Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 6, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #5,716 of 9,628
I'm a relatively new HD660S owner.

I've spent a short time with my HD660S headphones. My comparison is with the beyerdynamic Amiron Home. Initial thoughts are that the Amiron Homes are clearer, offer a much wider and deeper soundstage, and provide a jaw-dropping sound that I'm not hearing with the HD660S yet. I'm hoping that after a good burn-in period the HD660S will improve a lot as I can already hear them getting better. The Amiron Home feel much classier and better made.

But - and this is key to me - the Amiron Homes weigh far too much. The HD660S headphones are so much lighter and more comfortable to wear, even more so for bedtime listening when laying down. I mainly listen to them using the 4.4mm balanced cable. For practical purposes the HD660S headphones suit me better, especially given that they're a bit easier to drive.

Having personally owned both the Amiron Home and HD 660 S for a long period of time in the past; the HD 660 S will never have the Amiron’s clarity or its soundstaging capabilities. Nor are the Senns quite as good at imaging, though the HD 660 S is good in this aspect. They have quite different sound signatures and the Senns are more forward in the midrange and are more intimate. While I personally like the HD 660 S and Amiron Home overall about the same; I never thought the HD 660 S were as technically capable as the similarly priced Amiron Home/DT 1990 Pro. The Beyers do weigh a decent amount more than the Senns and I also found the HD660 S more comfortable than the Amiron.

The jaw-dropping sound you’re experiencing may partly have to do with the dynamic range and driver excursion. You’ll notice the Beyers will get more dynamically intense and powerful at louder volumes than the Senns. The HD 660 S seem to hit a brick wall in terms of excursion in comparison, especially in the bass.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #5,717 of 9,628
I'm a relatively new HD660S owner.

I've spent a short time with my HD660S headphones. My comparison is with the beyerdynamic Amiron Home. Initial thoughts are that the Amiron Homes are clearer, offer a much wider and deeper soundstage, and provide a jaw-dropping sound that I'm not hearing with the HD660S yet. I'm hoping that after a good burn-in period the HD660S will improve a lot as I can already hear them getting better. The Amiron Home feel much classier and better made.

But - and this is key to me - the Amiron Homes weigh far too much. The HD660S headphones are so much lighter and more comfortable to wear, even more so for bedtime listening when laying down. I mainly listen to them using the 4.4mm balanced cable. For practical purposes the HD660S headphones suit me better, especially given that they're a bit easier to drive.

Strangely even that i dont bealive in burn in , all my Senn HD6 series sound a little different after some hours. Other headphones that i have didint. For example 660s sound to me more bright with lower bass ...now bass feel thicker and highs smoother.
About Beyerdynamic Amiron i dont have them but i listen these and 1990 at store ...the U shape sound is excited at first and yeah they feel cleaner because of this ...soundstage is also bigger build quality its great ( not BW or BO great but ok).
About 660S yeah plastic doesnt feel premium But they are lighter and better ear shaped. Sound 660s are not U shaped headphones they are smoother with no deep on mids and vocals with no bright sound and not this fake soundstage that HD800 1990 and some akgs have.
Imaging and seperation to me on 660s is something that is hard to beat.
In my opinion 650 and 660s are headphones that are the standars to unserstand how every other headphone sound for example... 990 have more bass than 660s or hd 700 have more highs... That kind of Headphone is the HD660S... And personally they are better than 650 also because of this imaging and separation.
Does this make HD660s better than others ? It depends by the taste... Some people dont like this Signature.
Beyers are amazing for what they are and my favorite in ear headphones are the beyer soul bird for these reasons soundstage fun sound feel cleaner etch etch but i can understand that they are not what it feels correct to me.
HD660s gives me the sound like it is and Beyers make the sound exciting.
I think u should be happy because u have 2 amazing headphones for different reasons. If i was u i will stop comparing and enjoy both.
Tip... For hd660s take off the foam on the earcups and replace it with sound fabric that used in speakers high air penetrated fabric. And also pads need to smooth up so u can get whar in my opinion sound excellent.

Mar 7, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #5,718 of 9,628
Tip... For hd660s take off the foam on the earcups and replace it with sound fabric that used in speakers high air penetrated fabric. And also pads need to smooth up so u can get whar in my opinion sound excellent.

