fabric this from amazon looks good https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Gril...83829269&sprefix=speaker+grill,aps,311&sr=8-3 .

About sound … I bealive that High penetrated air fabric will always have more openness , separation, and more sparkle , with faster bass . And thick cloth would make highs smoother and overall sound more natural ? This is how I can see it …

PS. I hated this bad quality foam from the start … it reminds me the cheap Airplane gifted headphones foam very bad, I never had a headphone over 200 euros with that kind of foam , All of them B&W , B&O,BOSE have fabric or cloth … Just look what BWP7 use …(and lets not forget that P7 have much much slower and heavy cone drivers )

Attachments

• BW-P7-Specifications.jpg
    BW-P7-Specifications.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 10, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #5,736 of 9,618
Some headphones use acoustic fabric or cloth or foam … I think cloth would be always thick and fabric would not , Senn uses Cloth on High end HD800 in my understanding , personally I like fabric more , its thinner most times is better acoustic transparent and doesnt let dust pass easy .
Cloth and Fabric cant go wrong :) .
If you want Fabric this from amazon looks good https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Grill-Cloth-Fabric-Repair/dp/B00A8PCU7I/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3J29BNOD6ADZX&keywords=speaker+grill+fabric&qid=1583829269&sprefix=speaker+grill,aps,311&sr=8-3 .

About sound … I bealive that High penetrated air fabric will always have more openness , separation, and more sparkle , with faster bass . And thick cloth would make highs smoother and overall sound more natural ? This is how I can see it …

PS. I hated this bad quality foam from the start … it reminds me the cheap Airplane gifted headphones foam very bad, I never had a headphone over 200 euros with that kind of foam , All of them B&W , B&O,BOSE have fabric or cloth … Just look what BWP7 use …(and lets not forget that P7 have much much slower and heavy cone drivers )

I ordered the Visaton 80930. Do you think that this material is sufficient for protecting against dust, or is something else necessary since I am taking out the stock foam?

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #5,737 of 9,618
Like Taz777 described. You can pop off the pads and pull out the insert but the thing is the shape is kind of imprinted to the shape of the 700 & 800 ear cups. Like Taz & Trip commented if you find a similar fabric it would work better. I just pulled the insert from my 800 to wash so i've added a picture of what the look like below. If you bought them as a spare and trimmed them down they could probably fit.

Parts number is: 549061

image0 (1).jpg
image2.jpg

I am interested to know if this Cloth from HD800 can be used on HD660s do the pads close after placing these thick cloths ? If they do … I will surely buy , I like the S logo on them.

Mar 10, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #5,738 of 9,618
I ordered the Visaton 80930. Do you think that this material is sufficient for protecting against dust, or is something else necessary since I am taking out the stock foam?

I am 100% sure that this German Visaton fabric is the best u can use , its the only fabric that has very very good air penetration , but it doesnt let any dust to pass , I am sure because after using a lot of fabrics this one from Visaton was the best . I used Silk, I Used foam, I used cloth from Bose headphones and the best was that Visaton … Some other fabrics that I saw on stores for Speakers some of them was so open and let the dust pass, and some others was so close that was dampening the sound .
I (have to buy Sennheiser original HD800 cloth to test it also)

This is how Visaton 80930 looks like .
20200220_224341.jpg
20200220_150126.jpg

Mar 10, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #5,739 of 9,618
I am 100% sure that this German Visaton fabric is the best u can use , its the only fabric that has very very good air penetration , but it doesnt let any dust to pass , I am sure because after using a lot of fabrics this one from Visaton was the best . I used Silk, I Used foam, I used cloth from Bose headphones and the best was that Visaton … Some other fabrics that I saw on stores for Speakers some of them was so open and let the dust pass, and some others was so close that was dampening the sound .
I (have to buy Sennheiser original HD800 cloth to test it also)

This is how Visaton 80930 looks like .

Nice. Thanks for the visuals too. How did you cut it, just regular scissors? I ordered a 50 cm x 1 m piece, so it should be sufficient for all four 6-series Sennheisers I have (if indeed I do like the change - visually it's a winner, but will also see how my ears like the change).

For the HD800 cloth... it seems like many parts are not available on the Sennheiser site. Good luck and let us know if you find a supplier.