Wow, thank you for this tip, It's very helpful.
Either move or changing this foam with a different material really helped me taming the upper treble VERY much. :):):)
That stock foam have some weird sound to my ears to be honest.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #5,720 of 9,628
Strangely even that i dont bealive in burn in , all my Senn HD6 series sound a little different after some hours. Other headphones that i have didint. For example 660s sound to me more bright with lower bass ...now bass feel thicker and highs smoother.
About Beyerdynamic Amiron i dont have them but i listen these and 1990 at store ...the U shape sound is excited at first and yeah they feel cleaner because of this ...soundstage is also bigger build quality its great ( not BW or BO great but ok).
About 660S yeah plastic doesnt feel premium But they are lighter and better ear shaped. Sound 660s are not U shaped headphones they are smoother with no deep on mids and vocals with no bright sound and not this fake soundstage that HD800 1990 and some akgs have.
Imaging and seperation to me on 660s is something that is hard to beat.
In my opinion 650 and 660s are headphones that are the standars to unserstand how every other headphone sound for example... 990 have more bass than 660s or hd 700 have more highs... That kind of Headphone is the HD660S... And personally they are better than 650 also because of this imaging and separation.
Does this make HD660s better than others ? It depends by the taste... Some people dont like this Signature.
Beyers are amazing for what they are and my favorite in ear headphones are the beyer soul bird for these reasons soundstage fun sound feel cleaner etch etch but i can understand that they are not what it feels correct to me.
HD660s gives me the sound like it is and Beyers make the sound exciting.
I think u should be happy because u have 2 amazing headphones for different reasons. If i was u i will stop comparing and enjoy both.

I find it interesting that Sennheiser uses fabric inserts in their 700 & 800 series instead of the foam inserts.

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #5,722 of 9,628
So how can one try this on the 660S? Which fabric, from where?

I was pondering this too. You need to carefully pull the earcup cushions off. Once you do, you'll see an oval piece of foam that goes between the cushions and the earcup. I believe the idea is to use an acoustically transparent speaker grille cloth instead of the foam.

Also, when you fit the cushions back on, pinch them all the way around against the earcup frame and you'll notice a slight click as they bed into position. Don't use too much force and keep your fingers on the perimeters of the cushions and earcup frames only.

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #5,723 of 9,628
So how can one try this on the 660S? Which fabric, from where?
Like Taz777 described. You can pop off the pads and pull out the insert but the thing is the shape is kind of imprinted to the shape of the 700 & 800 ear cups. Like Taz & Trip commented if you find a similar fabric it would work better. I just pulled the insert from my 800 to wash so i've added a picture of what the look like below. If you bought them as a spare and trimmed them down they could probably fit.

Parts number is: 549061

image0 (1).jpg

image2.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #5,725 of 9,628
I'm going to try this tomorrow. I have a couple of old speakers in my shed that are due to be binned but they have a grille on the front from which I'll cut the cloth out.
I would advise you clean the grille cloth material with water and mild detergent and sun drying it before you throw it into your headphone. The driver is exposed under the foam so you wouldn't want dust or particulates going into your driver.

Mar 9, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #5,726 of 9,628
Mar 9, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #5,727 of 9,628
I would advise you clean the grille cloth material with water and mild detergent and sun drying it before you throw it into your headphone. The driver is exposed under the foam so you wouldn't want dust or particulates going into your driver.

Exactly thats what I am also saying to all people taking of the Foam from ear pads ( or 58X back) that the driver must be protected by the dust or anything else . Thats why a fabric for speakers must be used , it must allow sound waves easily go out but dust dont get in .

Mar 9, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #5,728 of 9,628
I've just replaced the foam with acoustically transparent cloth (speaker grille material). It has quite a difference to the sound from the HD660S. The veil has been removed quite a bit. I hear a more airy and open sound. There's a bit more sparkle with some enhanced top end. I can hear instruments separated a tiny bit more.

This was basically a low-cost upgrade for me - just find a speaker grille panel that you don't need and cut out ovals from it. I purchased some acoustically transparent cloth from Amazon UK so I have enough to do around 500 pairs of HD660S now.

Mar 9, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #5,729 of 9,628
I've just replaced the foam with acoustically transparent cloth (speaker grille material). It has quite a difference to the sound from the HD660S. The veil has been removed quite a bit. I hear a more airy and open sound. There's a bit more sparkle with some enhanced top end. I can hear instruments separated a tiny bit more.

This was basically a low-cost upgrade for me - just find a speaker grille panel that you don't need and cut out ovals from it. I purchased some acoustically transparent cloth from Amazon UK so I have enough to do around 500 pairs of HD660S now.
Happy to see that u like it.

Mar 9, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #5,730 of 9,628

We can also paint them with R and L letters looks nice. And fabric can also beem painted different colours for example white... They look nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back