Mar 10, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #5,740 of 9,618
I am interested to know if this Cloth from HD800 can be used on HD660s do the pads close after placing these thick cloths ? If they do … I will surely buy , I like the S logo on them.
The dust cover is pretty thin because it's more of a polyester mesh than actual cloth. The HD700, HD800, and HD800S all use the same dust cover. The problem is finding one for sale like Captain stated above. You might have to do some digging to find a pair. If you want the same effect just look at the mesh material I linked in post no.5734. Its pretty much the exact same material minus the embossed S logo.

Mar 10, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #5,741 of 9,618
Nice. Thanks for the visuals too. How did you cut it, just regular scissors? I ordered a 50 cm x 1 m piece, so it should be sufficient for all four 6-series Sennheisers I have (if indeed I do like the change - visually it's a winner, but will also see how my ears like the change).

For the HD800 cloth... it seems like many parts are not available on the Sennheiser site. Good luck and let us know if you find a supplier.
I take of the original foam and place it on a paper i draw the foam shape on the paper and after that i cut the paper 1cm smaller than foam . I take that 1 cm smaller oval shape paper and place it over the visaton fiber and cut it around with scissor.
U should choose a hard paper that doesnt bend so it will be more easy to do.
Trust me looks are way better.
About sound i know that everything is about taste but personally i did it to all my Senns and i cant go back the sound is more open airy and feels faster to. But again that's me.
Some people may dont listen this change or some may like the default foam sound that is softer.

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #5,742 of 9,618
The dust cover is pretty thin because it's more of a polyester mesh than actual cloth. The HD700, HD800, and HD800S all use the same dust cover. The problem is finding one for sale like Captain stated above. You might have to do some digging to find a pair. If you want the same effect just look at the mesh material I linked in post no.5734. Its pretty much the exact same material minus the embossed S logo.

Thank u so much for the help.
My english its not so good ... So if i understand correct this polyester mesh fits inside and pads are closing click positive.
Another question is this... Because i dont understand it... Under this polyester mesh use by HD800 it has a dust proof material ? And if it does that means the polyester mesh has big openings and cant be used alone ?
The link that u provide that is the same material can be used alone ? Or it needs another layer under like the original polyester mesh ?
Thanks a lot.

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #5,743 of 9,618
Thank u so much for the help.
My english its not so good ... So if i understand correct this polyester mesh fits inside and pads are closing click positive.
Another question is this... Because i dont understand it... Under this polyester mesh use by HD800 it has a dust proof material ? And if it does that means the polyester mesh has big openings and cant be used alone ?
The link that u provide that is the same material can be used alone ? Or it needs another layer under like the original polyester mesh ?
Thanks a lot.
You need a protective layer under it. If you take a look at my previous post I suggested people use a black stocking because it's transparent enough to let the sound through without effecting the way it sounds while it should prevent fine dust particles from getting into the drivers. I've attached a picture of the HD800 driver below. As you can see the driver itself is covered in a very fine screen material then the polyester mesh is placed on top.

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 1.51.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 1.40.27 PM.png

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #5,744 of 9,618
You need a protective layer under it. If you take a look at my previous post I suggested people use a black stocking because it's transparent enough to let the sound through without effecting the way it sounds while it should prevent fine dust particles from getting into the drivers. I've attached a picture of the HD800 driver below. As you can see the driver itself is covered in a very fine screen material then the polyester mesh is placed on top.

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 1.51.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 1.40.27 PM.png
Great post... I think this solution look the best the fine material protecting driver from dust and over it the open mesh letting sound goes out looks the best.
Happy to know about this now.
I think i will stay with the fabric solution on HD6 series for now using 1 layer only .
These photos showing the driver are great.
By the way how do comfort feels on HD800 compared with HD6

Mar 10, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #5,745 of 9,618
Great post... I think this solution look the best the fine material protecting driver from dust and over it the open mesh letting sound goes out looks the best.
Happy to know about this now.
I think i will stay with the fabric solution on HD6 series for now using 1 layer only .
These photos showing the driver are great.
By the way how do comfort feels on HD800 compared with HD6

In my personal opinion the HD800 series is more comfortable. Not by a huge margin but enough for you to notice. There are three main talking points:

- Clamp force is lighter compared to the 600 series and has greater adjustability
- D shaped pads covers your entire ear without touching them and you don't generally need to break the pads in
- The HD800 series (HD800/HD800S) only weigh about 70 grams more than the HD600 series so you really don't feel a difference if you swapped between the 800 & 600

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back